Faulty defective Sunwayman lights.

DenBarrettSAR

Enlightened
So now the all four of the Sunwayman lights i have in my collection have failed with little use. (two arrived already defective)
Two P02A penlights, a F40A, and a M30A.

(I'm not sure if this is the right forum category for this type of topic expressing my dissatisfaction with a brand of lights and the problems i have been having with them.)

To add to my thoughts about Sunwayman in general, Sunwayman ignored my email attempts to contact them about all the issues i have had with all these lights, the only one time they replied is when i had bought a replacement driver for the failed M30A that cost my $20 bucks plus shipping. (which has also burned out)

the first P02A arrived with a dead switch, (and the tail cap assembly is heavily cemented/locked with locktite, and could not be disassembled to repair or replace the switch.
The second P02A replacement sent to me by the seller has now failed too after very little use. (used 3 times.)
I tried to take the tail cap apart to repair them as the switches failed completely, but due to the heavy cement they used, both lights were destroyed trying to get them apart.
Basically these lights have a bad switch flaw, and their use of cement makes them non repairable, and a complete waste of the high cost they sell for.
the only other two Sunwayman lights i bought, a F40A and a used M30A have both also failed. The M30A was bought used with a bad driver last year, i did manage to buy a new driver from Sunwayman last year for that light, but it failed again back in September. The brand new over-priced F40A came with a driver that flickers on Low, and sunwayman ignored my emails on that light.
Either i had a lot of bad luck with Sunwayman lights, or they are really unreliable overpriced junk. So now i have all four of the sunwayman lights tossed in the junk aluminum bin, and will no longer purchase, or never recommend Sunwayman lights to anyone, due to their problems/flaws and bad zero customer service.I have had hundreds of lights over the years, ( and still have over 320 in my collection) and use many of them quite often, but none has given me as bad number of chronic problems & failures as all my Sunwayman models have.
Below are the photos of the two P02A lights when i tried to get the tail caps apart. One the the cement was so strong it stripped the threads completely out of there body, the other the tail assembly twisted & warped the body before it unthreaded.

P02A%20-2_zpshbcbfo2u.jpg

P02A%20-1_zpsvty1qjfa.jpg

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coming from you, I would never buy one. You have the skills and experience to fix one. If you can't, NO WAY I would dream of it. Thanks for the heads up. Its good you posted this. Hopefully the manufacture will read this and make 2 changes.
1. No Glue, user serviceable
2. Improve quality of switch

Did you email them a link to this post? I have done that in the past, not with this manufacture, when I was getting no response. This action got results quickly.

DenBarrettSAR

Enlightened
Coming from you, I would never buy one. You have the skills and experience to fix one. If you can't, NO WAY I would dream of it. Thanks for the heads up. Its good you posted this. Hopefully the manufacture will read this and make 2 changes.
1. No Glue, user serviceable
2. Improve quality of switch

Did you email them a link to this post? I have done that in the past, not with this manufacture, when I was getting no response. This action got results quickly.

i have repaired & modified hundreds of lights that even also had locktite thread locker used on the threads, but never have had problems like this just to get a light apart to repair its switch. Addded i have never had (or seen elsewhere) where all one brand of lights in a lot have failed to an unusable state with such little use as all my Sunwayman lights.

( i have emailed them many times, but they completely ignored my requests for help with any of my failed SWM lights.

Last edited:

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
I have 6 Sunwaymans and they all work peachy. The only issue I had was one was a little bit flickery on high, but I tightened up the tailcap and that fixed that little prob.

Too bad you have probs .... I guess I wouldn't buy anymore. Keep trying customer service, maybe the squeaky oil will get the wheel eventually :touche:

DenBarrettSAR

Enlightened
I have 6 Sunwaymans and they all work peachy. The only issue I had was one was a little bit flickery on high, but I tightened up the tailcap and that fixed that little prob.

Too bad you have probs .... I guess I wouldn't buy anymore. Keep trying customer service, maybe the squeaky oil will get the wheel eventually :touche:

for me its a 100 % failure rate. ( Four Sunwayman lights, all four failed , three of them were brand new.

patryk79

Newly Enlightened
In the grand scheme of things, they are a fairly new brand AND are Chinese made... Sadly, when I buy a Chinese light I know I'm getting it to support my habbit and not for a real world purpose. In my experience, only Chinese lights I haven't had fail on me are Fenix....yet I still don't consider them SHTF or to hell and back lights. For when my life is on the line at work, I only trust Surefire, Inforce, and Malkoff.

