new? led keychain light

D

**DONOTDELETE**

anyone seen a "neoglo" keychain flashlight? available at target stores marketed by clearline concepts. website teamprod.com but site was under construction as of 1/14/01.about 1 inch shorter than mag solitaire, seems to be built in the same case as one of those cheap laser pointers. available in red green and blue'(no white that i've seen but i'm waiting)
smile.gif
momentary pushbutton on side of case and plastic cap over led. runs on 3 lr44 batts. not terribly bright but adequate in very dark. the best part, at $5.00 per copy it's tough to beat! anyone seen one please let me know what you think.
ps. my first post. also excellent sites by brock and craig johnson! nice to see other led flashlight enthusiasts like yourselves.
thanks!!!!1

------------------

franken

Brock

Flashaholic
Sounds like the Scepter. Does it look like this? http://www.glow-bug.com/products/fl_scepter.html
I have a white one and it is really bright for it's size. I still have to have a light with and on/off switch though. The light I have is using 4 LR44's so it is brighter than a Photon, but overdriving the LED like crazy, 70mA on a LED rated about 30mA. It would probably safer running on 3 LR44's

Brock - http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/led.htm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

very simlar but more of a matte grey finish independent of led color. similar switch placement and keyring. unable to post a pic. are you familiar with "clearline concepts"?
i enjoyed your led similarities page, if only the brinkmann were adjustable????
not a bad light for $12.
i,m waiting for mr. johnson's complete ratings and durability tests results. (been checking nightly craig)
smile.gif

thanks for the reply and look forward to reading about new led tech.

------------------

franken

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brock,
My Scepter from Glowbug came with 4 little dinky LR41 batts.-Maybe I got an earlier version
frown.gif

Also, I'm waiting for th Streamlght Baton to come out..Any news on THAT??

Mike

Newly Enlightened
I bought several of the Neoglow flashlights at Target about a year ago. The have 3 button cells in them. They were my introduction to LED flashlights. Green is the brightest. They don't put out as much light as the 2 battery photons. They also have a problem with the switch rotating inside the flashlight so you can't turn it on. Not bad for $5 though.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought four at Target for Christmas a year ago. At this years Christmas get-together with my family, I could not help but notice, not a single one was on their key chains were I had last seen them. I really don't know what happened to them. Gone...didn't think it was appropriate to inquire further. I dont believe they are durable. I would think twice before buying more than one (for fun and because we are flashaholics after all).

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by KenB on 01-16-2001 at 02:47 PM</font>

D

**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the info. i didn,t know they were around that long.
they were also missing from the shelves near the past christmas but reappeared a week later.
i see what you mean about the switch, i was able to make the switch lay sideways with a lot of sideways pressure with my nail but it was easy easy enough to straighten the same way.
i agree the green is the brightest. i recall a post or statement on brocks site saying that "perceived" brightness in led's was as follows blue, white green, red. i bought 2 green and 2 red, gave 1 green away and still think they are an adequate light for the $$$$$.
time will tell i suppose.
i believe eveready #357 are a substitute for lr44's
criag johnson feels $3 for ten batts is a good price.
i paid $11 for 3 at a ***elry store to replace in a cheap laser pointer, man did i get beat or what?
thanks again for the info

------------------

franken

D

**DONOTDELETE**

me again, sorry for the typos, said batts were purchased at a ***elry store. also, about those "missing" neoglos the following christmas i suspect the same problem that i had with a "lost" mag solitaire. one day i found nothing but the tailcap dangling from my keychain. seems if one doesn't keep track they have a way of unscrewing themselves and ending up who know's where. i found the rest of it on the floor of my car the next day!
i now carry an emmisive energy white model on my work keys and it does a fine job of guiding me down 2 flights of stairs and a couple short hallways in total darkness so that i can turn on the warehouse lights which is a part of my daily routine at work.
the neoglows also can do the job but i prefer white leds. the momentary switch on either light is really not a handicap for this use. anyone need a couple mag solitaires that are retired
smile.gif

------------------

franken

Brock

Flashaholic
Videocal, I think you are right about the LR41's Craig Johnson has my scepter right now so I can be sure. I saw the LR44's mentioned above and it stuck in my head, but Glowbug says they are LR41's. Once Craig posts it to his site we will all know for sure
smile.gif

I am still waiting on my Streamlight Baton, I heard for Botach it would be early Feb, but they said early Jan last month. I don't really believe anything Botach says anymore.

