Acebeam        
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: {{ Stuff that just works }}

Default Re: ~Re: {{ Stuff that just works }}

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    To be fair a lot of IoT could be run locally, but then how would it be monetized and/or run as a subscription service?

Correct on both counts.

+

Neoprene socks (ones well over ankle)
    The single best investment if you live in a colder winter climate; the benefits strongly outweigh breathability concerns.. trust me.

..put on 'over' your poly/wool blend socks, warmth is kept in & cold is not conducted

I use Neosock by Seirus

That may just be the tip of the year.
    Thank you, I'll see if I can find some over here.
    P
    "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.

Part of my car prep is to keep extra socks, and thin plastic bags in the trunk, that can be put inside of wet sneakers or shoes in one of those "Oh $hit" situations. I've considered putting insulated boots in the trunk, but in fifty years of driving, I never needed them if I wasn't already wearing them.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Recycling in California. Two Subaru Foresters worth of plastic/cans/glass = $70

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Recycling in California. Two Subaru Foresters worth of plastic/cans/glass = $70
    $70 - How so?
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    $70 - How so?
    California Redemption Value, containers are 5-10 cents each.

It's considered fraud to bring in containers from out of state to recycle, they already thought of that..

+

Yes Recycling works.

I'v religiously recycled since the early 90s', everything you could imagine* yes it takes time.
    Portland had somewhat strict laws & it became more than just habit.
    If someone needs explanation on resources & energy saved, well, I'll refrain here..

Now I'm at an age in which if someone doesn't recycle in an area that has it, I don't need to know another thing about them.

*I also compost effectively everything in my yard & I have many trees & natural areas ect..

Cool Re: {{ Stuff that just works }}

Well, you did say any product, right?! I am a parent and recently bought my daughter a "bean bag" chair on Amazon to fill with stuffed animals. Two birds, one stone. We can hide 30ish stuffies AND she gets a fancy new chair. It worked so well, and she had so many stuffies, that I ordered another right away. $20 on Amazon and such a win!

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    Now I'm at an age in which if someone doesn't recycle in an area that has it, I don't need to know another thing about them.
    Lots of handymen and tinkerers at the serious recycle place [copper vs "shiny copper" prices posted, lead acid batteries, etc,] we're a bit out of place without a truck hauling a trailer full of refrigerators and HVAC scrap; the guys who know know..

Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Gaffer's tape. It's similar to duct tape but without the sticky residue that duct tape leaves behind when removed. It's also much easier to tear off and you can write on it. It's like duct tape's classier cousin. Much pricier but for certain uses it's worth it.

+

Brita water filters & pitcher.

1. drinking more water
    2. drinking less sugary or high fructose drinks
    3. vastly less plastics produced
    4. overall a huge money savings

I'v refilled mine easily twice a day for the last 15 years or so. One for coffee & one for everything else
    I take my filters way longer than any suggestion,, like 150 refills.

The amount of dissolved solids filtered depends on area, but it sure can't hurt.

+

1. drinking more water

I'v refilled mine easily twice a day for the last 15 years or so. One for coffee & one for everything else

The amount of dissolved solids filtered depends on area, but it sure can't hurt.
    I've been using a Brita filter pitcher for 20 years now and if your tap water is good you can use them for a lot more than 100 refills. I've drank bottled water and brita filterers water and the difference is a lot of money saved less than a nickle per pitcher or less than a penny for the water in bottle water. In the summer I take some 16.9oz plastic soda bottles and use it for bottled brita water and free them and drink them instead of water on the job site that often is not cold or just refrigerated and gets warm in 20 minutes.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Buttrock Re: {{ Stuff that just works }}

I am bookmarking this thread right now. SO MANY amazing tips and products to try. Thank you all and keep it coming!

I am fortunate to live where I do not need a water filter.
    I learned as a kid, if your outside and thirsty, the garden hose works.
    I choose to carry a flashlight because I am often kept in the dark.

+

1. drinking more water

The only time of year I find myself really wanting a water filter are a month or two in the summer when the water company is cycling their purification chemicals and the reservoirs are at peak algal bloom. Otherwise the water in my berg is reasonably acceptable and bottled water is orders of magnitude more expensive.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Someone mentioned a garden hose. Another great invention that just works.
    Of course some are better than others but it can make water run uphill and be placed where ever you want said water (or other Fluids).
    John 3:16

Eye glasses. Quickly approaching 63 and I'd be lost without em.🤓 I had my eyes tested and fortunately both eyes need the same amount of magnification. Semi-cheap readers work fine.

Default Re: {{ Stuff that just works }}

Knipex Parallel jaw pliers

I bought the medium size and Home depot becuase it looked like it would work well for getting a stubborn bolt out when i couldn't get a socket on it.

saved my knuckles and the bolt

i bought the 3 pack of small, med and large and gave the Med to my father in law, now he has a small collection starting too.

sometimes the Germans do get it right

Default Re: {{ Stuff that just works }}

Quote Originally Posted by H4ppyB34r View Post
    Knipex Parallel jaw pliers

I bought the medium size and Home depot becuase it looked like it would work well for getting a stubborn bolt out when i couldn't get a socket on it.

saved my knuckles and the bolt

i bought the 3 pack of small, med and large and gave the Med to my father in law, now he has a small collection starting too.

sometimes the Germans do get it right
    +

Somewhere in this thread I mentioned Craftsman RoboGrip pliers,
    they do the same thing by keeping the jaws parallel & they auto-size, so it saves one step.

there are times which parallel pliers are really the best tool & super convenient,
    ..just a no-brainer when you need a 'hold'

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    Gaffer's tape. It's similar to duct tape but without the sticky residue that duct tape leaves behind when removed. It's also much easier to tear off and you can write on it. It's like duct tape's classier cousin. Much pricier but for certain uses it's worth it.
    We use roll after roll of Gaffer's tape in the photo business, however, Gaffer's tape is only temporary, if left on something a while the glue dries up and hardens, and the cloth falls off. It can be a hassle to remove it this happens!

Otherwise, it is wonderful!
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by RedLED View Post
    We use roll after roll of Gaffer's tape in the photo business, however, Gaffer's tape is only temporary, if left on something a while the glue dries up and hardens, and the cloth falls off. It can be a hassle to remove it this happens!

Otherwise, it is wonderful!
    Ahh yes, I should have clarified that it's for temporary installations where you need to be able to remove it cleanly afterwards. I've used a lot of it to tape cables down on fancy carpeting without damaging it when I pull it back up afterwards. I've never left it on for a long time; I will certainly heed your warning.

Blue masking tape is a good thing as it can be removed a lot easier than regular masking tape and doesn't leave residue.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Zip Ties.

Drops mic and walks off without another word needed.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Ahh yes, I should have clarified that it's for temporary installations where you need to be able to remove it cleanly afterwards. I've used a lot of it to tape cables down on fancy carpeting without damaging it when I pull it back up afterwards. I've never left it on for a long time; I will certainly heed your warning.
    After using it on fancy carpeting, after peeling it off, I make a big ball of it and toss it at the ceiling and try to get it to stick. Sorry, sometimes photography can be boring! Just a little Photo humor.

ADD: While on the subject of Gaffer tape, and things that Just work, gadget maker, Peter Atwood, made some small spools that you could wind a few feet by one inch wide tape of any kind on it but it was made for gaffers tape in mind. You wound your tape on to it, and you wear it around your neck on a lanyard by itself or added with your credentials. Wonderful little thing, They are called the Atwood Roll Bars, I was able to get three. You can also roll some para cord on them as well, and I think we all like para cord around here.

Before this little spool, I like others photographers, would wind a few feet of gaffers tape on a sharpie for when you need a tape, and don't want to carry the entire roll. Really you can find many things to wind some tape on for carrying it with you. The spools from 120/220 film used to be good, and you could get some at a professional lab.

Also, I get my tape at Mole's in LA, and they have the small rolls of tape to keep on you or in your bag. I recommend the small roll, and if you use black tape, use a silver sharpie for writing on it.
    Last edited by RedLED; 02-23-2020 at 10:37 AM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Silver sharpie:
    Another thing that "just works".
    John 3:16

Rare earth magnets:
    Strong enough to be useful these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    Rare earth magnets:
    Strong enough to be useful these days.
    I second that. Neodymium magnets are useful in sometimes unexpected ways, especially for mounting metal things to other metal things in a semi-permanent way.

I second that. Neodymium magnets are useful in sometimes unexpected ways, especially for mounting metal things to other metal things in a semi-permanent way.
    I use them in a level at work and in flashlights.
    Also velcro, which can be used to tie up cords.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast