Closing the "GAP"

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Closing the \"GAP\"

My EDC has always included a 2x123 long throw incandescent, initially one of the "big three" and more recently the TL-2 xenon as a more compact but still long throwing compromise. I didn't believe that a 2x123 LED could fill this role for at least two or three years but I was wrong, or at least partly wrong. The E2E mounted McLux PR917 will out-throw my E2E/MN03 and maintain its brightness for about 1.5hrs. It is a little heftier than the E2E but still a very compact light.

Is it a true "long-throw" light? That depends on your definition, but I consider any 2x123 that can equal or surpass the classic three (TACLITE, TACM, PM6) to be a genuinely long-thrower. The TL-2 xenon, though an excellent thrower, is still a distinct step or two below that standard, while the McLux PR917 is two or so steps behind the TL-2 and the E2E perhaps a half step or more behind the PR. So by those stringent standards I'd have to say the PR isn't a true long throwing light, but it beats the E2E, which used to be our favorite and smallest incandescent and it runs at full brightness many times longer, which is why I carry it.

Incandescents are far from dead, but day by day, week by week manufacturers and modders are

Closing the gap

Brightnorm

chumley

Enlightened
Re: Closing the \"gap\"

There is one problem with comparing incandescent and led. I got my PM6 for $30, I don't think there are any led lights that can compete in that price range yet. That is why I haven't given up yet on incandescents. However, I still use led lights for maybe 90% of the time.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Oh, I haven't given up on them, but LED progress is very encouraging and prices will eventually come down.

Brightnorm

chumley

Enlightened

I also hope led progress will advance. Up until I joined this forum, my brightest light was a PT Tec-40. So I am still impressed with xenon output compared to krypton or halogen.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Re: Closing the

brightnorm,
That is very useful information. Thanks for a realistic comparison of the PR/ Luxeon III with incandescent lights. You wouldn't happen to have a PR/ X bin 5 watt to compare would you? I'm wondering how a 5 watt PR would compare to a P60/P61.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: Closing the Gap

Hoghead,
The 5W in a PR will provide a larger flood and not have the reach of the Lux III or the P60.

BN,

As the flux continues to increase on the LED's, the gap will get narrower! My gut tells me that the HID's will be coming out in lower wattage formats and the LED's will squeeze the incandescents from the bottom. Tempered by price though, I think the incandescents have some future yet.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

Thanks Don. I was hoping the PR/X3T/BB750/2x123 would compete with the P61 for Lumens even if the P61 could out throw it. I agree you get more Lumens for your money with incandescent lights, but there are a lot more regulated LED lights than there are regulated incandescent lights. I'm also having a lot of fun with both of them.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Speaking theoretically (and half-baked at that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif ), a 2x123 light has a hard limit in terms of how much current flow the 123 cells can deliver for any significant length of time. Both incandescents and LEDs will ultimately bump up against that limit... so it becomes a matter of which technology offers greater efficiency. If memory serves, today's LEDs are actually about equal in efficiency to halogen (or maybe xenon with the latest, highest-flux LEDs?), so based solely on these raw materials, a light using either ought to reach about the same potential result.

However, LED efficiency has been improving year by year and is likely to continue doing so for a while. That will ultimately seal the fate of the incandescent for general purpose use.