Help me think: 3rd world country lighting and charging solutions

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
Greetings!

Long-story short, I'm living in SE Asia and have the opportunity for someone to bring me some new gear. I'll be moving to a new location in the near future where power is much less reliable, and I'll be out "in the country" a lot more. So I'd like some help thinking through a few thing:Battery Choice, New FlashLight, and Remote/Backup Charging Options.

Battery
What's the best battery platform for me? I'm really leaning towards AA/AAA. I already have several lights that use these (headlamps, ThruNite Ti3, Sunwayman v11R, LED panels), and they are the easiest to find here. Though most places just have cheap cheap AA/AAA's, finding some duracells is going to be hit and miss for me. I do have a small stash of CR123A's for my v11R, but will fall back to the AA adapter when those run out. I know that battery choice will decide what lights I have to choose from. I'm thinking of picking up a big number of Eneloop AA's and AAA's. I'm open to the idea of bigger, better batteries, but would need some convincing. I've NEVER seen any battery here "better" than a CR123A, and they are about $10-15 each when I can find them. That's one reason why I'm a bit hesitant to move to something like 18650. I could buy a ton of rechargable ones, but that's more of an upfront investment than the eneloops, which I'd need to get anyways for my other lights.

New Brighter Flashlight

I want a brighter light that has a decent throw. Right now my v11R is my brightest light. It's perfectly adequate for EDC usage where I currently live, but when I end up in a much more remote area, I'd like to have a light that's up for the task. I don't want something that's pure spot, nor do I have an ideal distance in mind. Something of an all around light would be most practical for me.

I'm really liking the looks of the new NiteCore EA81. The turbo brightness is attractive, though I know I should think of it as a lower lumen light. It's brightness settings seem to be well balanced, and I really like the idea of it running off of just 4 AA's in a pinch (though probably would never use it). This isn't nearly as bright as the TM26 or similar lights, but seems to be the best multi-AA light out there right now.

Remote/Backup Charging
This goes a bit beyond flashlights, but wanted to post for some feedback on charging systems. (I've got 220v where I'm at) Most of the time I'll have access to adequate power, though loosing power for 8 hours at a time will be common, potentially up to a few days in daily life. But I'd like to be prepared for the worst case scenario.

Generator
We'll likely have a small generator at home for essentials, I doubt we'll be able to afford a proper solar setup. Vehicle DC and AC inverter
I'll usually have my truck with me, so I've got DC power and a 110v AC inverter.

Solar
I'm checking out a local solar company today in hopes of finding a simple, portable solution. But I'm a bit doubtful. I'm looking at ordering the folding Anker 14w or RAVpower 15w panel from Amazon to be brought over the with new light and batteries. So this means I'll need a USB AA/AAA charger. I've got a few power packs for charging our phones on the go, so I'll use on of these to store power gained from solar. I've searched around and seen that there are a few options, but none that seem to rise to the top as the best. I'm looking at the SunJack or the Goal Zero Guide 10. (I have full sun most of the day where I'm at year round)

"other"
I'm very interested in a car battery based power pack similar to the ArkPak or the Thunder Weekender (or Goal Zero Yeti 1250), but they are expensive, and would be hard for me to acquire. But would offer more flexibility than just charging batteries. When out traveling I'm based out of my truck, so having a dual battery system would be ideal, and one of these would be great. I've seen several DIY guides, which I might look into, I'd just have to order most of the parts and put it together myself.

SO.... sorry to be long winded. But wanted to be thorough to get the best feedback. THANKS. If I left something out, let me know.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Greetings!

Long-story short, I'm living in SE Asia and have the opportunity for someone to bring me some new gear. I'll be moving to a new location in the near future where power is much less reliable, and I'll be out "in the country" a lot more. So I'd like some help thinking through a few thing:Battery Choice, New FlashLight, and Remote/Backup Charging Options.

Battery
What's the best battery platform for me? I'm really leaning towards AA/AAA. I already have several lights that use these (headlamps, ThruNite Ti3, Sunwayman v11R, LED panels), and they are the easiest to find here. Though most places just have cheap cheap AA/AAA's, finding some duracells is going to be hit and miss for me. I do have a small stash of CR123A's for my v11R, but will fall back to the AA adapter when those run out. I know that battery choice will decide what lights I have to choose from. I'm thinking of picking up a big number of Eneloop AA's and AAA's. I'm open to the idea of bigger, better batteries, but would need some convincing. I've NEVER seen any battery here "better" than a CR123A, and they are about $10-15 each when I can find them. That's one reason why I'm a bit hesitant to move to something like 18650. I could buy a ton of rechargable ones, but that's more of an upfront investment than the eneloops, which I'd need to get anyways for my other lights.

