First dual power lamp

teeveeloon

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I set out the task to make a lamp that could be powered by either 3 x AAA or 1x18650/2xcr123a, today was the day I finished it.

Im new to this so quite proud of my efforts, only light project I have done before this was a 12v bedside lamp which required very basic skills, this was a little more advanced for me.

LED is an XML T6 from an ultrafire C8
Not 100% on the type of driver.

The switch is 3 position, position one uses the 3AAAs to power the light, position 2 is off and position 3 uses the 18650/2×cr123a.

8d6f55ed81ce9404fcc9e025a0ace059.jpg
054ade8c1ff46100671075b77e92a4e1.jpg

Design is unique I think, not totally aesthetic, but I will be using it camping, which is why I chose the versatility in batteries, so in the event of my 18650s dying, I would use AAA primaries. Or rechargables, really is totally up to the user! The batteries are housed in the feet of the lamp and make it very stable.

I had so much fun making this. What feedback do you guys have? Im a 17 year old who recently discovered this world of lights and loves it.
Thanks for your time.
6b8e4d9f69b53cef5d0498a5db127f42.jpg

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum and Neat idea. Look heres the reality my friend. It doesn't matter if it works or not, if everyone loves it or hates it, if its pretty or ugly, its YOURS and you had fun! I am not sure if you are going to get a invite to the White House?? But you had fun and you built it! So that is awesome.

For some reason I am wanting to call this creation Cyclops!

EDIT: way off topic: Is that counter top Terrazzo from the 70's?? Sure looks like it. lol

teeveeloon

Newly Enlightened
I like that name!

Well at least it works!

Every project I will try and make something a little more challenging, hopefully I'll see some improvement, still working my fine motor skills with the soldering iron.

Thanks

Flashy808

Enlightened
Yeah it's a very nice idea & it should suit your purpose pretty well... But if not, doesn't matter it was FUN and you should feel proud & accomplished because you made something that worked (just reiterating^^ :)) It is actually a pretty resourceful idea reusing that LED from the Ultrafire -Always Recycle :) (oh and collect up parts until you have everything!!)

I'm probably in the same boat as you, soldering some simple projects at first and slowly getting more difficult.... Also I'm about ur age -shhh :)

Also Welcome to CFF!

Again Off-Topic: Are those batteries (the Eclipse batteries) from JayCar?? Just curious, sprung an idea.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the idea is good. A lightsource that can run off whatever batteries you got.
Some improvment could be made if you used the same system as those all in one chargers. You know those that can charge anything from a aaa to a d-cell to a 18650. Use it as a batteri holder. Add a driver that accept 0,9-4,2V, and it will run on anything that fits :)

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The project was a success! Did the driver come from that ultrafire as well!
From here, you might look into optics, to tune the output to flood or more throw. Heck, you can design a austen to switch between the two!

teeveeloon

Newly Enlightened
Again Off-Topic: Are those batteries (the Eclipse batteries) from JayCar?? Just curious, sprung an idea.

Thanks! Yea, got them from Jaycar (got them ages ago as i was too impatient to wait for others to arrive in the mail), not sure how they perform against surefires etc. but they worked fine for the duration of this project, are you from AUS?

DRAFTERDAN: Yep they came outta the ultrafire aswell, I like the Idea, I will look into that for next "lamp" project :)

Cheers guys

Flashy808

Enlightened
Thanks! Yea, got them from Jaycar (got them ages ago as i was too impatient to wait for others to arrive in the mail), not sure how they perform against surefires etc. but they worked fine for the duration of this project, are you from AUS?

DRAFTERDAN: Yep they came outta the ultrafire aswell, I like the Idea, I will look into that for next "lamp" project :)

Cheers guys

Haha yeah don't worry, it happens on CPF.... Just be careful of those.

& Yes I am in Aus, it's so hard to find a flashaholic in Australia....I only know of 3 or so that are on CPF. Also which state are you in?

Sadly I still have a long way to go on my electronics side of me but I just need more time... But it's all part of the fun! :)