Brock - http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/led.htm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

holy cow--what's taking so long to fix this already? -- I won't be posting anymore until ***s are allowed...

Size15's

Flashaholic
most forums won't let you write dam as in the structure for holding back water

Things can't be damaged?

Duh!

Looks like CPF has one up on SureFire Forum where Dam is not allowed
Are we allowed to write *** yet?
Obviously not. What's going on?!!
confused.gif

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Size15s on 01-17-2001 at 04:44 PM</font>

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
My apologies. I copy and pasted a list which had '****ing Jew *******' in it. (Remember Hillary?) It was supposed to be as a phrase but the censor option here sees it as individual words. Problem fixed.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

D

**DONOTDELETE**

huh, and i thought it was a typo!now that thats done, while trying to find a way to keep the indiglo lit hands free and portable, i found that a wooden clothespin worked well!
when properly "seated" it reverses the function of the switch. this may come in handy sometimes or have i been toying with this thing too much
smile.gif

------------------

franken

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
There seems to be some error in our filter. David, maybe we should fix it, if possible, before we hurt peoples feelings, I know this forum doesn`t care who you are as long as you are interested in lights. The people whom suffered so much at the hands of the nazis are more than welcome here.

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by KenB on 01-17-2001 at 05:45 PM</font>

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
Videocal, I think you are right about the LR41's Craig Johnson has my scepter right now so I can be sure. I saw the LR44's mentioned above and it stuck in my head, but Glowbug says they are LR41's. Once Craig posts it to his site we will all know for sure
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just finished shooting off a whole bunch of pictures of lights compared against a C.C. Expedition, so while I still have the web publishing bug I'll write up some initial stuff on the Sceptre this evening.
I may have already even created the starter page (I frequently do right when I get a light) but I'll have to check to be certain.
(checking...) nope, and its photographs are still in my Photoshop folder... guess that answers that question.
smile.gif

However, here are some initial thoughts on the Sceptre for the more impatient among you.
wink.gif

1: The light has a distinct bluish violet tinge to it. More so than most other white LED flashlights.

2: The case, switch and circuit board appear identical to that used in a keychain laser pointer, but are smaller. The entire light FITS inside the barrel of a standard LR-44 size keychain laser pointer, once I dump the pointer's batteries out!

3: The tiny batteries are a B!^@CH to put back in correctly. Stacking them and lowering the bunghole-end of the light over the stack is about the easiest way to do this.

4: I know of nowhere to buy LR41's cheaply.

5: Runs cooler with 3 batteries, and looks just about as bright as with 4.

6: All-metal construction = very sturdy

7: Switch is very easy on the fingers.
smile.gif

8: LED is recessed in the head, and is therefore protected from the most common types of damage.

There you go.
Battery life isn't going to be very long, since the tiny, tiny batteries can't be much more than 25 to 35mAh in capacity.
This is one to reserve for emergencies, looking for doorknobs & keyholes, or looking for the wedding band that fell behind the toilet. It is also durable enough to leave hanging from your keys (be sure that tailcap is on good!).
I don't think it would be a good everyday (general purpose) flashlight, mainly because of the small, possibly hard to find, possibly expensive batteries.

$0.04 (inflation)

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

------------------

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
-telephony
B.G.Micro sells LR41 batts.on
a card of TEN for $1.99
(stock #BAT 1021), usually on pg. 9 of their little catalog

------------------

Doug