FourSevens        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: your favorite walking shoes

Default Re: your favorite walking shoes

Brooks Addiction Walking Shoe! I'm on my third pair.

My Columbia it still alive after 4+ years... will get another pair. Any fan of Salomon? I got good impressions on my first pair.

Flashaholic*

I tried a pair in a shop but didn't like them.
    My wife though has had a pair for several years and liked them a lot. They have held up well.
    She has recently bought a new pair that looks good and are comfortable on her.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnarGG View Post
    I tried a pair in a shop but didn't like them.
    My wife though has had a pair for several years and liked them a lot. They have held up well.
    She has recently bought a new pair that looks good and are comfortable on her.
    yeah, and like its lacing system.

My favourites are adidas Supernova V - VII and Salomon X-Scream, can walk for hours in these, rather great venting system, especially the adidas.

Cheers

RBR
    - Chuck Norris??? Never heard of her. -

That time again. My fifth pair of Kayanos, the other four have 12,000+ miles between them..

Flashaholic* Crazyeddiethefirst's Avatar

New Balance 991's, then replaced by 992's. My Physical Therapist recommended them over a decade ago. Caveat: the ones that are "made in USA" have superior support and last longer...

Zero shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyeddiethefirst View Post
    New Balance 991's, then replaced by 992's. My Physical Therapist recommended them over a decade ago. Caveat: the ones that are "made in USA" have superior support and last longer...
    My wife gets relief of her back and knees from New Balance shoes.
    Late last year I began to buy her a new pair every hundred days or so in order to always have a pair nice and springy. She's up to four pairs and we'll stop at six... try that for a year tthen we'll likely start again.

I just swapped out the Rockports mentioned in the first post for a new pair. Not because they were shot, but because my work has me in office dweller mode and my old ones were looking kinda shabby what with transmission oils, coolant and other stains combined with some torn stitching.... and being surrounded by youngsters with high water trousers showing their designer socks I figured it was time to move a bit from my usual hobo looking kicks.

After breaking my big toe for the 337th time (it seems) I always have at least flip flops or slippers OG. If there is a rock or a root within 10' of me it seems like my big toes are divining rods for them. The last time my big toe was at a right angle to my foot I vowed that was the last time Lord willing... so far so good.
    Also no more "goose stepping" to the can at 2am helps. Small steps only. lol
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-25-2017 at 03:32 PM.
    John 3:16

Last year I switched from ASICS Gel Kayano 20 Lite Show to ASICS Fuzex Lyte. I used to wear Nike Pegasus but found the ASICS are a better fit.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I began to buy her a new pair every hundred days or so in order to always have a pair nice and springy.
    Every hundred days?! I mentioned I'm replacing these Asics yearly after 3,000+ miles..

Quote Originally Posted by bwalker View Post
    Last year I switched from ASICS Gel Kayano 20 Lite Show to ASICS Fuzex Lyte.
    The 20s were the last of the stiffer sole Kayanos, the 21s onward are notably cushier.

Released this week; reflective holographic oil-slicked madness:

Interested about how you think about the new pair StarHalo? Would you recommend it for jog, hike and run on urban terrain?

Unenlightened

They look great. Interested in your impressions.

I still wear my Kayano 12's from time to time. A little beat up but I ran my first and only marathon in them 11 years ago and don't want to trash them until they completely fall apart.

Kayanos are for distance walking or casual jogging, not for sprinting or anything that requires abrupt changes of direction. If you need to do a lot of walking or are in a friendly marathon that you want to merely participate in and not dominate, these are as good as it gets with unusually light weight, a very comfortable step that borders on cushy, and a velvety sock liner that makes cheap/no socks feel expensive.

I don't know if you know my backstory, but I work in an Amazon Fulfillment Center, a warehouse where everything that you see on Amazon is physically stored; I walk between 12-15 miles a day and manage an even 3000 miles per year, so comfortable shoes that last are not optional. I've been wearing Kayanos for over three years and own at least one pair of every version since version 20. A bit of water and a brush every so often and the shoes look pretty much the same as new, after ~3000 miles the interior and exterior/bottom sole show mild wear and that's it, these shoes are like alien technology compared to what's sold at the mall..

I've only put a few dozen yards on these today, but they're representative of Kayanos in general; very comfortable out of the box, I'd gladly just throw them on and then go work my shift (which I've done with new pairs before, and will do with these tomorrow.) If you don't need the oil-slick reflector bits, the standard version is ~$20 cheaper. I'd also recommend the version 22 Kayanos which you can still find for only ~$100.

StarHalo, that's just about perfect. I'll go grab one soon. Thank you for your helpful reply. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    The 20s were the last of the stiffer sole Kayanos, the 21s onward are notably cushier.
    Ah, that explains why I was so disappointed with the 20s after having tried on and sized myself in 21s. I ended up buying the 20s online because they were on a huge price drop. Should've just got the 21s because I loved the cushion in them. Live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by bwalker View Post
    Ah, that explains why I was so disappointed with the 20s after having tried on and sized myself in 21s. I ended up buying the 20s online because they were on a huge price drop. Should've just got the 21s because I loved the cushion in them. Live and learn.
    Amazon still has a large selection of 22s available which are very similar comfort-wise to the 21s, but with a more resilient and easier-to-clean exterior. I'd say the 24s are on par as well, but you won't find them on sale yet.

^^ No worries of them being hard to find in the closet...

Stevie Wonder could see those.

Still wearing my Rockports. I did break out a new pair to wear to work though. The office dwellers were scared all the tranny fluid and other bio-hazards attached to the uppers would cause pre-mature births and such...
    Snowflakes; gotta love 'em.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 07-28-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    John 3:16

New kicks; the 90's were Air Jordans, the 00's were Crocs, but the '10s belong to the Adidas Ultra Boosts - it's basically a big sock with a fat slab of foam on the bottom, like if The Dude from Big Lebowski designed an athletic shoe. Highly recommended if you'd like something comfortable enough to try falling asleep standing up in:

Shoe reviewer with 400K+ Youtube subscribers, one of the largest sneaker info websites, and many hundreds of pairs of his own shoes reviews the most comfortable of 2018; skip to 12:00 for his overall most-worn winner:

Luna Sandals. I usually wear the origen flaco, but switch it up occasionally to a different style.

For now.... Merrell Men's Moab 2.

Excellent hiking shoes. I'd strongly recommend keeping a pair of broken-in ones next to your BOB in case you need to actually Bug Out. Toss them on, and grab the BOB. Nothing worse than trekking for miles in the wrong type of shoes. I also like that they aren't ridiculously expensive.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I have slightly wider feet. I've worn ECCOs, Nike, and Keens. None lasted me longer than a year. Nikes separated at the sole, Keens blew out the sides at 8 months, and ECCOs wore through the sides in 6 months (thankfully they sent a replacement pair for free but those wore out pretty quickly, too). I am now using Teva shoes which are so far the most expensive ($170). The rubber around the toes is starting to separate after using them for 3 months, but the inside upper is holding great (it's lamb skin). Most of my other shoes would wear through the heel inside the shoe, so I am hoping these Tevas hold up.

Do any of these come in a size 14w?
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Quote Originally Posted by aginthelaw View Post
    That's my shoe size. The Merrells mentioned above, do.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    For now.... Merrell Men's Moab 2.
    Excellent hiking shoes. I'd strongly recommend keeping a pair of broken-in ones next to your BOB in case you need to actually Bug Out. Toss them on, and grab the BOB. Nothing worse than trekking for miles in the wrong type of shoes. I also like that they aren't ridiculously expensive.
    Ditto. Bought a waterproof pair for a British Isles vacation and they were exceptional on cobblestone and in all weather conditions.
    Last edited by SCEMan; 05-02-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Unfortunately, I need shoes with an arch shank and plenty of padding for the sole. My current favorites are the Drew Voyager (bought with coupons on the Web) and Merrell Adventure with Timberland Pro insoles replacing the stock ones.
    "However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -- Stanley Kubrick

Most comfortable 2019:

Quote Originally Posted by aginthelaw View Post

Most modern athletic shoes are available out to size 15-16.
    Last edited by StarHalo; 05-21-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast