your favorite walking shoes

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I prefer the Rockport low cut shoes with Adiprene insoles.

The soles last a good long time and those Adiprene insoles that started out in Addidas soccer shoes are just right in softness with fatigue resistance.

Whether walking or standing for hours those insoles are real comfy.
My feet feel fresh as a daisy after several hours.

They come in several styles.

^^ these are like 2 years old.

My weekend warriors. They've been used for standing on concrete working on my car(s), walking in rocky covered junkyards, standing in water, walking trails...you name it...and they also make pretty good driving shoes when I take the hot rod for a spin.

Last edited:

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Justin Work boots style 604. Wear them everyday all day and love them. Only thing they aren't good for is long stretches of standing on concrete with no movement. I'm on third pair and normally get 6 years out of a pair. 3 or 4 years as everyday boots and then they go to work/hike/old boot status until they just fall apart.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm required to wear safety boots. And prefer gore tex...
Will look into Justins for my old wore out knees. Wolverine hikers get it done, but I'm certainly open to try new things.

Nowadays Timberland Pro Design insoles are available for about $15. They aint bad.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I walk at work! So, I am not sure if that qualifies as a walking show. But anyways, I have to wear "dress" shoes for work. I do tons of walking. I have tried them all. Now I almost exclusively wear the ECCO brand. All the ECCOs I have bought have been nothing but perfect for me.

I have 2 different pair that I rotate daily. That way they can dry. I find letting them dry a day makes them last longer and not get stinky. I walk a lot! Each pair lasts me about a year.

http://www.zappos.com/ecco-holton-bike-toe-tie-coffee

http://www.zappos.com/ecco-faro-oxford-tie-black

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^Do you walk a lot? J/K

I've found rotating shoes helps insoles rebound as well as like you said, dry, un-odor etc.

It's weird how one pair of shoes used everyday lasts say 6 months. But 2 pair of same shoes rotated will last like 18 months...

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
No kidding, I could wear out a pair of Rockports in 6 to 8 months. I wear the soles out not the uppers. Strange thing is, I am easy on shoes. I don't have club feet or a odd gate. It is just when you are on your feet all day on different surfaces, they will wear down quickly.

BTW: I do have 2 pair of Goretex lined "dress" shoes for wet weather. I keep a pair under my desk. Walk a lot?? LOL Yup, and hate wet feet! I have also switched over to UnderArmor socks now. They seem to hold up best for me.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ time for a socks thread? lol

Seriously, when outdoors in cold/wet conditions socks matter.

Daily wear I love my Gold Toe. I used to wear polypropelenes all winter until I found some hikers that had 800grams of thinulate and gore tex by Wolverine. Trouble is they ceased 'em in safety toe.
So now it's Rockports for serious cold weather at work. Or my USA made Wolverine loggers.
My job requires I stand a lot. Ugh! I'm either walking miles n miles beside a paver, or standing for hours n hours watching a bridge be built...that sorta stuff.
Great way to make a living, but after 32 years of it I'm pretty picky about boots...cost is not an issue. Comfort is paramount. Yet for the money I've found Wolverines way more comfy than numerous expensive brands.

Still wanna try those Justins btw.

scout24

Flashaholic
Gold toe socks rule! I found them a few years ago. Wear well, even when on my feet all day. Shoes? I'm a Merrell guy. Blow through 2-3 pairs of Moabs a year, but I beat the snot out of them. Always wear out the soles, never an upper.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sock thread is a good idea, and then a boot thread! ha I so don't want to derail The Walking Shoe Thread, so this is my last off topic dribble. :) Sorry OP.

For work boots, I had one pair of Justins and they were nice and rugged, but then I tried a pair of DrMartins, once I wore those, Never looked back. They look a bit goofy to me, and make a strange squeaking sound on some surfaces, but if comfort is the game, nothing fits my less than manly feet better. :) Oh, almost zero break in time was required.
For dress/casual I have Ariat Boots and one pair of Lucchese. If I have to wear them all day and walk a lot, the Ariat is far more comfy to my, less than manly feet.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
My shoes for the last couple of years, left to right: ASICS GEL-Kayano 20 LITE-SHOW, ASICS GEL-Kayano 21 LITE-SHOW, ASICS GEL-Kayano 22 LITE-SHOW. Each has over 1,000 miles.

jzk8pdZ.jpg

GearHunter

Enlightened
Redwing 2406 steel toe made in America work boots. I walk 2.5 miles each way to work carrying a 22+ lb ruck and walk at least 2 miles during work everyday....best walking shoe/work boot/everyday shoe I've found.

MrJino

Enlightened
My old pair of vivobarefoots.

And new pair of merrils. So comfortable these shoes!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Redwing 2406 steel toe made in America work boots. I walk 2.5 miles each way to work carrying a 22+ lb ruck and walk at least 2 miles during work everyday....best walking shoe/work boot/everyday shoe I've found.

Former Red Wing wearer here.
But at some point those and my knees quit playing nice together.

Got 10 years outta one pair. But the updated version of that boot just didn't work out. The 'spine' had broken on the 10 year old pair...at an angle. So resole was required about every 45-60 days because of the extreme angle that would wear in the rear of the heal that quickly.
It's been generally disposable Wolverines for work ever since. Sometimes other boots get tapped. But usually the Wolverine hikers.

Now my duties involve lots of office dweller routine. So I may get out those Red Wings again.

Last edited:

pavlov

Newly Enlightened
I generally stick to Keen or Merrell. My current go to is the Merrell Allout Blaze.

PB Wilson

Newly Enlightened
I've been wearing Scarpa Zen and Mojito hiking shoes for the last few years and find both of these to be fantastic footwear.

The Zen shoes are quite a bit more sturdy than the Mojitos but are still nimble. I wear them backpacking with a pack in the 35 to 40lb range. The footbed is stiff enough for this kind of walking.

The Mojitos are quite a bit thinner, more flexible but made of nice suede and fit like a glove.

These are my go-to shoes and would recommend them to anyone.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wear the Clarks Wave line for my day to day at work - business casual. I am hard on shoes and these have lasted the longest. I can walk around NYC all day in these as well and they are completely comfortable.

For most of my non-working hours I wear New Balance running sneakers - both for running and walking. They haven't let me down yet.

I switched over to all wool socks about 5 years ago and my feet have been very happy. Prior to that I used to have amazingly putrid foot odors - but wool socks and the problem has gone away completely. For gym socks I use the Smart Wool ankle socks. I tried so many "high tech" sock solutions before this switch and nothing worked. Good ole 100% wool - a simple and natural solution!