Sky Lumen        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What pants do you prefer for adventuring, questing, or even edw?

Default What pants do you prefer for adventuring, questing, or even edw?

*I couldn't figure out if this went here or in the gear section. I feel like gear but wasn't sure which subsection. Mods feel free to move.*

Title pretty well states the topic of this. What brand, model, and if you don't mind, price?

I'm looking for some new pants for mainly edw (everyday wear) but also for outdoor wear when hiking, boating, etc. as I am tired of Wrangler Cowboy Cuts. I have a couple pair of LA Police Gear Operator Pants that I like rather well. I have had really good luck out of them, they are comfortable, and seem to be holding up welll. I will probably get a few more pair of them or the Urban Operator pants unless somebody can recommend cargo pants that are $25 or less, don't have the tactical look but have the features of them such as gusseted crouch and knees.
    Reliability, NW and moonlight mode, the most important factors in a light

Default Re: What pants do you prefer for adventuring, questing, or even edw?

Now I'm going to have to lookup the pants you mentioned. I love my 5.11 cargos, but they definitely have that "tactical" look. Blends in fine while hiking, but not so much downtown. Look at Duluth Trading Company if you like cargos, not sure about pricing but they have some tough workpants designed to be able to move in. I'll see about a "clothing and footwear" section in the gear area for threads like these.

+1 Duluth! Firehose cargos or 5-pocket for the win!

I wear cargo/combat type pants for edw as lots of pockets for gear and i cant stand tight pants Latest are lee cooper work cargo pants, cheap, wash/wear well unlike many pants that have cost 4x's as much!

Congrats scout&nbp

Filson oil finish single tin pants. Tough and water resistant.

I don't do anything extreme, but I like pockets and a pant with at least One secured by zipper or solid closure.
    I wear mostly Columbia pants cause I get them on sale at a local vendor. They have them half price out of season. I buy and store them for the following year. I don't like the heavy fabric or rip stop pants. Also convertible pants irratate me.

I have been looking at these
    http://www.columbia.com/mens-global-...or=250#start=9

Own the older version of these and freaking love them
    http://www.columbia.com/mens-royce-p...or=221#start=5

another decent pant worth mentioning is the Cintas cargo. It is super soft and has decent pockets and they are perfect for on town or at the movies. All my pants have to get wife's approval too. The Cintas barely pass. Lol

edit. I guess I should have included a link to my belt. I love this belt. It goes everywhere.
    col Littleton #5 Cinch Belt
    https://www.colonellittleton.com/sho...nche-belt-no5/
    Last edited by Str8stroke; 11-04-2015 at 11:42 AM.
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

Tad Gear makes great cargo shorts, I have like 6 pairs of them. Force 10's is what they are called.

I like Columbia hiking pants. They are extremely light, dry super-fast and have cargo pockets. Also unzip at the knee to make them into shorts to accommodate the changing weather when I'm out hiking. I don't wear them around town, though.

Flashaholic*

I wear Carhartt B01 Double Front Work Dungaree which are Union made in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
    Filson oil finish single tin pants. Tough and water resistant.
    More than half of the time I'm wearing Filson pants; I have one pair of the 'oil finish' ones for our wet Oregon winters, but do prefer the unoiled 'dry' tin pants for general wear.

Most certainly not cheap, but the country-of-manufacture has become increasingly-important to me.

Great timing!

I literally just got back from driving to Dicks Sporting Goods, then to Gander Mountain, then to ANOTHER Dicks Sporting Goods on the other side of town. Ugh! Why? Because I bought a pair of North Face Paramount II Convertible pants there 2 years ago and they are AWESOME! Unfortunately they messed with the sizing a bit and now Small is too tight in the waist; medium is WAY too loose. So I'm sort of screwed for getting a second pair.

$75 is steep, but they are perfect for backpacking. Fast drying, zip-off legs, lots of pockets, comfortable, nice tough material, and I love the gray color.

I just got another pair online, but the small is way tighter than the small I bought 2 years ago. So I ordered two more identical pairs on Zappos. Sounds insane, but they vary like crazy. Someone lost their measuring tape in the factory.

I have to add: these pants also have a long, narrow pocket on the left leg/hip which seems like it was made to hold my Bahco Laplander folding saw!
    Last edited by markr6; 11-04-2015 at 12:50 PM.
    GOOD TINT!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    More than half of the time I'm wearing Filson pants; I have one pair of the 'oil finish' ones for our wet Oregon winters, but do prefer the unoiled 'dry' tin pants for general wear.

Most certainly not cheap, but the country-of-manufacture has become increasingly-important to me.
    I had been wearing Filson both 'dry' and 'oil finish' Tint Pants until I recently retired and my income became only a modest Union pension. I have found the Carhartt B01 Double Front pant a good replacement to fit current income.
    Last edited by sidecross; 11-05-2015 at 12:27 PM.

I have a couple pairs of these Wrangler RIGGS pants for work. I abuse them pretty good and they seem to be holding up well. Not terribly expensive either.

http://m.wrangler.com/store/WRG_STOR...yle/3w060.html

For my recent backpacking trip I bought a pair of these convertibles from Cabelas. They worked great and I was very happy with them. Just don't let an ember fall on them...synthetic pants melt. Glad the little hole is just in the pocket.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabel...Page%3D18&No=0

Those Cabelas pants look pretty nice. Man, I hate having a 31" waist...I think it would be easier shopping for pants for a 3-legged unicorn.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Great timing!

I literally just got back from driving to Dicks Sporting Goods, then to Gander Mountain, then to ANOTHER Dicks Sporting Goods on the other side of town. Ugh! Why? Because I bought a pair of North Face Paramount II Convertible pants there 2 years ago and they are AWESOME! Unfortunately they messed with the sizing a bit and now Small is too tight in the waist; medium is WAY too loose. So I'm sort of screwed for getting a second pair.

