New York Underground?

Tom Krein

Newly Enlightened
So the New York Custom Knife Show is coming up in the next few weeks. Does anyone know of any "underground" tours of New York? I've always been intrigued by the tunnels, etc....

Tom

scout24

Flashaholic
I have a friend who does a fair bit of work below ground in NYC, hoping to get a few pics from him this morning and asked if he knew about any formal tours. I'll keep you posted.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So the New York Custom Knife Show is coming up in the next few weeks. Does anyone know of any "underground" tours of New York? I've always been intrigued by the tunnels, etc....

Tom

Yes. But since it involves trespassing, won't go into details.

Just one of those things everyone knows about. No one talks about it though.

scout24

Flashaholic
Pics as promised. My friend came through... :thumbsup: Nothing spooky, they were doing new track work and making sure all the signal stuff worked. Went down around 42nd St, that's about 300 vertical feet of staircases down under street level to the tracks. WAY below ground. The "End of Line" stopper was around 24th St. Now imagine it with no electricity... :eek:

Looking DOWN 300' of stairs.
nels3.jpg

Looking back UP the same...
nels2.jpg

Stop here. Really... :)
Nels%201.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If this were the 1950s, I'd say your friend has access to one helluva bomb shelter. :thumbsup:

Borad

Enlightened
I wonder how many sweaty guys hands slipped before they wrapped the makeshift grips around the hand rail. And how far they fell.