Prometheus        
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789

Thread: {{ Stuff that just works }}

Default Re: {{ Stuff that just works }}

Stuff that just works...hot sauce. It makes everything taste better.

Old school mechanics know a bunch of tricks. In the days when motor oils gummed up engines they'd add a WD cap full of AT fluid in the carb or throttle body to clean the valve guides and other super small passages same as the modern day SeaFoam stuff.
    Smokes like crazy for a looooooong 20-30 minutes making you swear you blew up the engine, but did a great job at adding life back to your engine back then.

I had a 1980's mower that used oil. Bogged like crazy anytime thick grass was encountered. My wifes boy mistakenly added about 4oz of Ford ATF to the oil one day. He cut the grass and we thought the mower was dead after that. I dumped the oil, added fresh and the mower ran like new. That was in about '07. I donated it to a neighbor who used it until last summer when the self propel belt broke.

Speaking of SeaFoam, that is a great fuel stabilzer, engine cleaner and EGR system cleaner.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 10-02-2016 at 07:03 AM.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    I have a Toro lawn mower that I obtained in 2009 and shelved in 2014. Last week the grass had simply gotten too tall for the battery-electric mower I purchased in 2015 (aggravating the situation: its batteries hadn't been fully charged) so I pulled out the Toro, filled it up with some gas that likely dated to 2014, and the thing fired right up as if I had just used it the week before.
    In 1986 I bought a 15 year old Simplicity 7 horse power (briggs and stratton) snowblower. It was garaged and serviced every year until I got it. hehehe.
    I kept it outside in the back yard, partially covered with a piece of plywood for another 25 years, when I gave it away to a friend.
    In those 40 years, I had to replace the scraper bar, the side guides that it rides on (a couple of times), the gas tank that rusted out, and a bearing for the thrower impeller.

I never used stabil but I turned the fuel valve off, and ran the carb dry.

I'd service it every couple of years, which means that I oiled/greased all moving parts, and considered changing the oil.

I sometimes used ether/starting fluid to get it started the first use of the season, but once it was running, it usually started on the first or second pull.

It had two forward speeds, slow, and slower yet. But it was built like a tank, and would throw the snow 30-40 feet. The mechanism for rotating the shoot was flawless, and it had a spring latch system to engage/disengage one wheel, so that it would be easier to turn around with it.

So I don't know who to give the "IT just works" to
    Simplicity for a great snow machine
    Briggs and Stratton for a great 7HP engine with cast iron cylinder sleeves
    or starting fluid and carb cleaner, for cleaning the carb, and getting the engine started, year after year.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

+

Gotta say I'm most impressed with the Fenix HP12, been using mine for about a year now
    (I use it alot)

Super balanced with the 18650 in the back (protected cells have plenty o' room)
    Light clicks solidly in to angle desired
    Large On/Off mode button the can be used w/ gloves
    Step down so you know when to recharge

Just a super functional light
    If I were to design a headlamp, this would be it __ really~

hotlinked image removed

edit:: most importantly, I see no silly PWM in any mode
    Last edited by archimedes; 10-02-2017 at 05:58 PM. Reason: hotlinked image removed

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    1. Leatherman Sideclip. I NEED pocketclips, can't stand loose items in the bottom of my pockets, and can't really do belt sheaths day in day out. Probably my most used multitool. I had two, my son lost one, a member here found one for me in a hardware store in England and was kind enough to purchase and ship it to me. That is still new in box, while my original backup now gets used pretty hard.

2. 4WR Vise Grip pliers. Look just like regular, but 4" long. Tiny but incredibly useful. I had wanted a Leatherman Crunch (Theme here?) but they were pretty expensive for what they are in my opinion. These 4WR's are light, locking, fairly cheap, easy to pack, and make great pot handles when cooking. Also nice to have a second pair of pliers for gear repair , etc. in the woods. Makes a great bit holder for the Leatherman bits, or others for that matter. I've got four or five of these scattered in bags, cars, trucks, etc. Pics side by side forthcoming.
    EDIT- Pics.

