Prometheus        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portable Powerbank

Default Portable Powerbank

Hi all! First posting in the new subforum. Let's see a bunch more!

Impulse buy at Lowes today. Everyone has a pile of electronics these days, carrying one of these just makes sense. This seems rugged, with a nice screw together rubberized case and nicely covered ports. The included light is quite floody, with high and a PWM controlled low level. Always comes on in High mode first. May come in handy if all else fails! Comes with short cable, a keyring, and a little carabiner, which I am a sucker for...

Imput 5v at 1 amp, output 5v at 2.1 amp, so it should charge your small electronics quickly. I'll be seeing if it will charge up from my foldable solar panel in a future post. Just wanted to get this up there!

Default Re: Portable Powerbank

Funny post. I too am a sucker for those. I built 2 of the power banks using the kits they sell. I have one that will put out 12 volts. But I have never been able to get it to work correctly. You can load them with laptop pulls. I just make sure the cells are balanced. Power banks are so neat.
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

Flashaholic*

Some of the new power banks that have outputs of 10,000mAh and more, but will not charge smaller products like Apple Ipods or Apple Ipod Classic. Most of these new power banks are designed for 1 to 2 amp output at 5 volts for tablets and power using smartphones.
    Last edited by sidecross; 11-02-2015 at 04:12 PM.

That's pretty neat, i like how the usb can be covered in case of water going in.

I got a 16000 mah bank for 30 bucks on amazon, so far it's running well.

Might get an Anker bank soon, keep one in the car.

I really want an empty powerbank that I can put my spare cells in. Seems like a case would be much cheaper and I already have lots of spare 18650's sitting around.

Anyone seen something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by ThirstyTurtle View Post
    I really want an empty powerbank that I can put my spare cells in. Seems like a case would be much cheaper and I already have lots of spare 18650's sitting around.

YES, that is exactly what I bought. I got a few of them from Bangood. Now I built 3. The one that has a 12 volt output didn't work properly. I was charging it from a solar panel. So maybe I had something wrong. I have yet to diagnose it and figure things out. I also used laptop pulls that I got free. I guess 2 out of 3 from Bangood is dang good. Lol

Will be following this thread.
    I've been interested in a portable power bank, but never picked one up, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8stroke View Post
    YES, that is exactly what I bought. I got a few of them from Bangood. Now I built 3. The one that has a 12 volt output didn't work properly. I was charging it from a solar panel. So maybe I had something wrong. I have yet to diagnose it and figure things out. I also used laptop pulls that I got free. I guess 2 out of 3 from Bangood is dang good. Lol
    Link?

Quote Originally Posted by sidecross View Post
    Some of the new power banks that have outputs of 10,000mAh and more, but will not charge smaller products like Apple Ipods or Apple Ipod Classic. Most of these new power banks are designed for 1 to 2 amp output at 5 volts for tablets and power using smartphones.
    If the bank puts out USB +5V DC power and the device accepts USB charging, then the amperage capacity of the ports doesn't matter - the device will take only as much current as it needs. Think of it like a regulated DC power supply - it has no capacity to "push" current beyond whatever it delivers at its static voltage into the load.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Oh, I just saw some kind of single cell portable charger/powerbank for this type of use. I'll have to poke around and see if I can find it again- I think I recall someone charging it from a solar panel as well...

Right now I have two power banks- both Anker brand. One is a pretty old (at least 5 years, I believe) 3200 mAh or so. Still holds a decent charge and has taken a beating (drops on concrete, thrown in bags and pockets, poor charging habits, etc.). I got a 13000 mAh 2nd gen E4 Astro for like $20 a year or so ago. It works pretty well. As far as Anker electronics go, I have many, and all have been impressive quality for the price (usually more expensive than knockoffs but less expensive than first party name brand stuff). I'm testing these banks with the 14W Anker solar panel now that I just got- I'll have to let yous know how it goes.

Now if only I could find a decent (and decently priced) compact power bank with a standard 3 prong outlet on it...

Unenlightened

I have a TOMO model power bank and use it with reclaimed 18650s. It holds up to 4 cells, easily slides open so serves as a 18650 battery charger as well. has two USB outputs and mini USB input. It's not super rugged, but has LED display for each battery to show power level. Can buy them on eBay and Amazon for $15-$18. If you have a need to take the cells out for use in other devices it's the best unit I've found (I use 18650s in flashlight and headlamp). Used in conjunction with a 14W 5V portable folding solar unit it makes a great portable power kit. I've also used some inexpensive power banks from China sold on eBay that hold 2 18650s can be bought for just a few dollars each.

We need pics! I charged two 18350 cells yesterday with my little powerbank in the OP, it shut off at the end of charging just like I had hoped. Today, it will go outside to recharge via solar panel. I'll keep you posted.

EDIT- Charging in the sun with my Sunlinq flexible panel. Small Solio was feeling neglected, I had not seen it in almost a year. Figured a day in the sun can't hurt, hope my neglect didn't ruin the cells...

Last edited by scout24; 11-04-2015 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Added info and photo.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    If the bank puts out USB +5V DC power and the device accepts USB charging, then the amperage capacity of the ports doesn't matter - the device will take only as much current as it needs. Think of it like a regulated DC power supply - it has no capacity to "push" current beyond whatever it delivers at its static voltage into the load.
    My new Anker power banks (10,000mAh) will not charge Apple Ipod Naono or Ipod Classic and after contacting Anker they confessed that they will not charge these devices even though they are 5 volt USB devices. The problem is, as I understand, the battery size of these devices is to small.

