Just Bought a Maratac cr123 Copper Flashlight...tell me about it

VTLightSky

Newly Enlightened
Hey All! Been a long time since I posted here but I just ordered (as the title says) a maratac cr123 copper light and a box of 12 cr123 batteries.
Anyone have this light? Can anyone tell me about it? Good or bad? I know I already ordered it but I'm curious.

Also, this is my first time with cr123 batteries. Anything I should know?
Also, can I expect pretty regulated brightness from this light and these cells? Or, after they're about half way depleted (for example) will I see a noticeable decline in brightness?

Apologies if these are NOOB questions.

Thanks in advance!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one in my pocket now. Know how I know?? Cause it is heavy. lol You will know you got it. But, it is a super nice light. I wouldn't expect much from the "glow" oring they use. It is pretty lame at glowing. Otherwise, no complaints. It has a solid feel, my threads are butter smooth, it also has a solid lanyard ring mount. I am more than impressed with the new knurling design. It feels great in your hand.

It is a twisty, but you can use it one handed with some practice. If you are going to carry it in your hand, keep it screwed down to where it is just about to turn on. Then you can just press down on the head with your thumb and it will come on. With practice, you can change modes too. DONT leave it screwed this close in your pocket. You could accidentally turn it on and drain battery or worse, burn your leg. lol

I suggest adding a short lanyard with say a copper bead. I do this with most all my lights. It really helps draw it, and for twisting. But this one you can also twist one handed. It is that smooth.

The copper seems very high quality to me. Of course I am no metallurgical engineer. Just my observation.

Is it going to be a user? or Show piece? If you are gonna make it a user, and I urge you to do so, think about a lanyard. I use the stainless fishing orings. They are hard to put on and can sometimes be too thick, but they last forever. I suggest you add a swivel too. Then I mount a lanyard or sometimes a 40 plus mm snap hook and clip it to my belt loop or whatever.

One footnote: The tail of the light has a nice indention. I have been eyeballing this for a few days and thinking.
I could do one of the following:
fill with norland and install trits
fill with glow epoxy
glue super freaking strong magnet
superglue a nut for a 1/4 mount

Not sure how this light acts when/as cells deplete. I haven't run it that long yet.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your light. Make sure you come back and give your impressions. Glad you are excited. I own 100's of lights. This one still hits a sweet spot with me. If that is any indication of things to come for you?? But we are all different. You may hate it! LOL

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Regarding CR123s, there are certain basics to keep in mind.:

1) Buy only Made in America or Made in Japan cells.
2) Buy only from reputable dealers you've heard of before.
3) Never mix & match old cells with new ones in lights that take multiple CR123s.
4) Never mix & match new cells with slightly or overly used ones.
5) Never mix & match cells from two different brands.
6) Never mix & match a CR123 primary with a CR123 rechargeable cell.
7) Avoid at all costs, No-Name brand, dirt cheap CR123 cells from China.
8) Want to save money on CR123s? Buy online, buy in bulk, and keep in mind rules #1 and 2.

*(If you need a couple of cells right away, your best bet is to head to Lowe's Hardware where they sell SureFire CR123s for $4.50 for two. More expensive than buying online. But less expensive than all other Brick & Mortar stores that typically sell one CR123 for $9.oo)

Number 5 is my own criteria. But considering what can go wrong with CR123s, I'd say it's a valid one.

VTLightSky

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the thoughts! Str8Stroke, definitely going to me a user/EDC and will absolutely throw a lanyard on that bad boy. All I can think about is how exactly to tie it. So many options! Will post pics and first impressions when it arrives (hopefully by Thursday at the latest).