Flashlight industry outlook - Research

MartinezBR

Newly Enlightened
Hello people,

I'm doing a marketing project for business school on the flashlight market. I'm creating an in-depth marketing plan for a kickstarter flashlight campaign.

Do any of you have an industry research that you could forward to me? I know that the majority are paid and I don't want anyway doing anything illegal here, so if it's old, it still works :)

Than you very much,

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, hmmm, the flashlight market is mostly driven by the LEDs available & the extent of battery power available to drive them. Perhaps a better starter would be to look up "Cree" for LEDs, or Panasonic/Sanyo for the most popular batteries in Ni-MH or Li-Ion chemistries. Look up the research in these areas and how the research would apply to portable lighting.

An offshoot is the LED market for street lighting. Many new river bridges utilize LED lighting.

The LED market is changing fast in price and capabilities. The battery market has mostly plateaued for a while waiting for a breakthru in chemistries.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
"a marketing project for business school on the flashlight market."

Are you asking for research about flashlight customers? Are you looking to hypothetically market some kind of useful, clever flashlight as part of your course requirements? Would it be a 'niche' flashlight or a Maglite slayer? What else can you tell us?

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Up until 2012 when I bought my first flashlight after having used only Surefire I have seen my use of flashlights have a two fold increase in output and a decrease in battery size to by a factor of two to achieve it.

I am mainly a user and not a electronics enthusiast or flashlight modifier, but the changes in flashlights since 2012 is striking.