ls bare emiter?also can i direct drive one?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
what is it how is it diff then regeler ls. picsif ya have it may help i also want to run one in a 3d flashlight but i wanna direct drive it cause it will be easier will it work?

stephenanderson2

Newly Enlightened
The (bare emmiter) is the LED with no star (the board that it sits on) and no other componets attached, such as a regulator. IT is just the LED. You can direct drive one if you have the right voltage for your LED, but you would still need to mount it into something. (The PR base?) I don't know how you're planning to do this. You might want to look at the EVERLED at LED Supply. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i've run plenty of 1w emitters dd in a 3d mag.

what host do you plan on using?
if using a mag, then the hotlips is the best and easiest heatsink to use, if using something else a little big of creativity might be in order...

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie, the bare emitter is simply the Luxeon removed from the star substrate and aluminium heatsink. If you have a Luxeon I or III emitter, eg. Q3J or TWAK, you can DD it with 3 x 1.5V. Do not use rechargable NiMhs though. Alkalines and lithiums are fine. Just make sure you heatsink it properly. If it is a Luxeon V, you can DD it with 3 x CR123s. Again, heatsinking is paramount.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
hmmmn i didnt think about heat sinking yet . what part does the heat sink atach to. i heard it was the negative side of led?or is it the glass around led?