Nitecore EA11 vs MT10A

Oxblud

Newly Enlightened
Besides a few dollars & 20 lumens, could somebody tell me the difference between these 2 models? They seem identical. And could someone recommend which one to get based on their usage and experience? Its just for basic edc and i will be using standard AA.

thanks.

creegeek

Newly Enlightened
I own a EA21 (essentially the same as the EA11) and a MT10A.

MT10A has great efficiency, compare the 90 lumen runtime 2h15m vs 3h30m.

MT10A has no parasitic drain unlike the EA series. My EA21 has a 0.34mA standby draw. You need to unscrew the tailcap for long term storage.

MT10A has a tactical tailcap switch for momentary on.

I am starting to prefer the MT10A UI for up/down of the light level instead of the "cycle" that's used on the EA21.

Hope this helps!

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. I have the MT10c which is similar but a different battery type. It has no parasitic drain and let's you cycle modes up or down, which I prefer over having to cycle through them all. The lack of parasitic drain is another huge plus also. I would go with the MT10a if I were you for these 2 reasons alone.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I'd go with the MT10A over the EA11 because I'm not a fan of single electronic on/off switches. I like the tactical forward clicky type that also allow momentary on/off use of the light. But that's not to say that the EA11 has its popularity (and more specifically the EC11). Some guys just love those single switch lights because they are small. I also do not like the parasitic drain on the battery as mentioned above.

The disadvantage of the MT10A is that its going to be a bigger light. In fact its kind of big for a single AA light. It has the same size head as that for the MT20C. However the efficiency of the MT10A is excellent and I rather like it. I like the up/dn mode switch too. I don't necessarily care for the red LED, but it doesn't get in the way and doesn't change the beam profile much at all. The MT10A has an XM-L2 LED and has a nice beam. No one really looks towards an AA light as a thrower, so I think the XM-L2 LED is a good fit.

Nitecore MT10A run time test and comments
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?408516-Nitecore-MT10A-Run-Time-Test

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Really depends on how big a light you're willing to edc. IMHO, the smaller, the better. So in my case, i'd choose the ea11 as I own one myself and have other lights that fulfill my need for longer runtimes. It all depends on your size preference for the most part.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I chose the EA11 because I don't like having to keep track of two different locations on the light to control it. I don't use a tactical grip, so the side-mounted controls on the EA11 are perfect for me. The UI is simple and powerful, and I like the size of the light. It is my current EDC. I use an IMR 14500, and since my use is sporadic, have no problem with run time. All in all, a great light.