ArmyTek        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portable Powerbank

Default Re: Portable Powerbank

FYI I found TONS of "empty" power banks designed to accept your own 18650 cells on the big Chinese websites; several for <$3. Everything from single cell up to 8 and 12 cell packs. Some of them are quite nice with a display that shows the voltage of individual cells. The bigger ones can also easily be used as an 18650 charger. Pretty cool stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    I went to the five below site to link to the powerbanks I spoke of above, but they were not in stock or advertised at this time. However; they listed a 2600 mah "SLIM" power bank.

I wonder, what chemistry do they use in them? and what are your thoughts about them?
    So I had to cruise by five below today and pick one of these up.

5V-800ma input(max)
    5V-1000mA (max) output
    2600 mAh Lithium polymer battery
    2.5" x 3 3/4" x 1/4" dimensions.
    Takes up to four hours to fully charge, do not allow to charge overnight.

-------------------------------
    Question... can't you fast charge LiPo batteries with twice the amperage of their rating? IE 3.7v x 2.6 Ah x2 = 19.24 watt-hours ...
    19.24 watt hours/5v = 3.84 amps charge at 5V.
    Last edited by Poppy; 02-06-2016 at 01:13 PM.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Just completed my seven hour power outage with the Kmashi 15,000 mAh power pack; quite a serious piece of equipment this is, and you know it from the weight, then the 12+ hours needed to charge it. It has the 2A limit, so only one tablet at a time, but it performed as advertised today, charged a pair of tablets roughly halfway each and the pack's indicator hasn't moved. Very pleased for $20.

+

The RAVPower I mentioned (post #16) w/ the 4 Panasonic cells is now $15.99 shipped

..not sure if you can even get 4 bare Panasonic cells to your mailbox for that price!!

btw; received mine & the build quality is good and solid
    comes charged up & two cables. Cool soft case too

Do you think it is safe to charge unattended?

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    Do you think it is safe to charge unattended?
    +

Personally,
    Never once have I been concerned about charging the multitude of Li-Po & Li-Ion batteries unattended I own, in all kinds of stuff.
    ..including tools/electronic stuff and the like.

Am I concerned about using a Powerbank,, not at all
    Last edited by orbital; 11-24-2015 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

Personally,
    Never once have I been concerned about charging the multitude of Li-Po & Li-Ion batteries unattended I own, in all kinds of stuff.
    ..including tools/electronic stuff and the like.

Am I concerned about using a Powerbank,, not at all
    It's funny I think nothing if leaving a cell phone or laptop unattended while charging but wouldn't do it with 18660. Not logical but just me.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    It's funny I think nothing if leaving a cell phone or laptop unattended while charging but wouldn't do it with 18660. Not logical but just me.

Most phones and laptop computer have low amp chargers for the general public. People who buy stand alone charger should have the knowledge to know what batteries should be charged at higher amperage.

My chargers operate at . 5amp, 1 amp, and 2 amp. I would not expect the general public to know which batteries could be charged at 2 amp and what others at .5 amp.

Beware for fake power banks some of you may have purchased only to find that it doesn't have that much capacity or would only recharge your device a couple of times before dying.

Well, if you crack it open, you might find its a cheap copy

http://goughlui.com/2014/10/22/review-teardown-fake-xiaomi-mi-ndy-02-ad-silver-10400mah-power-bank/
    Last edited by mdorian; 02-28-2016 at 01:14 PM.

Unenlightened

Default Portable Powerbank

I wonder if I might ask the advice of members about powerpacks?

I am looking to use one of these 58000mha car booster packs to run a small (max 42 amps per hour) electric outboard motor.

Being honest, I know very little about this subject so would like to ask if this is a good idea?

My rational behind this is that these units are cheap (<£40), light (500g), compact and will run for over an hour at peak drain.

Would this be a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by knock-on View Post
    I wonder if I might ask the advice of members about powerpacks?

I am looking to use one of these 58000mha car booster packs to run a small (max 42 amps per hour) electric outboard motor.

Being honest, I know very little about this subject so would like to ask if this is a good idea?

My rational behind this is that these units are cheap (<£40), light (500g), compact and will run for over an hour at peak drain.