My new Anker power banks (10,000mAh) will not charge Apple Ipod Naono or Ipod Classic and after contacting Anker they confessed that they will not charge these devices even though they are 5 volt USB devices. The problem is, as I understand, the battery size of these devices is to small.
    OK. USB charging has gone through some changes over the years. Some devices weren't fully compliant and - like direct-drive LED flashlights that could only run on specific battery types (usually alkaline) - made assumptions that weren't always valid, especially as tech changed.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

+

Just ordered up a RAVPower 10400mah powerbank
    has 4 Panasonic 18650s' in it.

2A input charge, which is good

At 5V it should be around 7700mah, I think

________________________________________$19.99 shipped
    Last edited by orbital; 11-07-2015 at 08:42 PM. Reason: add pic

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

Just ordered up a RAVPower 10400mah powerbank
    has 4 Panasonic 18650s' in it.

2A input charge, which is good

At 5V it should be around 7700mah, I think

________________________________________$19.99 shipped
    Looks awesome!

Where did you order it? Me want!

^

here

I have wanted to get a power bank and solar panel but wasn't sure what brand of either to get. There doesn't seem to be a big brand name power bank that is the go to industry standard, mostly store brands. I would really like one of the small battery jump packs that doubles as a power bank. Solar panels I'm sure I can find if I do more research.
    Reliability, NW and moonlight mode, the most important factors in a light

I have 2 RavPower products. A power bank and wifi hot spot and I've been impressed with both. I'm getting their 15 watt portable solar panel for Christmas. IMHO they are well built and very cost effective.
    Using Tapatalk

Flashaholic*

Below is a link to Martin Lorton review of power banks. His Youtube site has a wealth of good information. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_E3F6IdcRc

I'm looking at the ravpower products and like the looks of them. If I get one of these big power banks I will have to get a nitecore mh12nw since it's the only nw usb rechargeable light that I know of
    Reliability, NW and moonlight mode, the most important factors in a light

Below is a link to Martin Lorton review of power banks. His Youtube site has a wealth of good information. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_E3F6IdcRc

Thanks for the link!
    Prince plays George Harrison's masterpiece While My Guitar Gently Weeps. R.I.P.
    Great vocals & guitar by LeAnn Rimes & Joss Stone as they cover Gershwin's Summertime.

This may be in a different class but I've been thinking of getting a WakaWaka. They seem to be made for reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwilly View Post
    I have 2 RavPower products. A power bank and wifi hot spot and I've been impressed with both. I'm getting their 15 watt portable solar panel for Christmas. IMHO they are well built and very cost effective.
    I could say the same about Anker.
    I have two power banks, a Bluetooth USB keyboard, and a new solar panel from them. All seem to be excellent, and my older power bank and the keyboard have been put through serious abuse (years of being pocketed, dropped, banged around, left in cars, etc.) and still work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadowGuy View Post
    I could say the same about Anker.
    I have two power banks, a Bluetooth USB keyboard, and a new solar panel from them. All seem to be excellent, and my older power bank and the keyboard have been put through serious abuse (years of being pocketed, dropped, banged around, left in cars, etc.) and still work just fine.
    I was planning to buy anker battery bank and solar panels when my ravpower ones died (being made in china), they're still holing up after 1 year of abuse.

I just purchased an Anker extended battery for my Note 3. It has very good Amazon rating. When I buy the Note 5 I will purchase an Anker power bank for extra charging capacity.

I asked AW to consider building one for his batteries but no reply.

@recDNA I have a Note 4. As much as I love it, I can't justify getting another Samsung series. Things like no removable battery, glass back, no microSD support, and the increasing availability of other quality phablets makes me want to switch to something like LG or Xiaomi. :c
    There are 18650 power banks out there (usually only 1 cell at a time, but meh) that you could use an AW cell in.
    @MrJino Oddly enough, Anker just released new portable solar panels. They seem wider though. If you do get a powerbank from them, I would bet they would go on sale later this month. I've seen the high cap ones (the 13000 mAh which I think got replaced by the 16000?) for something like $22 before. Newegg just had a white one on sale for $21 on flash deal.

fivebelow (ie five dollars and less) is like an upscale dollar store in the North east US.
    Last year, and then again this year during July and August, (back to school specials) they had 6600 mah power banks for $5. I bought a few of them, and my kids found then very functional and useful. My son especially because his smart phone wasn't holding a charge as well as it did when it was new.

I was happy that he took one with him when he went on 2-3 day hikes.

I took a few apart. They have 3 18650 unprotected cells in parallel. I used two packs to make a 7.4-8.4V 6600 mah power pack for my R/C boat. They aren't high drain batteries, and I have to let them rest some, here and there, but the kids have fun none-the-less, so I built two packs and swap them in and out.

That toy like all others, will get used a few times and then sit on the side. Eventually I'll pull the packs apart and have 12 x 2200mah 18650s for other uses.

Currently, we have 10 x 6600mah power banks, five fully charged, and five still NIB.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

I went to the five below site to link to the powerbanks I spoke of above, but they were not in stock or advertised at this time. However; they listed a 2600 mah "SLIM" power bank.

I wonder, what chemistry do they use in them? and what are your thoughts about them?
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast