Nitecore EC4s high vs turbo unnoticeable (1100 vs 2150 lms)

radu191289

Newly Enlightened
Hi people!
So I wanted to have another flashlight that will replace my current P12 (2014 version, 950lumens) when it comes to night (travel) photography and the Nitecore EC4S has some advantages for shooting photos (tripod mount, huge dfffuser). Anyway...
I compared the 2150lumens EC4S to the 950lumens P12 and the difference is smaller than I expected, It's a bit wider that's all... just a bit.
And when I compared the EC4S' high vs turbo... 1100 lumens vs 2150 lumens there was actually no visual difference, I made sure the light is not hot (was not use that day at all so it was perfectly cold). What's wrong? Am I missing something?

http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/ec4s
http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/p12 (I actually have the older 950 lumens)

ven

Flashaholic
The difference of 1000 to 2000lm is just a little bump to the eye, can you drop a mode from turbo back to high on this light, if so it will be more noticeable.

Also reflector type, be it deeper and wider for more throw or shallower for flood effects what looks brighter even if less lumen.

What cells are you using if not noticing a difference, should still see a little bump in output:)

creegeek

Newly Enlightened
Were the batteries at full voltage? I've read in other threads that the 2000lm is direct drive - meaning the batteries must be freshly charged.

radu191289

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm I sincerely haven't charged the new batteries I bought (panasonic 3400 3.7)... I just placed them in the charger and I see they were 40-60%
I also have 2 Olight 3400s but one is 3.6 and one is 3.7 so I thought it's not ok to use them.

radu191289

Newly Enlightened
Just saying, the EC4S is more a flooder than a thrower.
I can confirm that but still I should have noticed the difference between 1100 and 2150.

PS: The difference between Olight M18 striker 800lm and Nitecore P12 950lm is visible ... so 1100 vs 2150 should be visible too...

markr6

Flashaholic
Sound like the OP is aware of the floody nature. It's the fact he's comparing two modes on the same light is what concerns me. If he was comparing two different lights/beams, that would be another story.

So, high vs turbo about the same? Something is wrong. I could only assume it's the batteries.

Nevermind, you beat me to it!

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charge up those batteries to full. The EC4s on turbo has a small amount of full regulation, then it's direct drive.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can confirm that but still I should have noticed the difference between 1100 and 2150.

There's a noticeable difference in the highest two settings of the EC4 but due to the EC4S having it's beam more splayed, in my opinion, the intensity is not as noticeable.

I like the beam of the EC4, and the beam of a TM16. I don't like the beam of the EC4S.

markr6

Flashaholic
There's a noticeable difference in the highest two settings of the EC4 but due to the EC4S having it's beam more splayed, in my opinion, the intensity is not as noticeable.

I like the beam of the EC4, and the beam of a TM16. I don't like the beam of the EC4S.

For shooting photos, I think the relative floodiness of the EC4S is already at a minimum.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the light have a Turbo timer? That makes them step down in output depending on temps. This can really mess up comparisons and photography too.
Example: A 2150 lumen light could step down to 1500 or so lumen in 30 seconds and you may not know that happened. Then you hold it next to your just turned on 1100 lumen light and things would look almost the same. lol

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This could be an element as well as mediocre batteries. The emitter is already hot then going to Turbo and the temp regulator kicks in. My EC4S is brighter on turbo. It also has quite a bit of throw compared to my P12 2014 and the spill is quite bright to the edge.
Does the light have a Turbo timer? That makes them step down in output depending on temps. This can really mess up comparisons and photography too.
Example: A 2150 lumen light could step down to 1500 or so lumen in 30 seconds and you may not know that happened. Then you hold it next to your just turned on 1100 lumen light and things would look almost the same. lol

kj75

Enlightened
I can tell you there's a clear jump....(I used fresh charged Nitecore 3400 mAh cells)
Will post my review on this light later this week, also compared to the EC4

Stay tuned :)

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Yes as above, if not charged cells then you have around 50% power available, in turbo the cells will not allow turbo. Fresh charged cells at 4.2v will be the answer for turbo mode:)