FourSevens        
Page 1 of 13 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: {{ Stuff that just works }}

Default {{ Stuff that just works }}

+

Have you ever had a product,, any product
    that exceeded your expectations, or was so good you bought another right away?

Share your experiences__
    Last edited by orbital; 11-04-2015 at 07:24 PM.

Default Re: {{ Stuff that just works }}

May sound stupid but, Griots Garage Cleaner Wax. It just works.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...x+16+ounces.do
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

1. Leatherman Sideclip. I NEED pocketclips, can't stand loose items in the bottom of my pockets, and can't really do belt sheaths day in day out. Probably my most used multitool. I had two, my son lost one, a member here found one for me in a hardware store in England and was kind enough to purchase and ship it to me. That is still new in box, while my original backup now gets used pretty hard.

2. 4WR Vise Grip pliers. Look just like regular, but 4" long. Tiny but incredibly useful. I had wanted a Leatherman Crunch (Theme here?) but they were pretty expensive for what they are in my opinion. These 4WR's are light, locking, fairly cheap, easy to pack, and make great pot handles when cooking. Also nice to have a second pair of pliers for gear repair , etc. in the woods. Makes a great bit holder for the Leatherman bits, or others for that matter. I've got four or five of these scattered in bags, cars, trucks, etc. Pics side by side forthcoming.
    EDIT- Pics.

3. Zebralight SC62w. Ordered one, used it for one night when it showed up, have a second put aside in case the first one goes bad. I like it that much.
    Last edited by scout24; 11-05-2015 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Added content.

May sound stupid but, Griots Garage Cleaner Wax. It just works.

hotlinked image removed
    ^

My Dad was nuts about Griots products,, especially the window cleaner.
    He would buy it by the gallon, somehow I now have 2 gallons of Griots window cleaner.

Not sure if I'll go though 2 gal. of it in my life

>> On a more CPF note, one thing I bought another right away was a EagleTac D25LC2 Mini {twisty}
    to this date, I have not found a more grail light for me

hotlinked image removed
    Last edited by archimedes; 10-02-2017 at 06:02 PM. Reason: hotlinked images removed

Rain-X!!! It amazes me every time, especially after a fresh application and anything 50mph+. But it does last quite a long time.
    GOOD TINT!

Knipex pliers ...

... is the archimedes peak

I'd love to contribute, but none of my stuff seems to "just work" anymore.

How about this? Half a spoon of baking soda for serious stomach acid attacks. Relief in seconds where OTC antacids take their sweet time about it.
    It's good for first aid for battery spills and a bunch of other stuff too. Glad we have it, what would the world be like without baking soda?

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Rain-X!!! It amazes me every time, especially after a fresh application and anything 50mph+. But it does last quite a long time.
    Have to agree. Regarding the wipes only though. The spray bottle is just awful. Smears all over the place.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    1. Leatherman Sideclip. I NEED pocketclips, can't stand loose items in the bottom of my pockets, and can't really do belt sheaths day in day out. Probably my most used multitool. I had two, my son lost one, a member here found one for me in a hardware store in England and was kind enough to purchase and ship it to me. That is still new in box, while my original backup now gets used pretty hard.

2. 4WR Vise Grip pliers. Look just like regular, but 4" long. Tiny but incredibly useful. I had wanted a Leatherman Crunch (Theme here?) but they were pretty expensive for what they are in my opinion. These 4WR's are light, locking, fairly cheap, easy to pack, and make great pot handles when cooking. Also nice to have a second pair of pliers for gear repair , etc. in the woods. Makes a great bit holder for the Leatherman bits, or others for that matter. I've got four or five of these scattered in bags, cars, trucks, etc. Pics side by side forthcoming.
    EDIT- Pics.

3. Zebralight SC62w. Ordered one, used it for one night when it showed up, have a second put aside in case the first one goes bad. I like it that much.
    I still use my Leatherman SideClip, and even have the the part for it to use bits.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Knipex pliers ...

Haha! As I started reading this thread, this is the product I was thinking about mentioning! I've tried a number of tool brands over the years, and nothing grabs as well as these do.

As as far as lighting products go that exceed my expectations, three letters: HDS.

Welcome to the Dark Side! Which just also happens to be the Light Side.

Great Thread Here !