3. Zebralight SC62w. Ordered one, used it for one night when it showed up, have a second put aside in case the first one goes bad. I like it that much.
    I agree totally about the little Visegrips ... I always have a pair in my little "boat bag" that gets tossed into my 14' Whitehall when ever I head out onto the water. And I ordered a second Petzl Tikka (the new 2017 model) two days after my first one arrived. I was that impressed. One of them will be in the boat bag as well! Along with a Princeton Tec floating strobe, and my venerable TK40.

+

One morning this Spring I went to grind my coffee beans like every other day,, but my grinder was shot.
    ..not a good start
    Thought, easy I'll just get one locally__ WRONG!! nothing but crappy ones in stock

To make a long story short, the Krups F203 is a winner, strong motor & grinds evenly.

Put it this way, I won't have another 'no coffee morning'*

hotlinked image removed

* have a backup
    Last edited by archimedes; 10-02-2017 at 05:57 PM. Reason: hotlinked image removed

Yes. Is it just me or does it seem that everything you can get locally is a crappy version of the good stuff nowadays? Until just very recently, I used to hunt through one store after another for simply one item. Usually not succeeding or not until I checked the very last place on my list. Then I finally realized Why?!

Now I just go online and get what I need without the headache, frustration, wasted time, and not finding what I truly wanted. And to not waste time online, I go to a trusted online shop that I've already dealt with. Or I just hit up Amazon.

Screw it! There's a stuff that just works.... Buying online from Amazon or a trusted online shop you've already ordered from. That definitely belongs on this list.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I got a blood stain in a white print shirt today, so I went to the grocery store looking at stain removers and found a product called Carbona Stain Devils. They have different ones for different types of stains, so I chose the yellow bottle labeled "#4, for blood, dairy and ice cream." I followed the instructions and the dried blood stain was completely gone in a few minutes, without any damage to the print pattern.
    Last edited by PhotonWrangler; 08-29-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    the Krups F203 is a winner, strong motor & grinds evenly.
    That's a blade grinder, those aren't made to grind evenly, though it's not a big deal if you're just using a store-shelf drip coffeemaker. The next best option is the burr grinder, and the top-shelf what-the-pros-use choice is the conical burr grinder. If you don't mind providing the power with your hands, you can get a top-rated conical burr grinder for sixteen bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Now I just go online and get what I need without the headache, frustration, wasted time, and not finding what I truly wanted. And to not waste time online, I go to a trusted online shop that I've already dealt with. Or I just hit up Amazon.

Screw it! There's a stuff that just works.... Buying online from Amazon or a trusted online shop you've already ordered from. That definitely belongs on this list.

50% of American households are Amazon Prime members, welcome to the party

Last edited by StarHalo; 08-29-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Two things that work well for me whilst traveling, which I do quite a bit. The first is a Spekman Shower Head. These are wonderful, amazing shower heads, and not a new design, the have been around since the 1920's, coming up on a century I have these in every bathroom shower we have in all our locations.

Now, the other thing that is a wonderful piece of hardware is Knipex pliers when I travel, and I have been doing this since the, well several decades easily, is at every hotel I stay in even if it is an overnight stop, I in stall a speakman shower head in the bathroom, and carry the Knipex pliers. Why knipex? in case I have to wrench the stem/pipe out the Knipex will never let you down. Ever.

So, these are two things I think are the best, and as the title states: Stuff That Never Lets You Down! Now, I realize it may sound crazy to change the shower head out but the Speakman makes such a huge difference compared to the awful hotel shower heads, it is nice to have a comfort from home.

So so to review Speakman Shower Heads, they have little jets the water comes out of, and they have 4, 6, and 8 jet models. For travel the 4 jet is perfect. For home, I use the 6 mostly, but have some 8 jets running, as well. I highly recommend the Speakman line of Shower heads, the metal ones. They do have a plastic 5 jet and it is nice, but go with the metal, and on all of them don't forget to pop out the water restriction thing, it just pulls out with some needle nose pliers.

I carry the small Knipex pliers made for pipes or round things. Now these are also a real necessity to any quality tool set, and while are expensive, are worth every penny.

If I am doing a carry on I take the 4 jet, as always, however, you can't carry on pliers, unless that has changed, so if you hear of anything, please let me know. Otherwise I can go to the front desk, and borrow a pair from the hotel, never a problem. The other thing I have done is look for a dollar store, drug store, a Wal Mart or even a grocery store, and buy a cheap pair to get the job done, and just give the pliers to someone at the hotel upon checkout.

Sometimes, if you are at a four of five star hotel, they will have the 6 jet Speakman waiting for you.
    Last edited by RedLED; 09-05-2017 at 02:54 PM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Morning oatmeal

You add the shower head I was talking about from one of your bins at work, and you will have a better morning! Along with your other things above.

Only get the 4, 6, or 8 jet models. The 5 jets are marginal and all plastic. The 6 and 8 are solid brass I have them in every bathroom in every house. Now the 4 jet is plastic, but that is fine as is works on the old technology of the original 6 and 8 models and has the same jets. This is what I have traveled with for several decades.

The new plastic models are 5 jets, and don't work as good as the old, small black jets. And, if you buy one of the ones I recommend, and don't like it I'll buy it off you at retail price within a month.

The 4 jet is a good place to start, but pull out the restriction thing.

When I put that 8 jet in my daughter would take an hour long super-shower, and then thought she was under a waterfall, like the one she likes in Hawaii.
    Last edited by RedLED; 09-17-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Alge and black stains on your house our around the house/roof?? A few months back someone turned me on to Wet & Forget. It take some time to work, But So far, impressive stuff. Easier than pressure washing & no stink like bleach. So try you some if you have the need. I will also keep the kids play set looking new! Search it and see if it works for you. Wet & Forget
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

You mean it kills black mold?

Freaking paper napkins man.

Whoever thought of those should go down as a great inventor. Unfold it and it makes a little sack to carry a couple of handfulls of Cheetos, and when you're done it gets the Cheeto goo off your fingers.
    Wipes the Cheeto goo off the corners of your mouth too. Moisten it slightly for a towelette.... speaking of that, they make a great moisture holding coaster for when your glass of ice tea sweats. Spilled ice tea? No problem; grab a stack of napkins and do the Bounty quicker picker upper thing... wipe your kids runny nose, use a chunk as ear plugs at the race track, makes great kindling, stick one over your McFries container to hold in heat and soak up condensation while you drive home with McDinner, use 'em to wipe various dip sticks in your automobile and stuff it into a crevice when done. Makes a great place to jot down ideas or broker deals in writing... I could go on but suffice to say, the paper napkin is something that just works.

Expanding on the napkin thing...paper towels! But they HAVE to be the select-a-size. Best damn idea. That half-sheet is enough 9/10 times.
    GOOD TINT!

^^ Yup. Select-a-size ROOLZ

Great thread here !

Realize I've mentioned this already,
    but Sanyo/Panasonic Eneloop LSD rechargeable batteries
    are almost Too Good to be True !

Daily, I use my AA cells, which were mfg. August 2006,
    for hours of use in my 47's Quark 2xAA, on Medium or Low.

Yesterday, I decided to run a "Refresh & Analyze" sequence
    (with my MH-C9000 charger, at 500mA discharge rate)
    just to see how the cells are holding up.

Result --
    Both cells reported more than 1900mAH capacity ! ! !

And I've been using them
    for more than a Decade now !

Quite impressive, indeed.

Yes, folks --
    I certainly have NEWER cells, also.
    < wink >

Even some Panasonics in lovely Colors !

So your Sanyos are still keeping a charge?
    Right on!!

I think it was last year, but anyway I opened a 4 pack of Sanyos from 07 and to my surprise they were still 75% charged. I rotate them in a Mag ML25 but figured they'd still recharge well since there were no cycles on them yet.

Yeah, enelpoops were a great invention. 10 years ago all the buzz about eneloops (at least in the photography world) was about them being disposable. One day folks figured out "holy crap they last a long time and hold a charge too".
    Glad to see Panasonic kept them going.

Great to hear that my old eneloops should still be going fine! I haven't used them much in a few years since I got into 18650-based lights but I am really glad they should still be going strong.

+

Flexible Band-Aid

Hotlinked image removed

,,nearly a stitches situation today & Steri Strips just wouldn't have worked
    Last edited by archimedes; 09-30-2017 at 04:26 PM. Reason: do NOT replace hotlinked image please

No more hotlinked images in this thread please
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

Flexible Band-Aid

,,nearly a stitches situation today & Steri Strips just wouldn't have worked
    One time my wifes youngest busted his chin on a water slide. Stitches woulda been the solution to most.
    We left the water park, went by WalMart and scored some flexible butterfly band aids and some antiseptic cream.

Max grip'd and tough, in a few minutes the wound was closed and protected.
    We went out to dinner instead of spending the evening in an ER.

I think the lowley little "flashdrive" is an amazing invention. In the 10 years +/- I've been using them I've only had 1 to fail. Most times it's been the port that was the issue but I had 1 that would not connect to several ports on several computers... but those little devices are simple to use, very portable and come in all kinds of shapes n sizes. Nowadays they mimic some SSD setups in capacity, yet slips into your pocket for the ultimate in portability.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 09-30-2017 at 07:18 PM.

I Have and love the white Eneloops, however, what are the red and the orange ones I now see?
    Last edited by RedLED; 10-30-2017 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLED View Post
    I Have and love the white Eneloops, however, what are the red and the oreand ones I now see?
    Hi Red, I found this review of the red and Oreo Pro Eneloops on Amazon -

- The rated capacity of eneloop Pro AA cell is 2550mAh, or 27.5% higher than that of regular eneloop cell (2000mAh). My measured average capacities using the La Crosse BC1000 Battery Charger are around 2560mAh and 2080mAh, respectively.

- The cycle life rating of Pro is only 500 cycles, verses 2100 cycles for regular eneloop. More about this later.

- The advertised charge-retention rate of Pro cell ("85% after 1 year") is not as good as that of regular eneloop cell ("90% after 1 year, 70% after 10 years"). Those rating are consistent with my own long-term test results. Of course in real life this hardly matters.

- The Pro AA cell is slightly thicker than regular eneloop cell, so it might not fit in appliances with extremely tight battery compartments.
    - NLee the Engineer
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHKSL1O...-review-header

~ CG
    Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 10-19-2017 at 10:04 AM.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Dust masks with a one way valve. These are a little pricy, but more affordable when purchased in a 20 pack. I use one when mowing during the driest days of summer n fall. Better to spend a few dollars than use the only lungs I'll ever have for filters.

Our son used one September 5th, while rock climbing at a local park. That's when we were experiencing all the forrest fire ash blowing in from Eastern Washington. That stuff was everywhere.

~ Cg
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

We use the same masks! The exhalation valve works well.

Default Stuff that just works

I got some Carbo Mask face paint last year and really like it. Dries easily, does not smear and comes off very easily with just water and minimal effort. I used to have to spray my face at a car wash to get the stuff off that comes in the little green plastic tub with the mirror on it.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    Great thread here !

Realize I've mentioned this already,
    but Sanyo/Panasonic Eneloop LSD rechargeable batteries
    are almost Too Good to be True !

Daily, I use my AA cells, which were mfg. August 2006,
    for hours of use in my 47's Quark 2xAA, on Medium or Low.

Yesterday, I decided to run a "Refresh & Analyze" sequence
    (with my MH-C9000 charger, at 500mA discharge rate)
    just to see how the cells are holding up.

Result --
    Both cells reported more than 1900mAH capacity ! ! !

And I've been using them
    for more than a Decade now !

Quite impressive, indeed.

Yes, folks --
    I certainly have NEWER cells, also.
    < wink >

Even some Panasonics in lovely Colors !

Totally agree! I know many love li-ions for the power potential but eneloops are the bomb! I am not big user of rechargeables but when I do it is usually AA eneloops.

They work nicely in my 2C Maglite ML25 with it's shorter regulated run time without having to burn through regular batteries. I also use them with my Zebralight SC5 that can push out close to 500 lumen bursts. It is too bad that there are not more lights purpose designed to go with NiMH AA like the SC5 as it still gives some punch without having to use li-ions or CR123 primaries.
    I respectfully reserve the right to purchase yet another light......

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789