Acebeam        
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 367891011121314 LastLast

Thread: {{ Stuff that just works }}

Default Re: {{ Stuff that just works }}

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    If I were to have to cut sheetrock like that I would try a circular saw and set the dept just right perhaps nailing a board on the walls as a guide to cut straighter.
    only issue is circular saws kick up a big cloud of dust when used on drywall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jrgold View Post
    only issue is circular saws kick up a big cloud of dust when used on drywall

Yup would make a lot of dust for sure but would be very fast. I've seen a hook like blade for oscillating saw for cutting the rock. I've also seen a sheetrock blade for sawzall too made by Milwaukee.
    Last edited by Lynx_Arc; 06-02-2020 at 02:06 PM.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

That pruning blade for the sawzall, worked really well. I had considered a circular saw, but figured that it would throw so much chalk dust into the air, everyone would have to wear dust masks.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Razor blade on an old-fashioned utility knife. How come it seems to take forever for one of those to get dull?
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Razor blade on an old-fashioned utility knife. How come it seems to take forever for one of those to get dull?
    I agree, they really are a great tool. And when one edge gets dull, just flip it over and use the other.

I carry one in a gerber as a money clip.

+

https://survivalistprepper.net/98-uses-for-a-bandana/

98 is just the tip of the iceberg

I have the same gerber model & use a dime as a screwdriver to change the blade. Only thing is, i'd like to carry extra blades but can't find a holder for them.

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

https://survivalistprepper.net/98-uses-for-a-bandana/

98 is just the tip of the iceberg
    agreed, or to take it to the next level a shemagh. I always have one in my pack when hiking

Nothing wrong with having both. Shemagh around the neck. Bandana in a pocket.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin View Post
    I have the same gerber model & use a dime as a screwdriver to change the blade. Only thing is, i'd like to carry extra blades but can't find a holder for them.
    I think I have a 5 blade holder in my tool box.
    Searching for it, here is a ten blade holder, that might work for you.

https://www.amazon.com/BIBURY-Utilit.../dp/B07VK5HJY3

Poppy!!!! Thank you! I never knew they existed!

You're welcome Spin.
    I hope you find what you are looking for.

I think the one I have also allows me to place the used blades into the bottom of the unit. That, if true would be particularly helpful, because disposing of used blades can be dangerous, to just throw in the trash. I'll usually put tape around the sharp edges before trashing them. Duct tape, if available, is the best for that.

Knots!

There are a few knots that I use more often than others. The one I use more than any other is known as "The King of Knots!" The Bowline.

It is easy to make, doesn't slip, and no matter how hard you pull on it, it is easy to take apart.

https://www.animatedknots.com/bowline-knot

My favourite. I've towed a trsctor with a couple of thise, then undone them without a peep. I still have loops in some ropes that I didn't use bowlines on, from many years back.
    "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.

+

One of the best developments in the last 20 years~

OxiClean

yes of course laundry,,
    but carefully mix/use in a carpet cleaner = magic!

add: I buy the powdered OxiClean in bulk
    Last edited by orbital; 06-23-2020 at 03:10 PM. Reason: add:

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Recently found myself making repairs to more chainlink fences than I wanted. Quick! To the rescue - PulJak.

It works great on line repairs, but really shines on corners where there's nothing to secure a winch or come-along.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Wow! A nice specialized tool!

There's nothing like having the right tool for the job eh?

A couple of weeks ago, the swing gate on my hurricane fence wasn't staying closed. The latch was just about reaching the pole it clasped around.

I used a come-along to pull the fence gate and pole closer together. It was a little challenging, because the hooks on the come-along were too small to hook onto either pole.

That tool would have worked nicely.

May father always was extremely fond of having tools, he spent a lot to invest in having the right tool for the right job and when he died I inherited his tools and the right tool can make your day saving you a lot of time and effort and even reduce/eliminate injuries and when I find tools that I can use often enough for cheap on sale or used I often latch onto them. I picked up a come-a-long awhile back that I paid $15 for that costs about $60 normally in stores I think that I haven't used yet and was oogling a port a power type set but that I could have used a few times but it was over $100 and my budget was more like $10 for tools that I didn't need for my job. I also oogle over these huge lines of battery powered tools and such but you can spend $5000 on them sadly most of them I would probably not use often enough to pay for them in time saved. Tools are great to have but also can be very expensive to have for those who aren't rich it is often hard to make do with what you have and wish for what you cannot afford that is why I love this thread as many post cheap and easy solutions to common problems I would say anyone who has read through this thread probably has saved some time and money by the advice given.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

My guess is that we are all tool collectors.

While doing any particular job, I find that if a particular tool will make the job easier, I'll buy it (if cost is within reason) and figure that I got the tool for free with the money I saved by doing the job myself, rather than by paying someone to do it for me.

KNOTS:

We all know the story of how the rabbit comes out of the hole, goes around the tree and back into the hole, in making a bowline.
    Here is a video of how I usually make it a little quicker, where with a twist of the wrist, the rabbit is already out of the hole.
    This gent shows how to do it around one's body, but that isn't necessary.

Another knot that I often use is the "trucker's hitch"
    There are a number of ways to make it. One more elaborate than another, but if you know how to make a slippery half hitch, this method is easy, and the method that I usually use.

Thank you Poppy, excellent video.
    P

Staying with the theme of tying things down... the Nite Ize carabiner Figure 9 is a great product for those who don't know how to make knots, or those who just want to make life easier for themselves.

Regular carabiners are also useful tools that "just work."

Pictured here with one of my favorite flashlights Niteye MSC20 (except that I can't pocket carry it due to the magnetic rotatory switch, which sometimes self activates.)

I like the carabiner 9 better than the regular 9. It is just more versatile.

Regular carabiners are also handy for making a quick connection.

Here I use three carabiners.
    I took about a 12 foot length of paracord and put a small bowline at each end.
    They got looped over the hood supports, and the hood was closed and they were not going anywhere.
    Next I put an over-hand loop in the middle of the line, and I connected a carabiner to it.

So the first kayak is nestled into the two wedges of foam rubber that are hot glued to a closed cell anti fatigue pad, to keep the boat from rocking side to side.

The carry handle is snapped into the carabiner.

The next kayak is nestled into the first, and it has a short line tied into a loop with a carabiner attached which is clipped into the over-hand loop tied to the hood supports.

These two kayaks are pulled backwards to take up any slack in the front lines. Then they are tied with a single loop of paracord, and secured with a carabiner figure 9, inside the cab of the car.

The 3rd Kayak is secured by it's handle cord, and a carabiner to the second Kayak in the front.
    It is pulled backwards to take up any slack, and then tied with a single loop of paracord to the other two, and the roof of the car and secured with another carabiner figure 9.

The back ends of the kayaks were tied to my receiver hitch.

I also put a loop around the tail 25% of them just for better security, to keep them together.

When I bought my last kayak the blue sit on top, I did a covid pick up at the store. I am sure the people sitting in their car behind me were shocked to see that I could throw that on top of the car, and tie it off in about 90 seconds and drive away. I am sure they could tell that this was not my first rodeo. LOL

I used to use a ratchet strap, but the figure 9 is SO much faster, they are never to be seen again.
    Last edited by Poppy; 08-31-2020 at 07:24 PM.

+

Handheld rotary tools
    ..using the small cut-off wheels, to little sanding/grinding attachments = they work where others can't.

I have a bit of a thing about carabiners.
    I've always used them when sailing, but their main use is on our dogs' leads.
    We've always had beagles, and the stress they put on conventional leads and clips doesn't bear thinking about. Until Harry, our present beagle, a conventional barrel lock carabiner did the trick, but Harry wriggles and pulls so much that he can unscreww the lockk and the twist the carabiner open.
    A few years ago I discoverd a Black Diamond Magnetic Carabiner. The locking mechanism is controlled by two magnets which hold a latch shut. It's Harryproof and Yetmanproof too.
    P

Now that's a healthy harness you have for Harry!

My son also uses a sturdy carabiner to connect his pit to his harness.

Last winter, when the days are short, I saw a gent walking his dog. The dog's harness, and leash had lots of 3M reflective cloth sewn into it. There was no mistaking that a person was walking his dog from a block away.

Reflective tape/material, is something that "just works!"

Personally, I wish all outer layer clothes had sufficient reflective material in them to be easily seen at night.

Shimano 105 components aka bullet proof. Mine are still going strong after more than 3 decades ( along with the Italian steel Gios Compact Pro frame ). Shimano road component hierarchy:

Dura Ace (thousands of dollars! the best)
    Ultegra (not as costly as the top of the line - lighter than 105)
    105 (as stated, bullet proof)

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    Shimano 105 components aka bullet proof. Mine are still going strong after more than 3 decades ( along with the Italian steel Gios Compact Pro frame ). Shimano road component hierarchy:

Dura Ace (thousands of dollars! the best)
    Ultegra (not as costly as the top of the line - lighter than 105)
    105 (as stated, bullet proof)
    Nice! I have Tiagra on my bike. Looking to upgrade to a new bike that can run wider tires (28 maybe) and a step up to Ultegra. It's on sale but still having a hard time pulling the trigger.
    GOOD TINT!

When I wear my Shimano baseball cap half the comments are thumbs up by fishermen. The other half by bicycle riders.

My oldest multi speed bikes have Shimano derailuers. They just work. I like their thumb shifters too.
    John 3:16

I was going to comment on the fact that I still have a Shimano push button fishing reel from my childhood. It always worked flawlessly.

When I was buying a 29 inch bike for my grandson, last Christmas, the owner of the shop mentioned that the bike has Shimano gears, and I knew that they were quality.
    Last edited by Poppy; 09-10-2020 at 02:11 AM.

Even bad Shimanos aint bad.
    John 3:16

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 367891011121314 LastLast