Is the Nitecore EA81 cell config 4S2P? Meaning can it run on 4AA as well as 8AA?

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
I noticed in this review of the Nitecore EA8 that it can run on 4AA because of the 4S2P cell configuration. Does the EA81 have the same cell configuration?

It looks like a fantastic light. For some reason being able to run off of just 4AA is a really attractive feature. I'll be using this as a general purpose and search/rescue/emergency light in 3rd world countries. So AA seems like the best choice.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
IF it is 4S2P, and you decide to run it on just four cells, you won't have access to Turbo for sure, and I have my doubts about high as well. One series string of AA cells just can't put out the current needed to drive the emitter that hard. It's handy in a pinch, but you will want to use all eight cells as much as possible. If you are going Third World in emergency situations, you may want to look into NiMH and solar, with lithium or alkaline primaries as backup. Power and supplies are limited in many of those areas anyway, and an emergency situation will just make it worse.

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
IF it is 4S2P, and you decide to run it on just four cells, you won't have access to Turbo for sure, and I have my doubts about high as well. One series string of AA cells just can't put out the current needed to drive the emitter that hard. It's handy in a pinch, but you will want to use all eight cells as much as possible. If you are going Third World in emergency situations, you may want to look into NiMH and solar, with lithium or alkaline primaries as backup. Power and supplies are limited in many of those areas anyway, and an emergency situation will just make it worse.

Thanks for the great response. That review I posted for the EA8 did some runtime comparison on just 4AA. Less than half, but not bad results. I figured I'd likely never have to use it, be like the option. and in that situation I don't imagine I'd need full power.

Most of the time I should have access to decent power, though I'm researching mobile solar options here (I'm living here now, and power hasn't been bad, but I will be working in the bush on and off for social work / humanitarian visits).

I'll be having these brought over from the US, so I was planning on 2 full sets of Eneloops. In the larger cities, decent batteries can be found, but just cheap cheap stuff elsewhere.

I have a Sunnywayman v11r that I love, but my supply of 123's is limited, and it obviously doesn't output anything close to the EA81.

An Amazon reviewer said that it does run off of just 4... Though I'll await confirmation here.