Wuben        
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: #1 FOURSEVENS Knight and Paladin - PK collaboration!

Flashaholic

Default Re: FOURSEVENS Knight and Paladin - PK collaboration!

Post #6
    Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post
    Great video. That click switch seems pretty ingenious to me! To clarify the burst mode (using a 123) - 450 OTF lumens for 60 seconds and then ~225 lumens for two hours? That sounds great.

And was was that a AAA bolt action light?!
    Post #7

Quote Originally Posted by 4sevens View Post
    yes and yes
    This was the exchange early in the thread (but tech support refuted it yesterday). Surely there is someone on this thread who has the Knight who knows if high (450 lumens with the CR123) stays high continuously or whether it steps down.
    Last edited by witness; 08-05-2016 at 11:20 PM.

YES it steps down!
    I got a Paladin recently, so I tested it with the included CR123 primary and a LiFePO4 RCR. I turned the light on high and timed the stepdown with a stopwatch. I don't have any sophisticated testing equipment, so these observations are made visually. After 1 minute 30 seconds, it starts the stepdown, and after 2 minutes it seems to finish the stepdown.

Incidentally, despite the lower voltage of LiFePO4 (3.2v vs 3.7v) it still seems slightly brighter on the burst mode than on a primary, although how much I can't say for sure.
    Last edited by Link Archer VI; 08-06-2016 at 09:29 AM.

Flashaholic

Sorry they will not be numbered. It's a logistical nightmare dealing with number requests
    yes and yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Link Archer VI View Post
    YES it steps down!
    I got a Paladin recently, so I tested it with the included CR123 primary and a LiFePO4 RCR. I turned the light on high and timed the stepdown with a stopwatch. I don't have any sophisticated testing equipment, so these observations are made visually. After 1 minute 30 seconds, it starts the stepdown, and after 2 minutes it seems to finish the stepdown.

Incidentally, despite the lower voltage of LiFePO4 (3.2v vs 3.7v) it still seems slightly brighter on the burst mode than on a primary, although how much I can't say for sure.
    Thanx,
    Those observations jibe with David Chow's assertion that you get 600 lumens from the rechargeable. It is a little annoying though, that they seem to be misleading on the max lumens and don't make it clear that the max is in "turbo mode" only. To me this makes the specs on this flashlight useless. I don't want a maximum to impress people, I want a maximum that is useable. Extreme brightness for one minute is just for show and bragging rights IMHO.

Sorry for the necropost. This appears to be the proper thread for this question.

I have a Paladin that I've dropped a few times and broken something inside the tailcap. Occasionally it will turn itself on, even with the tailcap screwed all the way out to lock-out position, so I believe there is a loose piece of metal floating around inside the switch.

Does anyone know how to non-destructively open the tailcap to service the switch mechanism and replace the o-ring (if there is one--I'm pretty sure there is since it is water-resistant). Or, if there's a way to clear out the loose piece of metal without opening the cap, that would be sufficient.

I've asked Prometheus' tech support but they do not yet have an answer.

And I'm looking for a replacement for my Paladin, but if there's a way to fix it, I can keep running it as my EDC.

Buying another one doesn't make sense because I'll just accidentally drop the new one and break it again, so finding a way to fix it is a must before buying a second one.

Thanks in advance!

I had exactly the same problem.
    I started this thread, but it's not good news...
    https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ght-Tailswitch

I ended up buying a Quark body and tail from kingofsoles on Ebay (I can send you a link to his stuff by PM, if you wish).
    The head works just fine, and although it's now a clicky, I have a good working light.
    Here's the diagram PK sent me of the tailcap

P
    Last edited by peter yetman; 10-01-2019 at 06:32 AM.
    Peter's shopping list:- HDS / Oveready 170N Exec/LE and an Oveready V4 Nichia Drop In. Otherwise I'm content. Want want want, that's me.

Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

I was able to procure a few prototypes and preproduction Paladins. The prototypes (2, 3, 5, & 7) don't have a removable bezel ring. The preproduction, number 4, does.

Also, forgot to state, the prototypes have a convex tail-switch, while the production lights have a concave switch.
    Last edited by Chauncey Gardiner; 10-01-2019 at 10:08 AM.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Whoa, thanks Peter and Chauncey! I will go post in the other thread.

(And nice Paladins/Knights--makes me want to buy another, but I really shouldn't since I drop these things on a regular basis.)

Chauncey Gardiner AKA Proto-Ho.
    I was told that some protos had tailcaps that would come off easily.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post

P
    There may be a way to remove the tailcap, it is implausible but possible.
    You would need to shove something thin and narrow (perhaps a cut strip of a soda can) around the full circumference under the space near the o-ring and SS clip , then carefully closing the tailcap and hopefully compressing the SS clip. Then slowly unscrewing the tailcap with the SS clip compressed.
    It would be very difficult as the gap to insert is too small to just insert a wide enough strip, you would have to shove the strip in prior to attempting screwing it down and compressing the SS clip.
    Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by dchang0 View Post
    Whoa, thanks Peter and Chauncey! I will go post in the other thread.

(And nice Paladins/Knights--makes me want to buy another, but I really shouldn't since I drop these things on a regular basis.)
    I hereby dub you - dchang0 unclinched. Oh! and

Quote Originally Posted by Beamhead View Post
    There may be a way to remove the tailcap, it is implausible but possible.
    You would need to shove something thin and narrow (perhaps a cut strip of a soda can) around the full circumference under the space near the o-ring and SS clip , then carefully closing the tailcap and hopefully compressing the SS clip. Then slowly unscrewing the tailcap with the SS clip compressed.
    It would be very difficult as the gap to insert is too small to just insert a wide enough strip, you would have to shove the strip in prior to attempting screwing it down and compressing the SS clip.
    I thought about this, and it doesn't seem possible because there is a 90-degree bend right before the o-ring. You can see it in the drawing--it is the "bulkhead" against which the pocket clip is screwed.

I think this would be the way to do what you came up with. Take 5mm wide strips of mylar plastic, kind of like the little things you find in the collars of dress shirts. Shove those in through the 90-degree bend, past the o-ring, through to the metal retaining ring. Do this all the way around...

I figure it won't work, though. Better to use tiny strap wrenches to crank on the body and cap and twist it off. it will probably destroy the stainless steel ring inside or at least deform it, but a new ring should be easy to bend out of dental wire. Probably better to replace it with brass wire like the prototypes to make it easier to remove the cap again.

The question is, will the inside of the titanium cap be damaged by forcing it past the stainless steel retaining ring? Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    I hereby dub you - dchang0 unclinched. Oh! and
    LOL--thanks, and thanks!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678