HDS Systems        
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your Damascus, mokume gane, etc. lights!

Default Re: Post your Damascus, mokume gane, etc. lights!

Great build mcbrat!!

Honorary Aussie

Here's an updated photo showing new additions, including some non-flashlight pieces of mokume gane.

Oops, the Photobucket IMG links seem to be down. This should do for now:

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...szvl6zccb.jpeg

The main newbies are the two limited edition little Nucleus Timascus and mokume gane lights. Also shown are a couple of mokume pens, tops, and beads (the bead on the bottom came from George, who earlier posted his mokume light, with a much better photo; mine doesn't really do them justice). I also have two mokume belt clips that didn't make it into the picture, but they'll turn up eventually.

I'm expecting a couple of new mokume lights from Photon Fanatic, including a one of a kind custom so will update the photo when they arrive.
    Last edited by magellan; 03-25-2017 at 10:22 PM.
    It is better to buy a beautiful, expensive, custom flashlight than to curse the darkness.

Honorary Aussie

Wow, nice collections there guys. Truly stunning.
    It is better to buy a beautiful, expensive, custom flashlight than to curse the darkness.

Honorary Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by alterrain View Post
    Great build mcbrat!!
    Yes, awesome doesn't do justice to it.

magellan, how's the TNC Dragon holding up? How's the runtime?

Honorary Aussie

I just posted a comment on it on another thread. I'm going to copy and paste it here.

Honorary Aussie

Here's the exchange. It gives my impressions of the light.

Default Re: WTS: TNC Micro-Lux DragonQuote Originally Posted by djans1397 View Post

UGH! So tempting! I love my AAA's and this is def one of the more impressive ones I've seen. Is this a direct drive on turbo? With the wider head than body, how does it carry it pocket?

"It doesn't feel overly bulky in the pocket in my mokume version which is a bit heavier than the steel. The wider throw head doesn't feel too bulky either and the bigger reflector puts out a lot more light. I also believe the 1000 lumens setting is direct drive. I only run it for short periods on high, but it's amazing to see that in such a small light. I'd love a smooth, non-dragon body version too to show off the grain of the mokume better, but after querying TnC that isn't in the offing. The dragon body makes it a very tactile light, and often when I'm doing something mindless like watching TV, I find I take it out of my pocket just to fondle it. It might be my favorite AAA/10440 size light, and I have a lot of them (almost 70 at last count). It is definitely one of the most impressive AAA/10440 format lights out there. The only other AAA/10440 lights that I know of that are high end enough to compete with it are the MBI HF-R and Tain Ottavino (the AAA version, not the 10280), and the LiteFlux, but they're not nearly as bright."

As far as run times goes, I don't use it on high much and recharge the 10440 batteries often, so I've never run one down. But if you're going to use it on the higher settings I'd keep extra batteries with you as I doubt they would last long.
    Last edited by magellan; 03-28-2017 at 08:19 AM.

Oh that's great to hear, thanks Magellan! Your mokume collection is awesome!

One more thing, does it run on other types of AAA other than 10440 Li-ion?

WOW mag, amazing!

Amazing work mcbrat, real work of usable art

Flashaholic*

Beautiful, as always Magellan. I need to get one of Chris' MG Dragons soon

Honorary Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
    Oh that's great to hear, thanks Magellan! Your mokume collection is awesome!

One more thing, does it run on other types of AAA other than 10440 Li-ion?
    I don't think so, but I'll test it and get back to you.

Okay, I just tried both alkaline and NiMH batteries and neither worked. The alkaline at 1.4V didn't work, but then although 0.2V higher in voltage than NiMH the alkakines put out less current. But the NiMH battery (an Eneloop Pro XXX) at 1.2V but with better current capability didn't work either.

I'm still learning the electronics, so I don't know if the critical firing threshold in an LED emitter is more voltage or current related, or whether it relates more to total power, which would be voltage x current to get watts, but then maybe one of the EE guys here who know more than I will weigh in.
    Last edited by magellan; 03-26-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Honorary Aussie

Thanks for posting the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by ven View Post
    WOW mag, amazing!

Honorary Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by Father Azmodius View Post
    Beautiful, as always Magellan. I need to get one of Chris' MG Dragons soon
    Thanks. They also have two new CR123A lights out in mokume. Since you like TnC I think one of their mokume lights is a great addition for you. :-)

Flashaholic*

I think you mean CR2, unless I missed something. I just got a Damascus bead, so once I figure out what lanyard I want I'll post a new pic of my Damascus and oak 3p

Honorary Aussie

Yes, I think you're right. As you know I'm a big fan of CR2. I've got those on the radar and will be ordering both of them probably next month. When I get them I'll do another updated photo. And I'm expecting three lights from Fred Pilon, two Kuukuu's (one etched, one smooth) and a one of a kind CR123A light. So very soon I'm going to almost double the number of different MG lights that I have.