$75 is steep, but they are perfect for backpacking. Fast drying, zip-off legs, lots of pockets, comfortable, nice tough material, and I love the gray color.

I just got another pair online, but the small is way tighter than the small I bought 2 years ago. So I ordered two more identical pairs on Zappos. Sounds insane, but they vary like crazy. Someone lost their measuring tape in the factory.

I have to add: these pants also have a long, narrow pocket on the left leg/hip which seems like it was made to hold my Bahco Laplander folding saw!
    Are you sure it's the pants that have changed size lol jk?

Anyways thanks for all the suggestions guys, never dreamed there would be this many responses this quick. Let's keep it going for others who might be shopping for some new pants.

Enlightened

I enjoy my Dickie's straight leg cargo pants.
    http://m.dickies.com/mens-clothing/m...Pant-WP592.jsp

Simple and relatively tough. Cost effective.

Loose fitting cotton in summer.
    Like Dockers or Farrah.

Winter calls for flannel lined pants. Gander Mountain or Cabellas jeans work well and hold up for years.

Those Diluth fire hose pants mentioned above are certainly good trousers. Any clothing made out of fire hose is monsterous durable.
    John 3:16

My firehose pants... no IDEA how old they are... 2005 maybe? 10 years, I guess? That's a wild guess.

Still holding up. Never would have believed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tac Gunner View Post
    Are you sure it's the pants that have changed size lol jk?
    Haha I did recently switch from 31" to 32" in dress pants after accumulating mass But I still have my small size TNF pants and they fit perfect; the new ones, too tight.
    GOOD TINT!

I really need to invest in a good pair of pants.
    At the moment, I wear cheap Wrangler cargoes (shorts or pants depending on the weather) pretty much all the time. They last well enough for me and are only about $20 when I buy them.
    I'll keep browsing this thread to see what other people use and hopefully I'll pick up something better at some point.

I wear a pair of fjallraven G-1000 trousers ( forget what type) generally for hill/mountain work and a pair of fjallraven Barents pro winter when the snow and ice arrives. Admittedly not the cheapest option ( I generally buy gear like this out of season or end of line to save a few bucks) but they've never let me down and despite both being over 4-5 years old, still look as near new as could be.

I think after researching and looking at what you all have suggested, I'm going to get a few more pair of LA Police Gear pants. It will probably be around black friday before I do but I think for me those are the best bet. I'd love some Duluths but just can swing 50-75 bucks per pair while in school.

I'm a go with a regular pair of Levis jeans, preferably an old pair.

I hit the clearance rack at Marshalls about once a year.

It's a crap shoot what you get.
    But my 'wardrobe' stays diverse. Right now I'm wearing tan Levis fire hose pants I got for like $12 a couple years ago.

Never see anything flannel lined though.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-18-2015 at 06:56 PM.

Couple of people now have mentioned Marshall's, are they like a clothing discount store?

Marshalls, Ross and Rugged Warehouse (maybe others) sell close out apparel and some household items like blankets, and kitchen utensils.

Last years fashions show up there.

I've found stuff like a ($250) Rainforest Barn jacket (with zip out down liner) for like $75 or a knee length solid wool (detachable) hooded ($350) London Fog over coat for like $99...and a lot of my favorite 'specialty' cooking items like high end pepper grinders, mega sharp pizza cutters etc you pay a ton for in those expensive stores can be had at ridiculously low prices.

Think high end Big Lots...ya never know what's there from month to month, but that's the charm imo.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 12-05-2015 at 01:35 PM.

My company uses the 5.11 taclight pants, they are light weight, easy to move around in and dry pretty fast. I have used them for a few years. However I don't trust them in really thick brush (I have used them for hikes) or heavy duty use like construction.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Marshalls, Ross and Rugged Warehouse (maybe others) sell close out apparel and some household items like blankets, and kitchen utensils.Last years fashions show up there. I've found stuff like a ($250) Rainforest Barn jacket (with zip out down liner) for like $75 or a knee length solid wool (detachable) hooded ($350) London Fog over coat for like $99...and a lot of my favorite 'specialty' cooking items like high end pepper grinders, mega sharp pizza cutters etc you pay a ton for in those expensive stores can be had at ridiculously low prices.Think high end Big Lots...ya never know what's there from month to month, but that's the charm imo.
    Have to check them out and see what I can find!

I just spent a few hours repairing my Tru-spec ripstop BDUs. It split at the crotch seam and had a couple of almost-holes about 3/4" away from the seam which I pulled into the seam. I think I'll try nylon pants when these are beyond repair. Anyone like any nylon cargo pants?

Propper Canvas Tactical/Cargo Pants... These thicker/heavier style Propper pants run about $40 and are more suited for fall/winter/early spring temperatures... I really like these pants, I'm glad I found them a few years ago... They are liquid/stain resistant and very durable... I love that there is an extra little magazine-type pocket on the left hand side of the pants as I am left-handed and that pocket is a perfect place for my pocket knives to go... I have about 4 pairs of the heavier Propper pants (black & navy colors) and 3 pairs of the lightweight style of the same pants (coyote tan and black colors)

I like to carry a good amount of things on my person when I'm out and about (wallet, keys, cell phone, pocket knife, flashlight, lighter)... Wearing jeans just doesn't cut it for me anymore... I don't trust keeping anything in the rear pockets (especially not my wallet), and the front pockets cannot accomodate all the items I wish to carry on me... So Propper/Cargo pants it is...

Last edited by wolfgaze; 01-03-2016 at 09:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast