4 LED 3D mag light.

Doug

Enlightened
Yup, he sells just the LED (I did talk to him about this). Can't remember how much though ... $18 I think... He makes them himself. Oh, and I think he did say he had to cut the reflector.

Doug

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
I looks nice, not sure how it would compare to anything. I wonder if you could just get the 4 LED lamp from them, or maybe he had to make the opening in the reflector larger also? Let us know if you get it.

Brock
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brock

Flashaholic
I looks nice, not sure how it would compare to anything. I wonder if you could just get the 4 LED lamp from them, or maybe he had to make the opening in the reflector larger also? Let us know if you get it.

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I should have it by Friday. I bought it yesterday via the Buy It Now option in an earlier auction. I'll let everyone know how it is and I'll try taking some pics.

jbechto

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm the guy who builds it. The bulb has 4 Nichia 5600 mcd 20 degree emission white LEDs and the resistor built into it. The bulb fits in the reflector with no modification, but I do have to dremel the bulb retaining ring to allow the Quad LEDs to fit through. The focusing works, but is definitely biased to the "flood" side. I leave the original spare bulb in the base and it still fits and works fine for those rare occasions that you may want to light up a hillside from 1/4 mile away. I do sell just the Quad bulb for $18.00 for those who have a flashlight already and don't mind doing the mod themselves. [email protected]

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
So what changes will I need to make to my 3 D-cell MAGLight to make this puppy work?

Also, what should I expect from this assembly as far as performance goes? I bought the 3-LED replacement lamp for a 3-cell light from NDS Electronics, and, while it scores pretty high on the nifty scale, it ranks pretty low on the usefulness scale in my light-polluted suburban neighborhood. It's suitable for walking the dog, because you generally pick up doggy-doo at arm's length, and there's plenty of discernible light at that distance, and because the color of the light and the brightness at the source make it highly noticeable by drivers at a good distance, but it is NOT the light for seeing things even one house down the street. Would your LED assembly perform noticeably better than this?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The light came today and it's pretty cool! It's not bright in sunlight but in a closet, the only place I could test, it's really cool. I'm going to take pictures tonight of the light with the LEDs and with the regular bulb for comparison.

Here's the quick and dirty comparison.

http://www.enteract.com/~rjs/ledlight

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by rszekeres on 01-18-2001 at 10:46 AM</font>

Brock

Flashaholic
Ted I am confused, Do you mean you had the Quantum sitting face down on a table? If that is the case I would imagine the heat would stay right at the lamp. I agree that it shouldn't melt no matter what. I did run a quantum face down using 4 D cell alkalines for over 60 hours without any problems. Beleive me I was supprised they didn't melt then. I will have to check the mA draw on NiMH vs alkaline, I can't imagine it would be more on NiMH since they run 1.2v per cell.

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I was powering a 3 led cluster with 4 aa Nimh batteries, they were on all night, pointing downward, through wide mesh screening, so heat build-up for this reason (as on a table) wouldn't be an issue -- yet in the morning the bulbs were all fused together, melted... I called Quantum ("2000") -- they said they would send a new bulb and not to use Nimh batteries again -- any one have a clue why not? (Has anyone run these cluster bulbs for more than a few hours ?)