Turbo mode question...

redryder

Enlightened
Some lights have a turbo mode where it will step down after a certain amount of time/heat. My question is what level output will the light step down to. For example, a light with 8, 80, 500 lumen modes. Would the light step down from 550-->80 lumens?

ven

Flashaholic
Yes turbo is just that, like a burst for short uses and not prolonged like lower modes. Some lights run well in their turbo mode . For example the fenix tk75 2600lm will run for 20mins,the 2900lm version 15mins before step down to the next level. Of course if the light gets too uncomfortable in the turbo time then intervention is required . So never leave a light in turbo unattended as an example as could damage the led/driver and what ever it is sat on.

Depending on the size of the light(larger better heat dissipation) will depend on how long the turbo could run,some timed step down,others by temperature.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
In some flashlights, the step-down is to the next lower level. In others, the step-down is to a different level, one that cannot be accessed in any other way.

On some recent models, Eagletac and Olight have begun publishing two lumen levels for modes that have a step-down. You get the lumens for output before and after the step-down. I wish more flashlight manufacturers would do this.

Better still, I wish they would publish runtime charts.

redryder

Enlightened
In some flashlights, the step-down is to the next lower level. In others, the step-down is to a different level, one that cannot be accessed in any other way.

On some recent models, Eagletac and Olight have begun publishing two lumen levels for modes that have a step-down. You get the lumens for output before and after the step-down. I wish more flashlight manufacturers would do this.

Better still, I wish they would publish runtime charts.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought. I would have to read the instructions for the specific light to see how it behaves.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My LED Lenser P7 is rated at 201 and 11.
Turbo gives 300.

It has a momentary on = turbo, press forward for high, reverse to low, forward to turbo then off.

My Elzetta Alpha has a hi lo tailcap that has a sorta turbo feature where if you press the cap while it's on low (7+/- lumens) in a certain way it turbos to hi (215+/- lumens)

So it really depends on the light and how the manufacturer decided to turbo them.