**NEW** Nitecore P12GT (XP-L HI V3) Review

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Nitecore P12GT

IMG_0362_zpslpncwtir.jpg

Manufacturer specs

LED: Cree XP-L HI V3
Max Lumen: 1000
Uses one 18650 rechargeable battery or two CR123A batteries.
Output/Runtime (1x18650): Hi 1000lumens / 1hr – Med 280lumens / 5hr 15min – Lo 55lumens / 28hr – Lower 1lumen / 520hr
Output/Runtime (2xCR123A): Hi 1000lumens / 45min – Med 280lumens / 3hr 30min – Lo 50lumens / 20hr – Lower 1lumen / 300hr
Beam Intensity: 33,700cd
Beam Distance: 367m
Impact resistant to 1.5 meters
Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8 (two meters submersible)
Second generation 'Crystal Coating Technology' combined with 'Precision Digital Optics Technology' provide extreme reflector performance
High efficiency circuit board provides up to 520 hours runtime on low
Side switch interface provides one-handed operation and easy access to all functions
Side switch features an indicator light which displays remain ing battery power (patented)
Power indicator secondary function displays battery voltage (accurate to 0.1V)
Intelligent memory function stores preferred brightness setting
High-efficiency regulation circuit provides unwavering output
Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
Constructed from aero grade aluminium alloy with HAIII military grade hard-anodized finish
Stainless steel titanium-plated clip included
Tail stand capability
Dimensions: Length: 140mm (5.51"), Head Diameter: 25.4mm (1"), Tail Diameter: 25.4mm (1")
Weight: 91grams (3.21oz)(without battery)
Accessories: Quality holster, clip, tactical ring, lanyard, spare tail cap, spare O-ring
MSRP: ~$71

In the box

IMG_0355_zpskx9odwgm.jpg

IMG_0356_zpswwk0tsor.jpg

IMG_0357_zps2u399d1h.jpg

Appearance

The P12 has a black HAIII hard anodized finish over an aircraft grade aluminum body.

the knurling is of moderate aggressiveness and is in two places; the tailcap and center cylinder. partner these with the other design elements and the anti-roll is pretty good. The P12GT can also tail stand to be used as a candle.
Overall grip is very good and comfortable. The light feels solid, yet lightweight to hold.
The markings are bright white and show up clearly on the body.
The finish is not Matte, but it isn't highly reflective either.

User Interface

The P12GT has the same features as the P12. The forward clicky button activates the light. If you half press the button, you get momentary. While the light is on, press the mode button on the side to switch between modes in ascending order from lowest to Hi.
If you press and hold the mode button, you get strobe. Press and hold the mode button again for SOS, and again for a Beacon. If you click the mode button it will return to the last standard mode you had the light on.
All above features other than SOS and Beacon are memorized, meaning if you turn the light off and back on, it will be in the mode you last had on.

If you press and hold the Mode button, along with the tail switch, a blue LED under the mode button will flash with the remaining battery voltage.

IMG_0366_zpsw15gqjof.jpg

IMG_0368_zps5wjfcu0h.jpg

IMG_0388_zpsupjedeh8.jpg

Physical Tests

I submersed the P12GT in water completely while pressing the mode button and rear clicky switch. I did not find any water to have entered the light at all.

The P12GT significantly heats up when used on the highest mode. It's nothing unbearable, but definitely toasty!:huh:

Since the P12GT is completely current controlled, there is no PWM on any of the modes.:thumbsup:

Drop test included all surfaces from carpet, to grass, to stone floor. No surfaces showed any damage other than concrete. The only thing that happened on the concrete drop was a few little "chips" or dings in the black. No performance was hindered!

The P12GT includes Nitecore's signature physical reverse polarity protection. If the battery is inserted backwards, cannot make connection. This also means that the light can only be used with button-top cells. Flat tops will not work without modification. (which voids warranty)

When the battery is at 50%, the mode button will flash every 2 seconds. When the battery is "low" it will flash rapidly.:wave:

The P12GT also features a thermal regulation system instead of a timed step-down. The system will detect the light's internal temperature in real time and adjust the output based on this.

IMG_0376_zpseumgrrk8.jpg

IMG_0378_zpsfqc6wh7w.jpg

Comparison

Below: From top to bottom
P12
P10
P12GT

IMG_0364_zpsmbiflmfu.jpg

Beam pattern
The Beam pattern on the P12GT is similar to the P12, other than the hot spot being smaller. The P12's hotspot can completely engulf the P12GT's. The flood/spill is nearly identical, with the P12's being just slightly larger.
The New CREE XP-L HI V3 Emitter on the P12GT is domeless, meaning that there is no dome over the diode, it is just flat.
It is also noticeably smaller than the P12's XP-L2 U2 LED

The P12GT also features a smooth reflector which produces a nice smooth beam pattern with the hotspot nicely transitioning into the spill.