Then later in the year Fred is designing another one of a kind MG light that is similar to his Indian Princess.
    Last edited by magellan; 03-26-2017 at 08:16 PM.

Honorary Aussie

I think you mean CR2, unless I missed something. I just got a Damascus bead, so once I figure out what lanyard I want I'll post a new pic of my Damascus and oak 3p
    Cool. What light did it come from?

Enlightened
    Born L.A. - NYC 2nd home - Rustbelt home base

I've never seen such lights. What price range are these beauties in?

Default Post your Damascus, mokume gane, etc. lights!

You have an amazing collection Magellan, I hope to see all of it some day!:-) Here is a shot of nearly all versions of the Nucleus, even some of the prototypes or oddities that has never been offered for sale. The "Hydra" is a double-headed Nucleus, with Nichia 219b on one end and xp-g2 on the other. They turn on at the same time. The red one is a cree xp-e, and the blue one is a 219b

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1490635955.059778.jpg

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1490636106.526974.jpg

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1490636121.495880.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by George7806; 03-27-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Honorary Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
    I've never seen such lights. What price range are these beauties in?
    In the case of my lights, prices ranged from $600 for the etched mokume (second from the right) to $1400 for the Muyshondt Aeon Timascus (third from the right) but that's only because I got it used but in excellent condition. Brand new it was more although I don't recall the exact price, but it might have been around $1800. The larger CR123A light on the far left is a Sinner Opus which I got for $1300 but again that's because it was used (same seller as the Timascus Aeon) but in great condition, but it was somewhat cheaper than a new one.
    Last edited by magellan; 03-27-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Honorary Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by George7806 View Post
    You have an amazing collection Magellan, I hope to see all of it some day!:-) Here is a shot of nearly all versions of the Nucleus, even some of the prototypes or oddities that has never been offered for sale. The "Hydra" is a double-headed Nucleus, with Nichia 219b on one end and xp-g2 on the other. They turn on at the same time. The red one is a cree xp-e, and the blue one is a 219b

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1490635955.059778.jpg

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1490636106.526974.jpg

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1490636121.495880.jpg
    Very interesting, George. Thanks for showing those rare protos.

Honorary Aussie

An updated photo of my mokume and Timascus lights, showing some new mokume lights.

The new ones are all from Photon Fanatic:

1. In the middle, a one of a kind CR123A light (somewhat similar to the original "Blocky Boy")
    2. An etched Kuukuu AAA
    3. Polished and etched Kuukuu AAA

Last edited by magellan; 03-30-2017 at 02:33 PM.

That's a very special and beautiful collection, magellan. Its interesting to see how many different finishes your MG lights have.
    We are all flotsam and jetsam being carried by a relentless tide towards our ultimate fate!

Honorary Aussie

Thanks. And you're right, Fred gave some thought to the finish of the new lights, and ended up polishing the flat surfaces on two of the grooved lights, but etching the grooves, and completely etching the other one (one of the Kuukuu's), similar to the first MG light I got from him (which is the smooth one without the grooves).I just took another photo which I think turned out better, except that Photobucket seems to periodically do some sort of updating and the IMG links stop working. But here's the URL until I can post the photo.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q615/magellan500/IMG_5138_zpsol8jsaor.jpeg
    Last edited by magellan; 03-31-2017 at 12:31 AM.

Incredible, magellan. I love them all! Your centerpiece by Fred really stands out, and I've longed for an Opus-Timascus since I was a wee lad. Alas, I have settled for secondhand copper.

Honorary Aussie

Thanks, wimmer. Fred's lights are special for sure. There's one more of his that I covet, which is the Blue Boy and it's gorgeous (Egginator posted a photo of his in post #53). But at $1500 it's not cheap. These new ones also came with very fine, very deep threads. You have to be careful screwing the head back on, but it makes for an amazingly smooth action. I'll have to take a photo and post it.
    Last edited by magellan; 03-31-2017 at 12:47 AM.

Flashaholic*

Mokume is forever, food, and things like life insurance are temporary

Honorary Aussie

Mokume is forever, food, and things like life insurance are temporary
    LOL. I like the way you think. :-)

Flashaholic*

Too bad the Mrs. doesn't feel the same way. She did agree to this though.

Honorary Aussie

Nice!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast