product description accuracy

boo

Newly Enlightened
I am asking about manufacturers that describe their products accurately.
I`m speaking of LED flashlights.
In your experience, over time, which manufacturers describe their flashlights most accurate.
Lumen output, features, quality, etc..
What say you?.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
In terms of the output, throw, and runtime, most of the reputable manufacturers are now adhering to the ANSI FL-1 standard which allows us, the consumers, to measure the products against one another. Also standards for shock resistance and waterproofness (IPX-?) and the type of anodizing (Type I, Type II, etc) allow us to compare the products on those grounds.

The fact of the matter is, it's not the wild west anymore when it comes to comparing lights, at least not among the major manufacturers. In reality, some of the little things like a light's fit and finish, consistency of LED color temperature, user interface, and intangibles like customer service are starting to become the distinguishing factors that render a brand reputable or... notorious.

Fortunately, there are several very dedicated reviewers that spend a lot of time comparing lights on their primary as well as secondary features and posting that information here for us.

In short, it's a great time to be a consumer in the LED flashlight space.

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
There are some good comments here already.

To answer the question directly, Malkoff is well-known for being accurate or modest in his estimations (run time, output, etc.).

Surefire is also largely considered to be modest in its output estimations.

If I remember correctly, Zebralight has been shown to be quite accurate in various CPF reviews.

HDS individually calibrates each light, to ensure the outputs and run times are at least as great as claimed.

GearHunter

Enlightened
In terms of the output, throw, and runtime, most of the reputable manufacturers are now adhering to the ANSI FL-1 standard which allows us, the consumers, to measure the products against one another. Also standards for shock resistance and waterproofness (IPX-?) and the type of anodizing (Type I, Type II, etc) allow us to compare the products on those grounds.

The fact of the matter is, it's not the wild west anymore when it comes to comparing lights, at least not among the major manufacturers. In reality, some of the little things like a light's fit and finish, consistency of LED color temperature, user interface, and intangibles like customer service are starting to become the distinguishing factors that render a brand reputable or... notorious.

Fortunately, there are several very dedicated reviewers that spend a lot of time comparing lights on their primary as well as secondary features and posting that information here for us.

In short, it's a great time to be a consumer in the LED flashlight space.

+1. Very well said!

Scott007

Banned
I would say it really is still the Wild West. A lot of companies manipulate the ANSI FL1 standard. Max lumens is taken at 30 seconds of being on. So say you buy a 500 lm light that meets the standard. At 31 sec the output could drop to say 100 lm Yet the manufacture can still call this a 500 lm light.
I can give an example of this with a fairly expensive flashlight, if you want me to.

Scott007

Banned
There are some good comments here already.

To answer the question directly, Malkoff is well-known for being accurate or modest in his estimations (run time, output, etc.).

Surefire is also largely considered to be modest in its output estimations.

If I remember correctly, Zebralight has been shown to be quite accurate in various CPF reviews.

HDS individually calibrates each light, to ensure the outputs and run times are at least as great as claimed.

Surefire is one of the biggest offenders:
flashlight.com (run graph) Surefire EB2 at 15 minutes it only runs at 70% till it drops out of regulation. Elzetta Bravo 650 lumen AVS impresses me a ton. It runs at about 95% it's rated output till it drops out a regulation.
I hate how manufacturers get slimy and manipulate the ANSI FL1 standard. A 500 lm flashlight should not run at 350 lm. Just like I expect a 650 lm light to pretty much run darn close to that. Elzetta is at least being honest with ANSI FL1. The average person I think would be very shocked to find their 500 lm Surefire really runs at 350 lm.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I think 'buyer beware' still applies.

But things have gotten better.

Some companies go out of their way to give the consumers the best info possible.

Some companies attempt to cast a better image that skirts the far edges of the standards.

Others outright lie. But those are typically the ones that prey on the something for nothing crowd...who are usually easy to fool anyway.
Hence why I say "buyer beware still applies."

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't believe ANSI FL1 numbers. Some companies (like Maglite) really abuse the standard to make it look like their lights have long runtimes on high.

Look up Selfbuilt's flashlight reviews in the review forum (or his website). He tests all the output curves, so you can see how they really perform.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't believe ANSI FL1 numbers. Some companies (like Maglite) really abuse the standard to make it look like their lights have long runtimes on high.

Look up Selfbuilt's flashlight reviews in the review forum (or his website). He tests all the output curves, so you can see how they really perform.

+1 on Selfbuilt! And after you use his reviews, send him some well deserved battery money.