I look forward to reading everyone's contributions.

Myself, gotta' mention --

Sanyo / Panasonic Eneloop rechargeable batteries !

Had always avoided " rechargeable " cells,
    because they would be DEAD when I actually NEEDED them.

Simply were not a reliable choice for me.

Enter the Sanyo Eneloop !

Holds most of its charge for YEARS ! ! !

Incredibly dependable and reliable.
    I'm still using (on a daily basis)
    AA Eneloop batteries which I purchased:

8 Years Ago !

Never Leak.
    Can quickly be " topped off " with no memory effect.
    So I can always have a Fully-Charged battery in my device !
    No need to "run down" an alkaline, to use it all up.

Eneloops were certainly a GAME CHANGER !

_

Hate to turn the subject to flashlights but...

Malkoff MD2. I was so impressed with the choice of lumens on low, then there was that awesome beam in high...
    I bought one to stash.

Did the same thing with a tan Sure Fire G2x Pro.

Back to not flashlights:

Padded handle vice grips by Craftsman. So rigid when breaking loose mega stuck bolts and the padded handle allows you to clamp even tighter.
    John 3:16

Back to lights.... I'd say every old school SureFire I own with a pressure switch tailcap. Even my Milky-modded L1 Xtreme with two-stage pressure switch tailcap.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Light wise, haven't found a light that works better for me than an Eagletac D25A2. I also have to second the eneloops, they just can't be beat for a rechargeable battery.

I have also over the years found a Ruger 10/22 just flat out works, well as long as you don't use cheap magazines.
    Reliability, NW and moonlight mode, the most important factors in a light

Quote Originally Posted by Tac Gunner View Post
    I have also over the years found a Ruger 10/22 just flat out works, well as long as you don't use cheap magazines.
    I guess you could also include the SP101. It always works.
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

Seiko Monster ...

... is the archimedes peak

Quark PRO QP2L-X, after four years of experimenting, I found a true love. For my needs, it just works.

iMac, after 16 years of always needing to fix my PC, I purchased an Apple. I love my iMac.

1994 Chevrolet Astro, 311,000 stop n go delivery miles. Every time I turn the key, it just works.

John Deer SRX95 riding mower. I've used it to mow an acre of lawn for 12 years. It's been the most trouble-free tool I've ever owned.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

I like the Mk II.

Unfortuneatly I no longer own one.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 11-07-2015 at 01:42 PM.

I wish I could say the same thing. Even with standard Ruger 10 rounders, I've found the 10/22, even properly cleaned, hates a heavy diet of .22s. Typically one jam per magazine. Which I guess isn't that surprising since it's a semi-auto tossing out rimfire rounds. Often, brass flying out at weird angles. Ended up with one right between my eyes. (Thumbs up for shooting glasses.) One round jammed so bad I had to reach in and rip it out. The bullet was literally at a 90 degree angle to the casing. I didn't even think that was possible.

Excellent gun, lots of accessories.... Just a bit disappointing for me.

One day in a doctors office I read the Kimber 1911 converted to a 22 has jamming issues with some rounds but not others.

It was a while ago so I do not recall which it preffered.

Guess what I'm saying is "have you tried different brands of ammo?"

Honorary Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by Str8stroke View Post
    I guess you could also include the SP101. It always works.
    My two SIGs. Don't think I've had a jam in the 20 years I've owned them. They will cycle ammo that other guns sometimes have trouble with.
    It is better to buy a beautiful, expensive, custom flashlight than to curse the darkness.

to Monocrom --

My factory-stock Ruger 10/22 has gone through
    * MANY THOUSANDS * of rounds, over the years.

Can't say I have EVER encountered a * JAM * !
    ( which was the fault of the gun )

But I DID have perhaps 3 rounds which Failed to Fire
    after being struck by the firing pin.

Mine has been Amazingly Dependable and Reliable !

( just sayin' . . . . )

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    One day in a doctors office I read the Kimber 1911 converted to a 22 has jamming issues with some rounds but not others.

It was a while ago so I do not recall which it prefered.

No. But the one I used has a reputation for reliability. Still, it's tough to entirely blame the gun for the all the jams. It's firing .22s. There's a reason why rimfire ammo isn't used in bigger calibers. But also..... can't entirely blame the ammunition either.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    to Monocrom --

My factory-stock Ruger 10/22 has gone through
    * MANY THOUSANDS * of rounds, over the years.