New Brighter Flashlight

I want a brighter light that has a decent throw. Right now my v11R is my brightest light. It's perfectly adequate for EDC usage where I currently live, but when I end up in a much more remote area, I'd like to have a light that's up for the task. I don't want something that's pure spot, nor do I have an ideal distance in mind. Something of an all around light would be most practical for me.

I'm really liking the looks of the new NiteCore EA81. The turbo brightness is attractive, though I know I should think of it as a lower lumen light. It's brightness settings seem to be well balanced, and I really like the idea of it running off of just 4 AA's in a pinch (though probably would never use it). This isn't nearly as bright as the TM26 or similar lights, but seems to be the best multi-AA light out there right now.

Remote/Backup Charging
This goes a bit beyond flashlights, but wanted to post for some feedback on charging systems. (I've got 220v where I'm at) Most of the time I'll have access to adequate power, though loosing power for 8 hours at a time will be common, potentially up to a few days in daily life. But I'd like to be prepared for the worst case scenario.

Generator
We'll likely have a small generator at home for essentials, I doubt we'll be able to afford a proper solar setup. Vehicle DC and AC inverter
I'll usually have my truck with me, so I've got DC power and a 110v AC inverter.

Solar
I'm checking out a local solar company today in hopes of finding a simple, portable solution. But I'm a bit doubtful. I'm looking at ordering the folding Anker 14w or RAVpower 15w panel from Amazon to be brought over the with new light and batteries. So this means I'll need a USB AA/AAA charger. I've got a few power packs for charging our phones on the go, so I'll use on of these to store power gained from solar. I've searched around and seen that there are a few options, but none that seem to rise to the top as the best. I'm looking at the SunJack or the Goal Zero Guide 10. (I have full sun most of the day where I'm at year round)

"other"
I'm very interested in a car battery based power pack similar to the ArkPak or the Thunder Weekender (or Goal Zero Yeti 1250), but they are expensive, and would be hard for me to acquire. But would offer more flexibility than just charging batteries. When out traveling I'm based out of my truck, so having a dual battery system would be ideal, and one of these would be great. I've seen several DIY guides, which I might look into, I'd just have to order most of the parts and put it together myself.

SO.... sorry to be long winded. But wanted to be thorough to get the best feedback. THANKS. If I left something out, let me know.

For general purposes, check out the WakaWaka Power-- a solar powered light & charger in one-- you'll be impressed.

Check out the smaller lithium ion & LiFO4 batteries at aspectsolar.com & their portable solar panels of varying sizes.

Also check out suntactics.com for their products.

For the heck of it also check out the Luci Lantern.

Good luck to you!

- LetThereBeLight!

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
For general purposes, check out the WakaWaka Power-- a solar powered light & charger in one-- you'll be impressed.

Check out the smaller lithium ion & LiFO4 batteries at aspectsolar.com & their portable solar panels of varying sizes.

Also check out suntactics.com for their products.

For the heck of it also check out the Luci Lantern.

Good luck to you!

- LetThereBeLight!

Thanks for all those links! A local company has a similar product for around $15. But it's more of a night "dome light". I'm looking for a traditional flashlight that can offer more output than the solar lights. Perhaps as a final backup.

My main want is a powerful flashlight, but I'm trying to think through the practical ways I can charge in the field and in an emergency.

In terms of solar panels, the RAV 15w seems to get the best reviews and power output (wirecutter), and even if it was a bit subpar, the price is a great entry point for me as a backup option.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
maybe get a flashlight that can use both 2x cr123a and 1x 18650 / 16650.
I don't have much experience with this sort of stuff but I like the idea of the 18650 flashlights because I can have just two charged 18650's with me and have weeks of constant light on low / moonlight modes and while there is some self discharge it is not something to really worry about as long as the light is used enough to remember to recharge every month or so.
Also they tend to be able to put out 800+ lumens on high for over 2 hours with decent batteries. The icing on the cake is that they can take cr123 batteries if needed as an emergency power supply.
I am looking at a Thrunite Archer 2c v2 as it has all of the features that I want but the Nitecore P12 also looks like a contender.
I don't think that you are going to find the best flashlights using AA/ AAA batteries, just my opinion I don't like using the 3xAAA lights for the fact that they don't exactly have the most battery-volume ratio.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I have for bulk emergency battery at home is a vehicle battery with the "cigarette adapter" plug hooked to the battery terminals.

From there, I plug in a 12v car USB 2-port outlet. Now I can charge all my USB stuff.

I also have the 12v cig adapter for my hobby chargers so I can charge that stuff as well.

As you mentioned solar you could go from the panel to the solar controller, from there to the battery in addition of the other stuff I mentioned.

Turnkey solutions tend to be expensive. You can just piece it together with parts and probably save money.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Once I read that you'll have your truck with you most of the time, the decision of which battery platform to standardize on became a no-brainer for me. I would standardize on the 18650. Estimate how many I would need on a heavy use day, and how many days I will typically be away from an electrical source (including my truck), and how many days I might be away in an unusual circumstance. Then get enough 18650 to cover those bases, and if there is an extreme difference between typical, and unusual, then I'd get a solar set up for back-up power.

You mentioned an increased initial outlay to go 18650, that however is not all that true.
An 18650 is about $10 and has about 3 times the capacity of a 2500ma duraloop.
Duraloops can be had for about $10 for four. Therefore the 18650 is only slightly more expensive than the duraloops.

AA duraloops have about 3 times the capacity of AAA duraloops and the AAAs cost the same! Therefore.... they are out of the question (for me).

Rechargeables are undoubtedly the way to go, because, while they may be unobtainable, they won't need to be replaced for four years, or more.

I prefer to use single cell lights to multi cell lights. With multi cell lights you should use a digital voltmeter to match your batteries. OTOH a single cell light requires... put a battery in there and go!

Let's say a week long excursion with one battery change a day of 18650s, you would need 14 batteries.
42 AA's
128 AAAs

They are only some of the reasons why I would go with 18650s

FWIW I agree with the sentiments of more_vampires, and Tre_Asay.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Being in a "3rd world country" tells me the markup on items is tremendous at best. And the better the (as in the demand) the more the markup.

You say you can get plenty of eneloops. Nice.

How about fuel for that vehicle? As in charging stuff with an invertor will run down the battery, so you'll need to run the engine....

Now if I ever find myself in your situation I'd be looking for efficient output vs pure, battery sucking lumens.

A tail stander would be a must, and one that uses as few of my precious batteries as possible at one time.

My 123's would be stashed with my coins and other precious commodities.
I'd be looking at items that use easily found batteries. And if AA are easy to find yet do not cost a lot...single AA lights like the Klarus P1a that are bright enough to read by on low, yet gives you several dark nights on a single battery...

and the high/ low is mechanical in nature, the shell is military grade and waterproof...very reliable when it really matters. Plus Klarus is a kinda unknown name so mark up shouldn't be as bad as the more famous makers.

I like my Coast HP1 for it's battery sipping 220+/- lumens with a nice spot for a couple hundred feet, or a table lamp room lighter on tail stand mode.
Those mini-mag LED's are battery sippers as well.

And maybe have one night busting light for the times when only sunshine bright will do.
One that uses your (probably expensive) 18650 or 123's wisely.

But what brands you can get? Only you know that. But reliability should be your main concern.
I'd say Streamlight for it's durability at a much lower price than say...Sure Fire etc.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Greetings!

Long-story short, I'm living in SE Asia and have the opportunity for someone to bring me some new gear. I'll be moving to a new location in the near future where power is much less reliable, and I'll be out "in the country" a lot more. <SNIP>
I've NEVER seen any battery here "better" than a CR123A, and they are about $10-15 each when I can find them. That's one reason why I'm a bit hesitant to move to something like 18650. I could buy a ton of rechargable ones, but that's more of an upfront investment than the eneloops, which I'd need to get anyways for my other lights.
<SNIP>
bykfixer,
It seems that you missed the first sentence.

Someone can BRING him 18650s, or RCR123s, or AA eneloops, etc.

While the AA batteries there are obtainable, they are real crap. Not as good as a carbon zinc battery, at least that is what I have been told.

jmwking

Newly Enlightened
A question for solar - will you be somewhere with sunlight? I live where the sun don't shine, or at least doesn't hit the ground - too many mature trees. Solar stuff really doesn't work here.

-jk

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
A question for solar - will you be somewhere with sunlight? I live where the sun don't shine, or at least doesn't hit the ground - too many mature trees. Solar stuff really doesn't work here.

-jk

We have unending sun :). So I think solar is a decent option. But again, only as a backup to my backup. If I decided to go for something like the NiteCore EA81, which takes 8 AA's, I think relying on solar would be less than ideal. But in that situation, I think I'd be sticking with the lowest mode possible, unless I needed to throw some lumens. But, even an efficient 15W panel would get the job done. In my mind, if I would need to rely on the solar panel, I'd need to be mobile. So having something portable vs powerful would be best. If it's big and bulky I wouldn't have it with me.

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
Being in a "3rd world country" tells me the markup on items is tremendous at best. And the better the (as in the demand) the more the markup.

You say you can get plenty of eneloops. Nice.

How about fuel for that vehicle? As in charging stuff with an invertor will run down the battery, so you'll need to run the engine....

Now if I ever find myself in your situation I'd be looking for efficient output vs pure, battery sucking lumens.

A tail stander would be a must, and one that uses as few of my precious batteries as possible at one time.

My 123's would be stashed with my coins and other precious commodities.
I'd be looking at items that use easily found batteries. And if AA are easy to find yet do not cost a lot...single AA lights like the Klarus P1a that are bright enough to read by on low, yet gives you several dark nights on a single battery...

and the high/ low is mechanical in nature, the shell is military grade and waterproof...very reliable when it really matters. Plus Klarus is a kinda unknown name so mark up shouldn't be as bad as the more famous makers.

I like my Coast HP1 for it's battery sipping 220+/- lumens with a nice spot for a couple hundred feet, or a table lamp room lighter on tail stand mode.
Those mini-mag LED's are battery sippers as well.

And maybe have one night busting light for the times when only sunshine bright will do.
One that uses your (probably expensive) 18650 or 123's wisely.

But what brands you can get? Only you know that. But reliability should be your main concern.
I'd say Streamlight for it's durability at a much lower price than say...Sure Fire etc.

Thanks for thoroughly thinking this through! Great recommendations, I'm going to research them.

In terms of availability here, there's really nothing. Just super cheap Chinese knock offs, a lot of which use C or D's. But I am able to have things brought over occasionally. That's why I'm posting for help, as I have an opportunity in less than 2 weeks for a small delivery.

I feel pretty good about the lights I already have in terms of efficient single battery lights. But I don't have anything that would be useful for producing a large amount of light. I'd like to have something in the search/rescue/protection category for when things hit the fan. The roads here are terrible as well, so several times already I've been out in the country far later into the evening that I had planned because of difficult terrain. I found myself wanting a big torch when I needed to step away from the vehicle. I have some extra lighting on the vehicle itself too.

So, if I was to switch to 18650's, in looking at lights like the NiteCore TM16 or TM06s, etc... But, having to get 8 18650's seems expensive (I want a full backup set), since I'll be needed the Eneloops anyways for other lights.

I don't mind the investment, but in terms of my situation, I don't know if I'd need the power of something like the TM16 more than what the EA81 can provide.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
bykfixer,
It seems that you missed the first sentence.

Someone can BRING him 18650s, or RCR123s, or AA eneloops, etc.

While the AA batteries there are obtainable, they are real crap. Not as good as a carbon zinc battery, at least that is what I have been told.

Guess you missed the part about hesitant to go 18650

not trying to argue poppy...really but:
He's asking what lights to request as he seems to have decided what batteries are best for his situation...not yours n mine. Had he not said he was hesitant to go with those I'd handily agree...but either way.....

Yeah in a perfect world I'd say if there's about $200 to splurge a Malkoff Houndog Turnkey kit would be in order with a spare 18650.
Hi/Lo for battery sipping, big ole nice n energy packed battery inside a small light with a not so big, yet mega brite head when need be. And a great charger.

But in some 3rd world countries folks kill each other over toilet paper...so would it be wise to have
such a nice flashlight around....

My only question is:
"What's a 2nd world country?"
It seems there are 'developed' and '3rd world'...

Last edited:

SA Condor

Enlightened
South Carolina and Bolivia, South America
Hello!

I live in a third world country too. The rare occasion I can find a Cr123, they cost around the $15 like where you live. I can get Duracells, but only in the cities and man! They are stupid expensive too! What is widely available are junk junk junk AAs. And as far as lights are concerned, they are ridiculously expensive and JUNK too! So I feel for you!

Everything I have has been brought to me or mailed via 'care package'.

