POLL: Bush supporters only please

President Bush had my vote at one time...

• but lost it because of the Afghanistan invasion.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • but lost it because of the Iraq invasion.

• but lost it because of the war on terrorism.

• but lost it specifically over the Patriot Act.

• but lost it because of his administration's stance on immigration (too leninent).

• but lost it because of his administration's stance on immigration (too stringent).

• but lost it specifically over his migrant-worker proposal.

• but lost it because of the US economy.

• but lost it for some other domestic issue.

• and still has it today.

• Total voters

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to gauge which issue matters most to the conservatives on the board.
If you're a liberal (or anything in between) who did at one time support Bush feel free to vote but Bush-haters -- please sit this one out.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Patriot Act
Lenient immigration
Lied to and sold out US industry
Those are the most recent that come to mind.
(edit: I'm sorry, some of my comments were way out of line. I have way too many shortcomings of my own to judge someone else.)
When there's no good to be found, you go with the lesser of the evils...

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
He still has my support. He is the President of The United States. I even don't like refering to him as Bush, GW, or anything else of that nature. He is President Bush, Commander in Chief, or any other term of respect, by virtue of his office. But that doesn't mean I have to like him, or vote for him again. Neither does that mean I hate him.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ashcroft's power grab and the out-of-control spending are the only two major beefs I have with Bush so far, but they're both big enough to make me at least look at what the democrats have to offer. Out of the limited choices over there, only Edwards and Lieberman pass the initial giggle test. I'll have to do some more research.

gregw45

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Still has it...

But the ILLEGAL Alien issue has me pretty hotted up!

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Check your PM Joe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MichiganMan

Enlightened
You forgot my hotbutton, the Medicare expansion. He really upset me on that one, but there's no danger of him losing my vote because his opponents are even worse on the issue.

As for the illegal alien amnesty (I know, that's not what's its called but c'mon) I don't agree with it, but obviously our immigration policy with Mexico is going to evolve as our history marches forward. I find that this may be a significant step in that progression. That intrigues me and so I'm willing to wait and see on this one.

As for the Patriot Act, I've seen a lot of willfully misleading demagoguery on this issue which has resulted in my being as suspicious of the Act's opponents as I have always been of government. I welcome these late comers to the Don't-Trust-Government party and hope they had fun during the previous administration characterizing those of us that had always been here as black helicopter militia nuts. Welcome, we know we can count on you to stick to your ideals and stand by us for as long as Bush is in office.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
[ QUOTE ]
gregw45 said:
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Still has it...

But the ILLEGAL Alien issue has me pretty hotted up!

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Check your PM Joe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And me as well

Clifton Arnold

Newly Enlightened
Good Post Bravo 25 He is the CIC of this country! I really
don't like the patriot act because it forces use to give up
our freedoms. Read it like germany 1939 to 1945. Secret police getting into trouble by voicing our discontent. Has anybody noticed that russia is moving towards what we were and here we are moving toward what they were. George Orwells
1984 is another case in point. Clinton was a discrase to this country and a liar Quote: I did not have sex with who.
one other thing is the medicare medicine deal. My Father has to get his drug's that keep him alive from canada He can
get 3 months for what it cost him here for one month. And I don't see any easy way out of it. I don't mean socialize medicine eather. Because I have seen how it works in england. I was there 2 years ago and was sick as a dog. And yes they took care of me quite well. But the condiction of the Hospital was a very run down physical plant. Because they didnt have the money to keep it up any better. I will also say the britt's are a very nice people on the whole.
We live and work and play in the greatist nation on this earth and I want it to STAY THAT WAY TOO!

jhereg

Enlightened
Bush still has my vote, but I am not happy with a lot of the things he does. I hate the Patriot Act. I strongly disagree with his stance on illegal aliens. I disagree with his insurance stance. That having been said (imo)he is better than any of the alternatives are likely to be elected. Both of the major parties have their problems, but in a time of conflict I would rather have a Conservative or even a RINO than a Liberal as President. There is a time to be sensitive and a time to be firm. Right now I think we need a firm hand to take care of things. That type of person is going to cause a lot of people to be mad at them. He hasn't made me mad enough that I am willing to vote for the only other alternative. (yet)

Andy

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i was really surprised to hear some of bush's stances, some of which are just plain riduclous! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

that being said, most things about him are pretty good, and he's sure waaaaay better than any of those other loosers.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
i was really surprised to hear some of bush's stances, some of which are just plain riduclous! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

that being said, most things about him are pretty good, and he's sure waaaaay better than any of those other loosers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say that Cheney, Ashcroft, and Rumsfield are loosers. Just confused. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Bravo25 said:
I wouldn't say that Cheney, Ashcroft, and Rumsfield are loosers. Just confused. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather than me posting biographies, history of service, private and elected references, etc... how about listing some people that you admire?

At least these guys tried to do something (remember, no USSR, no Eastern European satellite states, no Saddam, no Taliban, Libya dismantling WMD's, no Iron Curtain, still huge numbers of folks willing to travel 1/2 way around the world to get to the United States--or die--what, no other country nearby or on their way is good enough? ).

Do we want to talk about Clinton (either), Gore (his record as VP), Carter, LBJ, JFK (not the F'in one), FDR who locked up Japanese Americans & extended the Depression by a decade & Verona Intercepts, current "D" presidential candidates, etc...? Still have the remnants of a bomb shelter in my parents' back yard left over from the Cuban Missile Crisis.

At least many of those that voted for Pres. Bush II have voiced our serious concerns about his policies (even before he was elected/selected/whatever). I believe that a divided government is probably a good thing--less likely to do harm to us or the world.

Here in California, it had been 5 years of all Democrats all the time. And we are now somewhere between $45 and $70 Billion in public debt just as the result of one governor, with the help of huge Democrat majorities in the legislature.

Give me a decent person, and I will vote for him. I believe that these are decent people (Bush, Cheney, etc.) and would not have issues with them baby sitting my kids. But I don't agree with all of their ideas/policies and have serious reservations about many of those policies.

Just as it took Nixon to open China, and Clinton to enact some welfare reforms... I, however don't believe that they were decent people and I would never let Pres. Clinton baby sit either of my two young daughters. Would you?

It appears that the Democrat Party is just a collection of special interest groups with a collectivist funding organization--there are no core values. Not that the Republicans are very far behind.

-Bill

lvRN

Newly Enlightened
I like president Bush. He is probably even a great guy as a person. However,I'm not happy about his spending.
I think his mission to Mars is a little far out.
I'm happy about his stance on national security. I think he is the right man for the job. I would consider collecting guns instead flashlights if there was not somebody as tough as Bush in office.
I'm not sure what the answer to the illegal aliens are. I don't think his current plan is good but something better needs to be done. (enforcing existing laws would be good
there is not much of an alternative to bush that I would consider

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting results so far.
Very much in contrast with the very vocal right-wing radio crowd.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
GJW,

Just out of curiosity--what shows/comments have you been hearing from RWTR?

I have been hearing pretty much the same thing from Right Wing Radio in SF Bay Area as I have seen here.

Which, pray-tell, is much different in content and style when I used to hear on KGO Radio in support of Clinton/Gore.

From recent history, it appears that Republicans and/or Independents are much more likely to vote our core values.

Again, from this link I previously posted, Anderson's and Nader's third party runs of 5.5/2.5 million voters verses Perot's 19.7/8 million protest voters. Perot, at his peak reached 50% of the numbers that voted for Bush the first (39 million voters) in his loss to Clinton.

The best of the Democrat protest vote was George Wallace at 10 million voters (compared with 31 million votes for Humphrey) in 1968... But that was a different time (and probably both Dems. and the Reps. were different parties).

-Bill