Would this be a good idea?
    Doubtful. Li-Ion/Li-Poly/LiFePO4 Booster packs are designed to deliver a brief surge of current, as evidenced by the surprisingly small-gauge wires (12 ga seems to be typical) in the leads. They can get away with this for start attempts lasting a few seconds at a time since that's not long enough to heat up the wires. The pack itself might not be capable of sustained discharge either - the cells, internal bus wires, and the regulation circuitry might also fail under heavy sustained load - or simply cut out as a safety feature.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Upgrade: Got what is probably the most advanced and up-to-the-minute charger out there, the RAVPower 13000mAh; 2A in, 4.5A out total from the two outlets so you can plug two tablets into it simultaneously (or full-speed charge two iPhone 6s), auto-off when charging complete, built-in 5mm LED light (should be some impressive runtime..), 3"x5" 11 oz., $28.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Upgrade: Got what is probably the most advanced and up-to-the-minute charger out there, the RAVPower 13000mAh; 2A in, 4.5A out total from the two outlets so you can plug two tablets into it simultaneously (or full-speed charge two iPhone 6s), auto-off when charging complete, built-in 5mm LED light (should be some impressive runtime..), 3"x5" 11 oz., $28.
    Looks like the market is starting to create a middle tier where value meets price - as opposed to what seemed to exist previously where you bought sum-$10/$20 trash that might last a dozen cycles/might not catch fire or paid >$50 for stuff that was simply more likely to last more than a dozen cycles and/or spontaneously combust.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

That one looks pretty nice. Let us know your impressions. I always feel like I should have one of these around.

This should be mandatory equipment for power outage-prone ares as it can be charged itself while charging other devices; just plug it into the wall, plug in your devices, and everything charges at top speed simultaneously. Then if the power goes out sometime overnight, no worries - the charger carries on dutifully as if nothing happened, you wake in the morning with your devices 100% charged and the charger turned off automatically waiting for the next task.

I've been tinkering with cheap ebay power banks some. I don't have any smartphones or tablets to charge but I did buy a meter to check voltage and current outputs but only to around 1A. There are a lot of cheap power banks that do work that you can buy and put your batteries in but few allow you to easily swap batteries in/out most of them have covers that snap shut and you have to pry the plastic seams apart hopefully not breaking them. I have found the metal case (aluminum looking) ones are the best for my purposes. The single cell metal ones that are round the bottom cap screws off and you can drop everything out of the bottom to swap out the battery while the larger cell ones vary from a plastic snap in place bottom to I think a plastic tab that snaps into the metal case. I've got 1 and 4 cell versions the 4 cell ones are xiaomi clones in look with decent construction I have a 2 and 3 cell version on the way from china too. The metal ones don't have the high output that some do 1 to 1.5A is what they advertise I've gotten 1A out of them. The one thing to keep in mind is some power banks will not operate unless you press the ON button. These power banks may shut off if they have too low of a power load on them, while others won't. So far the metal ones operate at lower power levels but I have two I bought from walmart that are 2 cell ones that shut off.
    My favorite cheap power bank locally available is a pink single cell one for under $5..... 2000mah and has 1-4 red blinks for charge level and no power button.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

My favorite powerbanks are the LUXA2 Energy Slim 10 Amp powerbank (rated for over 2500 charges), 22.4 Amp Lifecharge Jumbo (one of the highest capacity ones I could find), and the 11 Amp Lenmar Undead Power power bank (has three outlets).

I have had the"Anker® Astro E5 15000mAh Portable Ultra-High Density High Capacity External Battery Backup Charger" since 2013 and have had no trouble with it.

It's been a dependable piece of kit on numerous plane and oceanliner trips & will be accompanying my wife & I to Ireland in the near future!

I'm enjoying this thread; seeing the new technology that's coming out nowadays is always a rush.

Still digging the Anker Astro though!

My Miller 102 bank/charger won't take protected cells without modifying it, and even at that it is a very tight fit.

As I mentioned earlier, that I pulled the cells from a few power banks to make battery packs for an R/C boat. That left me with a few of the 5V USB micro in/ boost to 5V USB out - electronics.