Can't say I have EVER encountered a * JAM * !
    ( which was the fault of the gun )

But I DID have perhaps 3 rounds which Failed to Fire
    after being struck by the firing pin.

Mine has been Amazingly Dependable and Reliable !

( just sayin' . . . . )

I understand. Wish the one I used was as good as your's.

Honestly, very first time I fired the legendary reliable H&K MP5 (full-auto version); I didn't fire it. It jammed on the very first shot before going off. It should have fired. Checked it. Range Master came over. Even he had no clue why it didn't work. Great, I get my hands on something supposedly time-proven; and it refuses to work.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post

It was a while ago so I do not recall which it preffered.

Had pretty bad first hand experience with that issue. My neighbor and I were shooting at my range when the Kimberly conversion failed to fire. I tried a tap-rack-bang but the slide was locked up. I handed the gun to my neighbor (it belonged to him) and he was able to grab the slide and rack it, freeing the stuck round. The thing was, the round was extracted from the chamber but it got caught under the extractor at a 90 degree angle to the breech face and pointing out. When the slide slammed forward it pinched the rim of the stuck round and the round went off going through his hand. Luckily it was only minor tissue damage that resulted. He did everything correct when handling it, ran a clearing drill just like I'm sure many of us have, grab the top of the slide, pull back and let go. He just happened to have his hand still above the slide when the round went off. After some more break in time the gun ran like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    I wish I could say the same thing. Even with standard Ruger 10 rounders, I've found the 10/22, even properly cleaned, hates a heavy diet of .22s. Typically one jam per magazine. Which I guess isn't that surprising since it's a semi-auto tossing out rimfire rounds. Often, brass flying out at weird angles. Ended up with one right between my eyes. (Thumbs up for shooting glasses.) One round jammed so bad I had to reach in and rip it out. The bullet was literally at a 90 degree angle to the casing. I didn't even think that was possible.

Excellent gun, lots of accessories.... Just a bit disappointing for me.
    I have experienced a few jams like that and they ended up being caused by poor quality ammo that had loose crops on the bullets or a weak magazine spring that didn't get the round up far enough for the bolt to strip off the next round from the magazine.
    Reliability, NW and moonlight mode, the most important factors in a light

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Quark PRO QP2L-X, after four years of experimenting, I found a true love. For my needs, it just works.

iMac, after 16 years of always needing to fix my PC, I purchased an Apple. I love my iMac.

1994 Chevrolet Astro, 311,000 stop n go delivery miles. Every time I turn the key, it just works.

John Deer SRX95 riding mower. I've used it to mow an acre of lawn for 12 years. It's been the most trouble-free tool I've ever owned.

~ Chance

Wow, impressed, anyone I've known with an American car had nothing but issues or regret. I personally have zero faith in the American auto mobile industry and while I'd love to buy a car from an American company I just don't feel like dumping 30k into anything with a spotty history of reliability.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by P_A_S_1 View Post
    Wow, impressed, anyone I've known with an American car had nothing but issues or regret. I personally have zero faith in the American auto mobile industry and while I'd love to buy a car from an American company I just don't feel like dumping 30k into anything with a spotty history of reliability.
    Horrible automotive engineering is nothing new, but Volkswagan has taken it to a new height possibly entering criminal liability along with slopy engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by sidecross View Post
    Horrible automotive engineering is nothing new, but Volkswagan has taken it to a new height possibly entering criminal liability along with slopy engineering.
    VW is another company that has always been iffy in terms of reliability, they've been riding the 'german engineering' thing for too long. The recent revelations are pretty bad, fraud.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by P_A_S_1 View Post
    VW is another company that has always been iffy in terms of reliability, they've been riding the 'german engineering' thing for too long. The recent revelations are pretty bad, fraud.
    There is now an international class action suit againt Volkswagan; current owners now have pocession of an unwanted car whose value is almost zero value both monetary and in an envionment that is coping with smog caused by gasoline and diesel engines.

Let's keep this thread about stuff that WORKS and not get too sidetracked by auto company lawsuits and bad ammo etc. Thanks.

Page 1 of 13 1234567811 ... LastLast