LED Fixture to Replace 400w MH

rooster628

Newly Enlightened
Please advise me on what outdoor LED fixture to buy to replace my 220 volt, 400 watt metal halide fixture. Its located on my windmill by the house about 30' up. Also, where would be a good place to buy it. I live in San Antonio, Tx.

SemiMan

Banned
Without knowing what light you have now, what the distribution pattern is, how it is mounted, etc. ....asking what light to replace it is like saying I want a green 200HP car, and not providing any other description.

Provide some more details and you may be able to get a good answer.

Do you have a budget?

Is the current light bright enough? Too bright? Not bright enough?

skyled, why that company. Hit their website and all I see are replacement tubes and bulbs.

rooster628

Newly Enlightened
Knowing nothing much about flood lights, lets see: Existing light fixture is rectangular shaped (trunnion mount from what I learned today) and is mounted about 30' above the ground and is pointing approximately at a 45 degree angle toward the house. The house is approx. 50 away. The existing 400 w MH light provides great light but I totally blew the fixture (flames, smoke, etc.). We had a large rain and it was apparently filled with water. I want to light as much area as possible to keep from stepping on rattlesnakes.

SemiMan

Banned
Little slammed for time, but give me the weekend and I can make some recommendations.

To get "equivalent" total light output, you are looking at 250W of LED, though I expect you did not regularly change you bulb, say every three years whether it needed it or not, so perhaps you were often running with reduced light output.

What it sounds like you need is even illumination over a wide area.

I will also suggest keeping it to 4000K so that you get good contrast in the colors of rattle snakes and the ground.

Rectangular shaped sounds like you have what is referred to as a "shoebox".

Did you have a budget in mind?

Qship1996

Enlightened
Rattlesnakes? forget buying a new light,I would be looking for a new house,far away from that nonsense!

rooster628

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Semiman. Yes, I want even light over as wide an area as possible. Yes, I am unable to easily service the light. I will not risk climbing up the windmill so I do have to rely on having someone bring out a bucket truck. Budget: Well, I have had a local electric house give me a price of around $500 for the 129 watt Night Falcon Lumark Model #NFFLD-A40. I would think for my purposes that if the price gets much higher, it may not pay for me to switch from Metal Halide to LED but again. I have no problem paying that as long as I know its worth the money to do it.

Thanks again.

SemiMan

Banned
-----
Can you make a quick drawing of where the light is and ideally the area you are trying to light and the dimensions?

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
Looks like you are in a similar price range for a similar product. I will look for the description of your lighted area.

gajslk

Newly Enlightened
How about lights mounted on the house and lower on the windmill? If your yard is flat and smooth, light coming more from the side will make snakes easier to see ...

Gordon