As far as Battery choice, I'd hold onto the small lights you have and go ahead and get the Eneloops. Keep those batteries and lights as backups and/or daily pocket carry. That being said, I would not be afraid to venture into the 18650 world. I 'risked' it, and I'll never turn back. Honestly, there's no need to buy a ton of them. Their capacity is awesome and if you use the light on a lower setting, you can get some crazy good runtimes!! I personally went with an Olight S30R II for my wife and I. You can use the light and slap it on its USB based charger base and it will keep the battery topped off. You can keep a spare (or a couple, IF you really feel the need) battery with it and your good to go for a long time. The really nice thing about USB charging is that it allows it to be charged via a wall socket, a computer, a solar panel (goal zero), your vehicle, and a battery backup generator (like goal zero yeti). So it's got super runtime, can be very bright if need be, and is versatile for charging. I risked it and am very happy with my choice.

I'm a fan of Goal Zero as that's the brand I went with. I've got a switch 10 kit, a yeti 400 kit (I really wanted the 1250 but it was too much$$), and a Lantern 250. As I mentioned before, I can charge the Olights via those. Our power is less then reliable too, so I understand!! Sometimes I charge in the vehicle, sometimes via wall socket, and many times via my Yeti 400.

Oh! I forgot to add that the Olight S30R II is a decent combo of throw and flood. Pretty balanced light.

Last edited:

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
May I ask peripatew,

Are you on a mission trip?

We are missionaries here yes. But are committed here as long as we are needed. Our organization works with victims of child sexual exploitation here, and our family specifically with prevention and reintegration programs.

peripatew

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

I live in a third world country too. The rare occasion I can find a Cr123, they cost around the $15 like where you live. I can get Duracells, but only in the cities and man! They are stupid expensive too! What is widely available are junk junk junk AAs. And as far as lights are concerned, they are ridiculously expensive and JUNK too! So I feel for you!

Everything I have has been brought to me or mailed via 'care package'.

As far as Battery choice, I'd hold onto the small lights you have and go ahead and get the Eneloops. Keep those batteries and lights as backups and/or daily pocket carry. That being said, I would not be afraid to venture into the 18650 world. I 'risked' it, and I'll never turn back. Honestly, there's no need to buy a ton of them. Their capacity is awesome and if you use the light on a lower setting, you can get some crazy good runtimes!! I personally went with an Olight S30R II for my wife and I. You can use the light and slap it on its USB based charger base and it will keep the battery topped off. You can keep a spare (or a couple, IF you really feel the need) battery with it and your good to go for a long time. The really nice thing about USB charging is that it allows it to be charged via a wall socket, a computer, a solar panel (goal zero), your vehicle, and a battery backup generator (like goal zero yeti). So it's got super runtime, can be very bright if need be, and is versatile for charging. I risked it and am very happy with my choice.

I'm a fan of Goal Zero as that's the brand I went with. I've got a switch 10 kit, a yeti 400 kit (I really wanted the 1250 but it was too much$$), and a Lantern 250. As I mentioned before, I can charge the Olights via those. Our power is less then reliable too, so I understand!! Sometimes I charge in the vehicle, sometimes via wall socket, and many times via my Yeti 400.

Oh! I forgot to add that the Olight S30R II is a decent combo of throw and flood. Pretty balanced light.

Thanks for the feedback! I LOVE goal zero stuff, but the price has been prohibitive for me. And I like piecing together my own kit. There are some DIY posts about building a Yeti 1250, so I'm considering that. But not sure I have the time/resources at the moment.

I'll have to research USB chargeable lights some more. There are lots of USB AA chargers which was one reason I was leaning that way, but hadn't thought of lights that have this integrated. Are there any 2x18650 that have this?

SA Condor

Enlightened
South Carolina and Bolivia, South America
Thanks for the feedback! I LOVE goal zero stuff, but the price has been prohibitive for me. And I like piecing together my own kit. There are some DIY posts about building a Yeti 1250, so I'm considering that. But not sure I have the time/resources at the moment.

I'll have to research USB chargeable lights some more. There are lots of USB AA chargers which was one reason I was leaning that way, but hadn't thought of lights that have this integrated. Are there any 2x18650 that have this?

Yeah, a supporting church got the Yeti for us, it was a huge blessing. I'd still love to get a 1250 someday, but I think realistically a 150 would be a great pairing to the 400. FYI, my daughters are NOT a fan of the Goal Zero . . . When the power goes out, school should stop . . . not anymore!! The Yeti keeps them going :)

As far as a 2x 18650 light, I'm not sure. We just each have the Olight. I'll be following along hear to see what anyone else might suggest. Your circumstances are very similar to my own!