help: strange browser behaviour

K-T

*Moderator*
Since last week my browser is behaving in a strange way. Usually not all pictures are loaded, eg. the posticons in forums (not only CPF) are gone. I have noticed that looks like most of the time small icons "get lost". I have checked my internet connection but everything is ok. Erased temp.internet.files, cookies, etc. Nada. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I am using WinXP and IE6.0 . This has never happened before. No hardware or software has been removed or added.

Klaus. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
you did all the things id recomend long as ya isp is up to speed.thatsindeed odd.maybe try another browser ?

K-T

*Moderator*
Hi Raggie,
I could try another browser (and I am somewhat waiting for these who recomend on changing to xx or yy brand browser since they are better) but it has worked for the last 2 1/2 years, why the sudden strang behaviour? So changing the browser is no solution to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My ISP is working fine, my neighbour has the identical one and doesn't have any trouble.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you getting a red x where the picture should be or nothing at all ?

K-T

*Moderator*
Where the icon or similar should be there is an empty spot with a little frame-like border, as most of the time the posticons for example are rather small the red x cannot be seen but I guess it is there.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
did you turn off images under tools internet options advanced multimedia? i doubt ya did but maybe ya did it on accident?

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok a test:

You should see my avatar (arc AAA) here:
fc99c2a5.jpg

You should see the CPF pill/logo here:
newtitle.gif

You should see the help graemlins here:
help.gif

Clicking this link should show a large picture of a ferrari.

Let me know what you can/can't see

K-T

*Moderator*
Problem is, it doesn't happen all the time, thus right now all your pictures show fine. It's just from time to time and I cannot figure out why. could lack of ram be a reason? Didn't have any problems with my 168MB of ram. I don't usually have lots of programms running at the same time due to my slow cpu but it happens from time to time - I just cannot remember if it was one of these incidents.

I just realized I should have taken a closer look at the situation when the images were missing - I am worried we won't get anywhere due to lack of additional informations on my side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
Did that already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

edit:

Here we go again:
mia.jpg

Only two broser windows open, nothing else. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

kfasold

Newly Enlightened
Images / other attachment types can be dropped upstream of you (i.e. at your ISP's router) during high-bandwidth utilization times; they're trying to get the 'good stuff' through, so assorted mime types are doppped.

kf

K-T

*Moderator*
That makes sense - now why didn't that happen the last years? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif And how do I fix it?

kfasold

Newly Enlightened
>>That makes sense - now why didn't that happen the last years?

Increasing use of broadband connections through the same 'pipe', trying to get more data/packets through...

>>And how do I fix it?

Change ISP's. You have no control over this 'filtering' (well, not actually filtering, more like 'selective discarding of content' based on mime type, not content) when
it occurs.

kf