Mouse starting to double pretty often....

was_jlh

Enlightened
Is it the kind with the ball in it that you can remove? If so, you may want to open her up and clean it out. A can of compressed air works well for this.

Another Joe

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Start > Control Panel > Mouse :

DoubleClick.JPG

Try adjusting the double click speed setting.

UK Owl

Enlightened
It may be time to replace your mouse.

Where the cable enters the mouse the cores inside snap with repeated flexing. This causes intermittent faults that may include 'freezing', 'reversed clicking', 'moving in opposing directions', 'double clicking' and numerous other forms of unexpected behaviour.

If you are good enough at soldering you can cut the cable about an inch from where it enters the mouse, and then re-terminate the cable.

My microsoft wheely mouse cable is now only half its original length as it has been repaired in this way FOUR times. It was given to me as 'faulty', but this was repaired using the above described technique. At about 18-24 month intervals I usually have to repeat this repair.

This may sound mean with a new rodent only costing about £2.50 for a cheapo one and about £10 for a tidy one, but when I get home from work and settle down for an evening surfing and my mouse goes faulty I feel a strong urge to reach for my soldering Iron.

Remember a computer mouse is classed as a 'consumable' that requires regular maintenace such as cleaning the rollers the mouse ball rests against, and will wear out with time, especially if used regularly.

Disclaimer :

The repair I mentioned above is not to be taken as advice, and would not be recommended to any person not having substancial electrical and electronic repair experience. I am only stating what I have done myself, and I take no responsibility for any damage you cause to any equiptment involved should you attempt this type of repair.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using the Logitech Cordless Mouseman Optical for some years now, and never had any problems.

The only mice I had trouble with, are all Mechanical mice. I would ruin one in less than 1 month (using a mousepad no less). Solved problem by going optical.

You may need to get another mouse. However, try everything else you can think of, before getting a replacement.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I believe that I shall look for a new one then. This one is at least three years old. It is a Microsoft (Gateway) Wheel mouse.

I have a rollerball mouse at home and yes, I have to clean it regularly!

But this one tosse me out of IE all the time when closing an extra window!

Negeltu

Enlightened
I just got a Fellowes Wireless keyboard and wireless optical mouse for my birthday. It's the greatest thing in the world...lol. No more skipping... The only mouse I ever had trouble with that I couldn't fix...was the cordless mouse that came with my Aiptek HyperPen 8000 USB drawing tablet. Whenever I press a button on the mouse the pointer jumps around. It sucks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I took it apart and couldn't figure out why it jumps around like that. I even resoldered some connections that looked loose.

LukeK

Enlightened
A basic Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse is 14 dollars from newegg.com and comes with free shipping. I own one and it works as expected. No more cleaning of rollers and it is a solid mouse for a very cheap price.