IMG_0372_zpsoucxkmtv.jpg

ISO 100, f/3.5, 1/60

IMG_0381_zps3fedxs7q.jpg

ISO 100, f/3.5, 1/250
IMG_0383_zpshi50zuzu.jpg

ISO 100, f/3.5, 1/2000
IMG_0385_zpsyhwodbdo.jpg

Personal Opinions

The P12GT has incredible range for it's class and size. The brightness is also very impressive and blinding at close range. The Crenelated bezel also makes this valuable as a self defense tool where a knife or weapon are not allowed. The light can be used as a kubaton or to strike. Added on the tactical tail switch which can be used to activate the light into someone's eyes.
The user interface is great! I love that the 4 main modes are evenly spaced at a factor of just around 4 for each mode. I personally like this because there is a noticeable change in brightness each time, rather than having multiple "hi" modes that are barely changing. I also really like that the strobe "special" modes are "hidden" and require holding of the mode button in order to activate. The memory feature is always great as well so that you always know which mode will be on when the light is activated.

I always use the battery readout feature which is great to have. The Blue LED is bright and easy to see on my light. I also like that the button says "mode" on it so that it is easy to use for people who don't know flashlights very well.

The overall feel of the light is great and comfortable in the hand. I trust this going underwater that I would still have a good grip on the light. Add on the Tactical ring and the belt clip, and the grip is even better; however I do not use these for every day carry of the light, as I find that they can get in the way.
The size of this light is great. Being just 5 1/2 inches long it fits nicely in my hand. When clipped to my belt it provides no issues.

Another great feature of this light is that it has a very low mode of 1 lumen. Many manufacturers overlook this feature that I find very valuable. If you are out walking your dog or walking in the woods or on a trail and don't want to kill your night vision, this is great to have because it is just enough to see your surroundings but it won't hurt your night adjusted eyes. Next is the extreme brightness. This light will reach out several hundred meters. *Pictures coming soon* My backyard is 146 meters from the house to the forest start. This light reaches out there with enough brightness to clearly see what I need to see. A deer's eye reflection would be able to be seen well beyond that as well. The beam pattern is great because it has a good balance of flood and a good hot spot in the center. I could use this light both indoors and long range outdoors and it has a great balance for both. However, the P12 is slightly better for indoors.

PROS

Brightness
Throw
Flood
Battery readout
Grip
Low voltage warning
Good runtime on all modes with incredible runtime on low
Waterproof
shock resistant

CONS

The only real con that stood out to me was a delay in the physical tail switch. This is me being very nitpicky, but when I click the rear tailswitch there is about a .4 - .5 second delay on activation. The P12 has about a .1 second delay and the P10 is instant (Probably due to the PWM circuit constantly running)

I also don't really feel the need for a thermal reader system. I prefer a timed step-down because if I am really in a pinch, although possibly damaging to the light, I can click the light off and back on to get full-brightness. The pros to the thermal step-down is that you can probably keep this light on max without a step-down for longer in cold weather.

Other than that, this is a solid light with a lot of very useful features whether you want to EDC this light or mount it on a weapon.

NOW FOR THE BIG QUESTION:
IS IT WORTH UPGRADING FROM THE P12

I personally feel like the best light in the precise series is the P12 2015 version. The P12 2015 has every feature this light has other than distance and a thermal regulation system. The P12GT also costs $71 whereas the P12 2015 goes for $42 on eBay.
If you are able to get deal where you could get the P12GT for $65 or under (like I did), then I would recommend an upgrade if you want further throw. The P12GT has distinctively better throw than the P12 2015.
The only two things that are a turn off for me about the P12GT are the Thermal regulation system rather than timed step down, and the button-activation delay. I'm not sure what the cause is for the .5 second delay on activation, it could simply be my model, but it is a nitpick that bothers me.

Bottom line, I would absolutely recommend this to a friend and/or complete stranger

**EDIT**

Now that it is dark I went out to do a beamshot. I Color graded the photo to match what my eye sees. The hotspot is almost identical to what my eye sees, however the spill in the photo is darker than what my eye sees. In other words, the spill is a bit brighter and goes a bit further in person.
The first Fence is around 30 meters. The trees in the far back are 140 meters away (measured) and I can see them clearly enough to distinguish anything at that distance. There are some deer (not photographed) that I could see at 110 meters on the medium mode (280 lumens). The 1,000 "Hi" mode lit them up perfectly at that distance.

IMG_0390_zpsdousztzb.jpg

Above is the P12GT
Below is the P12 2015

With the P12 2015, I can still make out objects at that distance clearly enough to define what they are; however, the P12GT has a much brighter hot spot at that distance to where I have no troubles at all with seeing objects.

IMG_0395_zps05ynk7qj.jpg

Last edited:

TCY

Enlightened
Awesome review mate cheers. It's nice for NC to incorporate a thermal regulator instead of a step down timer to keep it cool. But.. don't you mean XP-L HI V3?

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Awesome review mate cheers. It's nice for NC to incorporate a thermal regulator instead of a step down timer to keep it cool. But.. don't you mean XP-L HI V3?

Thank you!
And Oops, did I not say XP-L HI V3 somewhere?

caldeio

Newly Enlightened
Are you going to add a p12 beamshot to compared to the one above? with the fence

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great, review, thanks. Just off the cuff, the .4-.5s (estimated, obviously) delay on the tailswitch probably makes this a non-starter for me, in normal EDC use I tend to flash a lot and losing half a second each time would drive me insane, and it's not really acceptable for backup defensive use either. I don't think pointing that out is you being nitpicky -- it's a critical piece of information for certain usages, thanks for bringing it up.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Great, review, thanks. Just off the cuff, the .4-.5s (estimated, obviously) delay on the tailswitch probably makes this a non-starter for me, in normal EDC use I tend to flash a lot and losing half a second each time would drive me insane, and it's not really acceptable for backup defensive use either. I don't think pointing that out is you being nitpicky -- it's a critical piece of information for certain usages, thanks for bringing it up.

No problem!
To put it in perspective, when you click the clicky and release, the light comes on right as you hear the "click" noise. You can still do momentary; but for a normal click, that is about how long it takes for the light to come on. I have recently heard of several types of newer lights doing that. I wonder what the cause is. If I find it out, I will definitely update it on to here though!

I agree with you about flashing things. Whenever I am walking in the dark with my P12 2015 or P10, I'm constantly flashing something with momentary rather than clicking the light on. Sadly, as much as I would love to use the distance capabilities on the P12GT, I don't think it will be my primary light. When I really need to see something at a distance though, it will be noticeably better than the other two.:twothumbs

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Pretty darn tempting! I wish it came in a neutral white. I will have to stick with my T25C2 HI for that reason, for now...

led-head

Newly Enlightened
Bugoutboys, the clicky delay time is also extremely important to me as well so I'm so glad you mentioned it. Saved me $70! This is one thing that will make or break a purchase for me. That's why I love my Streamlights so much, they turn on the moment you tap the button. They're so responsive, you can actuate the button and make your own strobe. I'm thinking of buying the Nitecore P20 (should have the same components as the P10) now that you mentioned the clicky is so responsive, how do you like your P10? I have a Nitecore SRT7 and I can't stand the clicky for two reasons, it's too hard and it has too long of a delay.

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bugoutboys, the clicky delay time is also extremely important to me as well so I'm so glad you mentioned it. Saved me $70! This is one thing that will make or break a purchase for me. That's why I love my Streamlights so much, they turn on the moment you tap the button. They're so responsive, you can actuate the button and make your own strobe. I'm thinking of buying the Nitecore P20 (should have the same components as the P10) now that you mentioned the clicky is so responsive, how do you like your P10? I have a Nitecore SRT7 and I can't stand the clicky for two reasons, it's too hard and it has too long of a delay.

Eagletac also has a light in this size range, it doesn't have some of the P12GT's nice features (e.g., voltage meter), but it's slightly smaller, no button press delay, and HI V3 LED. The Eagletac is 20k lux and NC 33Klux, but with NC's drastic over-spec'ing, I wonder if they're actually very close. Eagletac DX30L2 and DX30L2-R (the R version is 5mm longer but has a microUSB charging port). That seems to me to be the other .9-1"-bodied HI V3 light, at the moment.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened

Glad I could help!
The P10 is amazing, I absolutely love it. There is no delay whatsoever on either of the switches. The interface is simple and easy to use. I keep it clipped on my belt. Some reviews say that the PWM is noticeable but I have not noticed it at all on any of the modes without a fan or camera. I have also dropped it several times on concrete (both were pretty hard tumbles) with only a few cosmetic scratches. The performance was not affected at all!
The P12 is my favorite though. There is maybe a .1 second delay. It is unnoticeable unless you really try to notice it. I can make my own strobe with the momentary on it, so it is great. The one and only thing that the P10 has on the P12 is the accessibility to strobe. If you are using this as a self defense light or want the instant access to strobe, then I'd suggest the P10. For an all around great light though I would recommend the P12 2015. I feel it has a great balance for EDC carry; especially with the mode spacing. All of the modes are around a factor of 4 (other than moonlight) and range from 1 lumen to 1,000. The throw and spill are also great on the P12.

led-head

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the recommendations! I will likely go with the P20 since it's been able to withstand a few drops for you and it's exactly what I need in terms of a tactically oriented light. How is the tint? I try to avoid anything in the warm and neutral territory. I like my beams as cool white as possible ;)

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Thanks for the recommendations! I will likely go with the P20 since it's been able to withstand a few drops for you and it's exactly what I need in terms of a tactically oriented light. How is the tint? I try to avoid anything in the warm and neutral territory. I like my beams as cool white as possible ;)

Do you mean P10?
The tint is a little more towards the cool side! I like that as well. I like a cool white beam! I actually will be doing a review of the P10 shortly. I just wanted to get this P12GT review out there as soon as I could!

led-head

Newly Enlightened
Awesome, I'll be looking forward to that. Although I'm not certain, the tint of the P10 and P20 should be the same.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Awesome, I'll be looking forward to that. Although I'm not certain, the tint of the P10 and P20 should be the same.

They should! My P12 and P10 have about the same tint. The only con about the P20 is that you can't use the momentary the same way you can on the P12 and P10.