please help (the led module burnt out and it does not use a drop-in module)

b9ye

Newly Enlightened
The led module in my flashlight burnt out after i bought it for a few days.......... suprisingly, it does not use a drop-in module. can anyone tell me what kind this is and where can i get a replacement? thx
IMG_0434.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Email sure fire...I'm certain they'd love to know about it...

Nah seriously you got what you paid for.
Hope you didn't pay much more than say...$6 shipped.

Edit:
It can be fixed but a different light may be less expensive than swapping in reliable parts.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it can be fixed. I consider that a drop in. Assuming it really is broken. Have you tested it? IF so, how? What is your soldering skill level? Have you heard of Fastech? Where do you live?
The problem could be any one or more of: battery, switch, driver, led, loose or dirty threads. We need some more troubleshooting to help narrow down the problem.

If you are wanting to learn and have some basic skills, we can likely walk you through fixing it. Many of us have swapped tons of drivers and leds on these types of lights. That is a easy light to work on. Great for a beginner to learn with. If thats not for you, sell it as a host for $5 or so.

Keep in mind, it is a budget light. So I wouldn't get too carried away.

Wellcome to the forum.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it can be fixed. I consider that a drop in. Assuming it really is broken. Have you tested it? IF so, how? What is your soldering skill level? Have you heard of Fastech? Where do you live?
The problem could be any one or more of: battery, switch, driver, led, loose or dirty threads. We need some more troubleshooting to help narrow down the problem.

If you are wanting to learn and have some basic skills, we can likely walk you through fixing it. Many of us have swapped tons of drivers and leds on these types of lights. That is a easy light to work on. Great for a beginner to learn with. If thats not for you, sell it as a host for $5 or so.

Wellcome to the forum.

+1

Good little learning light, prob make a good mod host as well.
Many of us here can assist you if you'd like.
Where are you located?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
1.Get an AAx4 pack, cheap like $1.50.
2.Put 3 batteries in it and jumper the 4th slot.
3.With the battery pack switched on, touch the leads directly to the led terminals. This bypasses driver.
4.Under this direct drive configuration, the LED should light.

If the LED lights, then the problem is battery, switch, driver, or contacts leading to the LED.

New light, worked for a while, crapped out? Sounds like a cold solder joint from the factory (bad QC.)

b9ye

Newly Enlightened

Wellcome to the forum.

i really grateful that u guys are willing to assist, i heard a pop sound after i switched it on for a few minutes; i have more or less some understanding or electronics, i fix some of my electronics myself and i have checked out all the possible causes. i'm just not too interested in wasting my time to buy and solder the parts together since i know that there are a lot of drop-in modules on the market for sale. i'm a newbie to flashlights and is just wondering if there are any modules on the market that may fit my flashlight. thx a lot guys

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Module replacement may be tricky, depending on brand.
The pop you heard was most likely something in the driver rather than the LED itself. If you look very close, you should be able to visually check the LED for damage. Bond wires/dome/Phosphor will have visible damage if it "popped".
Replacing the driver shouldn't be too much of an issue for someone with your skills.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you already owned a solder gun and had the desire, I would say fix her up. A new driver (from the sound of things, thats a pun, its the driver) you can get a new one for under $5 that will work.

b9ye

Newly Enlightened
.................after the module burnt out only a fews days after i bought it, i already imagine that this product is made in CHINA, but i just didnt expect it to be this crude.............
IMG_0445.jpg
........seriously?????all they did is solder a resistor to the led without a driver?????????????? now i really need some help....anyone know how to remove the bottom panel from the "module"?????????? thx guys

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're referring to the battery contact side, in Most of the lights I mod, a simple dental pick works well to pry it out, otherwise take a chopstick and push it put from the other side, but that method could (rarely) snap the pcb.

b9ye

Newly Enlightened
anyone can recommend a good 5 mode driver and led that produces ~300 lumens? thx