I soldered a pair of magnets to some wires, and the wires to the circuit board of one of the cannibalized power banks. This made a very minimalist charger/battery bank. I threw it into my little toiletries travel bag that I use when I travel. I also included a USB wall wart, a pair of USB/micro usb charging cables (one never knows when one of them will fail.) and a 24v/-12v car cigar lighter USB converter.

Last edited by Poppy; 08-16-2016 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Sentence order and structure to clarify

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    This should be mandatory equipment for power outage-prone ares as it can be charged itself while charging other devices; just plug it into the wall, plug in your devices, and everything charges at top speed simultaneously. Then if the power goes out sometime overnight, no worries - the charger carries on dutifully as if nothing happened, you wake in the morning with your devices 100% charged and the charger turned off automatically waiting for the next task.
    Not all power banks can be charged while at the same time providing current to another device.

Quote Originally Posted by sidecross View Post
    Not all power banks can be charged while at the same time providing current to another device.
    Correct, so make sure this isn't an investment you "save money" on; check for the features you would want to prepare for a power outage - simultaneous charging, enough capacity for your critical devices, 2+ amps for all outlets, etc. It wasn't long ago that the general consensus was to only use your cell for minimal emergency calling during an outage and leave it off otherwise, but with days of power in reserve you have another means at hand to receive news and information. A good charger can really be a game-changer..

As I mentioned earlier, that I pulled the cells from a few power banks to make battery packs for an R/C boat. That left me with a few of the 5V USB micro in/ boost to 5V USB out - electronics.

My Miller 102 bank/charger won't take protected cells without modifying it, and even at that it is a very tight fit.
    I soldered a pair of magnets to some wires, and the wires to the circuit board. This made a very minimalist charger/battery bank. I threw it into my little toiletries travel bag that I use when I travel. I also included a USB wall wart, a pair of USB/micro usb charging cables (one never knows when one of them will fail.) and a 24v/-12v car cigar lighter USB converter.

That's rad!
    I've got a couple of janky Miller clones I should do something similar with.
    Thanks for the inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by psychbeat View Post
    That's rad!
    I've got a couple of janky Miller clones I should do something similar with.
    Thanks for the inspiration
    I'm glad that you like it
    I edited my post above to clarify that I pulled that unit from a cheap powerbank.
    IIRC the Miller circuit boards are a lot longer, and (at least mine) uses a mini USB input port.
    I've seen mods for it for where to solder in a micro USB input port.

I soldered a pair of magnets to some wires, and the wires to the circuit board of one of the cannibalized power banks. This made a very minimalist charger/battery bank. I threw it into my little toiletries travel bag that I use when I travel. I also included a USB wall wart, a pair of USB/micro usb charging cables (one never knows when one of them will fail.) and a 24v/-12v car cigar lighter USB converter.

Great work here thanks for sharing your creation

Just bought an Anker 20100mAh portable powerbank. Lots of good reviews. ($45Cdn. Not bad at all.) Charging it up as we speak. With winter coming up I think this thing is going to get a workout. We have a couple of phones and tablets, and I don't like the idea of running the generator for two-hours just to charge them.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCo...rtable+charger

Might have to buy a USB rechargeable flashlight to feed off this thing.

I would never try to build my own. I'd end up creating a black hole that would swallow the continent.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeguy View Post

Might have to buy a USB rechargeable flashlight to feed off this thing.
    Or a USB battery charger to go with it.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    Or a USB battery charger to go with it.
    Does anyone make an AA USB charger?

Yes, and they make chargers for all types of cells that run off of USB. I have an Opus BT-C100 that has both a 5v input (2.1mm) and a micro USB input that charges nimh and lithium ion batteries from a AAA to an 26650. I have an old discontinued energizer USB charger that charges 2AA or AAAs but I think Sanyo makes a USB AA/AAA charger too.

I picked up a pair of the LiitoKala Lii-100 chargers NiMH or LiIon and well rated by HKJ, less than $5 each

Thanks, both of you. I Ike the idea of a small inexpensive AA charger that would run off my new power bank. Gotta keep the Eneloops happy.

Always good to see you Poppy. I've been doing my winter prepping and laying in some extra food just in case. Going to fill up the generator with fresh gas today and prepare for the snow we're supposed to get tomorrow. Hope you are well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast