Red light needed for night boating

jenks

Newly Enlightened
Looking for some advice...
Without getting into a night vision color discussion, I am looking for reccomendations on a good red light.

I'm thinking that it has to be weather/water resistant, have a switch for one handed use, flood over spot.
I think I want a dedicated light, not something like the SF A2 because I don't want to risk the chance that I will screw up and blast everybody with white light.
Lithiums and lanyards a plus...

Thoughts?
jenks

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps the Inova X5T might fill the bill. It's a flood rather than spot light. Has five 5mm LEDs and runs on 2x123A Lithium cells. Waterproof. It can be had with <font color="red"> red LEDs </font>, but you may have to search a little.

Below is a link to a place that has the red LED model:

Inova X5T Red LEDs

The Inova X5T has been very well received and I have bought 5 for myself, family and friends. No problems with any in over 8 months.

Britt
PS: The Surefire L1 with a red Luxeon 1 watt LED might also be a good idea. You have two levels of output, but both are red. I bought one with the green LED and am hoping it will be in my mailbox which I'm going to check right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
I would consider the Anglelux with the red filter in place
or if you want put a red lens on any light you have on hand
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

symes

Enlightened
Mmmm....depends on how much output you need...

Although I use an A2 for night sailing, I think that a red L1 (isn't there one up for sale somewhere on here?) might well do the trick. Really low light level for personal work and plenty of medium light available with a little more push. On my white one, I got around 80+ hours of good low level light and it was well over 100 hours before I lost the ability to go to a higher beam...

Or, for higher levels, a white A2 with a red filter cap? then you have the best of all worlds...

I guess "night boating" is a pretty wide description, but I am assuming that if you need a red light you are talking fairly low level, not trying to find buoys or dayboards in the fog!!

kind regards,

Simon

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am slatted for a red night vision preserving light too with flood VS spot.

My choice is an Inova X5T in Titanium finish (after seeing my roommates X1 in Titanium its a nice feel and finish) and I beleive it only uses 1 CR 123 with a dummy spacer. I might get some help from some of the modders on this forum and have them cut it down, possibly cut two of these lights down. The Inova X5TT (Tiny Tactical.) Maybe Roth can help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think the x5's have a standard LOTC. Twist for constant on, press for momentary.

They have a lifetime warranty and are waterproof, not just resistant so I wouldn't be scared to drop it into the water or go for a small swim with it at night. this is based upon my obeservation and feel of the X1, its fit and finish are superb, definately built like a tank.

At $30 or so from Meridian Tactical, its a good deal. I'll just have to wait a month before I go on a spending spree. I need to get back to work.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up my L1 this afternoon, I don't think in stock configuration it will be satisfactory as a flood. Also, a new one costs about 3 times what the X5T goes for.

Britt

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
You could go for a Red EverLed drop in.
KL1 or Kl3.
L1.
Infinity, maybe too dim?
X5.
Seems like there should be more but I can't think of any.
Inretech sells some red luxeon drop ins but they are for mags so not the most weatherproof.

jenks

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input folks.

The Inova X5T was what I was thinking about when I posted but was looking for alternatives as well.

As much as I like the SF L1 I think it may be more (and more expensive) than what I need.

If the UKE 2AA was a PR base I'd look at the Everled but I can't think of any great options for the Everled.

The Inretech red adapter looks like a good option...at least for proof of concept. I've certainly got enough dead MMs around. I would have to put a (UGH) Kroll on it though.

I also thought about the Infinity and the Pelican LED but I think the Infinity would not be bright enough and the Pelican is cute but Batteries are a PITA

I'm still looking at options if anyone can suggest anything else...

Thanks
Jenks

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use slip on filters that I get from Surefire, or make my own. I like this idea as opposed to dedicating a complete light to a single color. For me L4 I just got a F04, popped out the red lens, made a blue one, and carry both lenses with the light. I keep the F04 boot on the bezel without a lens just to protect it. Should I, God forbid, (Uhhh yeeeoouuch), drop it.

JohnJ80

Enlightened
I do a lot of night sailing both coastal and offshore. It is really hard for me to find a better altertnative than the A2 in red. You have the LEDs for nite vision and you have great bright incandescent with throw for looking at the top of the mast, for finding cans in channels etc.... Its really hard to beat. I know its more expensive, but hey, this is sailing where EVERYTHING is expensive (You've heard the old saw about yacht racing being like standing in a cold shower ripping up $100 bills....).

If you need a light for just reading charts, fixing stuff on deck at night etc... then i would recommend a headlamp like the Petzl Tikka+ (the new version) which has 4 LEDs plus you can add a red filter (change out the clear) and have your hands free at the same time.

J

jenks

Newly Enlightened
Johnj80

Thanks for your thoughts...
It won't be sailing-it will be getting hammered around in a Zodiac 733 during searches. Cold showers yes, not my $100 bills though.
Does the A2 switch like the L1? Is it two stage pressure activation? Past experience having this kind of fun tells me that bouncing around with cold fingers I won't be able to control it and will end up wiping out the whole crew"s night eyes...
I didn't realize that you could get filters for Tikka. Seems a bit of a waste though. Is there any red headlamps?
Photon fusion?
I kind of ruled out headlamps because it will be helmets on or off dependant on conditions. I may need to rethink this.
Has anyone modded a ARC LS to red? Red Robby perhaps?

Thanks for the input
jenks

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Electro Lumens new Angel Lux's can be bought with 3Watters. Put a red lense on it, hook it to your belt or vest so it shines below eye level.

haley1

Enlightened
Minimag with Opalec and accessory pack which includes lanyard, pocket clip,and red/blue filters. All for under $40. But an L1 with a flip top filter from bushwacker is really cool, albeit a little expensive. Four levels of brightness, two red, two white, and the cover flips open with a flick of the finger. Princton Tec also makes a red filter for their IMPACT II. It's twist on, but it's also dive rated, and uses AA's. I've use all with good results, although not for yachting. But, it was wet at times if that helps. Good luck.

JohnJ80

Enlightened
Jenks,

I have used an A2 in exactly the sort of circumstance you describe. Rough sees in an inflatable, bouncing around trying to find a channel marker etc.. What I do is turn the A2 on so it is on steady with RED LEDs then when I need to hit a can or find a mark or hazard, you just push the button to get the white incandescent light. Since its aimed out and away, you don't really hurt your night vision since most of the beam is thrown out in the distance. Because it has such a tight beam, there isn't enough spill to fill the boat with light and ruin your night vision of you or your shipmates.

Conversely you can also set up the switch so that you can only get the LEDs and no incandescent beam.

In all my years around boats, this thing is just about the best I have ever seen. Usually you wind up with two lights - a beam with throw and then the night vision preserving light. The throw lights have way too much side spill so you get blinded when the spill lights up the boat your in. The A2 is all on one and it is small enough to be really easily carried in a foul weather gear pocket plus it has a night tight bright incandescent beam.

As for price, I found mine deeply discounted at botach (http://botachtactical.com/sua2avfl.html) for $119. I see they are up to $129 but still a good price.

J.

Deanster

Enlightened
The only decent use I've found for my Inova 24/7 is in boating. I love having the red and dim white/bright white instantly available, and in a form factor that clips perfectly to the upper pocket of my PFD. Others have reported it not to be super-waterproof, but I've had no troubles in rain and splashes. Haven't immersed it yet though.

Anyway, it's another option, with lots of red light available instantly (though not as much as an X5), and dim/bright white on call, plus the various strobes - though I've never used them.