I still collect other brands because.... Well.... I have a problem. Lol

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
funny to see this. i've been waiting for a month now with multiple emails to them asking if i can purchase the driver for the v10r ti+. it lost the full output and i would like to replace it myself. no reply at all. i remember a few years ago they were very very good with CS and now it's the complete opposite.

DenBarrettSAR

Enlightened
funny to see this. i've been waiting for a month now with multiple emails to them asking if i can purchase the driver for the v10r ti+. it lost the full output and i would like to replace it myself. no reply at all. i remember a few years ago they were very very good with CS and now it's the complete opposite.

indeed. I sent them an email ( to both their service and customer support) mentioning again my problems and failures of all my Sunwayman lights and gave them a link to this topic, and the same topic on other flashlight enthusiast forums expressing my dissatisfaction with their complete lack of customer support AND the bad chronic failures of their lights and they have still not replied.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the grand scheme of things, they are a fairly new brand AND are Chinese made... Sadly, when I buy a Chinese light I know I'm getting it to support my habbit and not for a real world purpose. In my experience, only Chinese lights I haven't had fail on me are Fenix....yet I still don't consider them SHTF or to hell and back lights. For when my life is on the line at work, I only trust Surefire, Inforce, and Malkoff.

I still collect other brands because.... Well.... I have a problem. Lol
LOL, I have a problem too.
I like the SWM V11R and D40A, but I haven't liked any of their new lights that they have been coming out with. (Seems they have made the low mode too high on many models). When I was at ShotShow 3 years ago, the Streamlight guy said in passing......"gee there sure are a lot of flashlight companies". Just think about how many flashlight options are available today compared to say 15 years ago. I wonder at some point if the market simply gets over saturated.

I don't know how much this has to do with the Chinese flashlight companies, but I know China is headed for an economic crises and they desperately need to devalue the Yuan without the dollar or the Euro weaking also. I just wonder if bad customer service is a symptom of possible hard times. Speculating of course.

Last edited:

sandalian

Enlightened
I got Sunwayman P20A from GearBest and have the same problem. GearBest has apologized to me, they thought that this problem caused by the shipping process. Now I can assume that the problem is from the manufacturer.

Too bad, I will take off Sunwayman from my trusted flashlight brand.
I thought they have great products when they were producing M11R (Mr. Elfin).

Last edited:

DenBarrettSAR

Enlightened
LOL, I have a problem too.
I like the SWM V11R and D40A, but I haven't liked any of their new lights that they have been coming out with. (Seems they have made the low mode too high on many models). When I was at ShotShow 3 years ago, the Streamlight guy said in passing......"gee there sure are a lot of flashlight companies". Just think about how many flashlight options are available today compared to say 15 years ago. I wonder at some point if the market simply gets over saturated.

I don't know how much this has to do with the Chinese flashlight companies, but I know China is headed for an economic crises and they desperately need to devalue the Yuan without the dollar or the Euro weaking also. I just wonder if bad customer service is a symptom of possible hard times. Speculating of course.

some of the problems with the Chinese manufacturers is that they have become to "saturated" , meaning there are way to many of them trying to get a piece of the high-end flashlight market pie. (Original started with reputable American brands like Maglite, Surefire, Streamlight, etc.) *which explains why there are literally hundreds of crap chinese *****fire flashlights trying to capitalize in the Surefire success. However there have been a few Chinese brands that have developed a good reputation for quality and performance, like Fenix, Nitecore, Olight, FourSevens, and so on that have actually produced some really good quality Flashlights, but that list also one included Sunwayman in most people's vies, but not mine as i have had nothing but bad experience with them. I do have a number of American built Surefires, Maglites, Streamlights , and also many Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, and other top Chinese brands, and they all have tested & proven themselves, but my Sunwayman lights have really disappointed me for the problems i have had, (all four i have had failed) and with a completed lack of customer support i recommend that Sunwayyman be the one so-called high-end Chinese manufacturer that everyone should completely avoid from now on.
Because i am a Firefighter, and a Search & Rescue Tech, i use many of my lights hard & for long durations in adverse conditions, and learned what is good and bad out there in the market for the flashlight industry.

Last edited:

DenBarrettSAR

Enlightened
I got Sunwayman P20A from GearBest and have the same problem. GearBest has apologized to me, they thought that this problem caused by the shipping process. Now I can assume that the problem is from the manufacturer.

Too bad, I will take off Sunwayman from my trusted flashlight brand.
I thought they have great products when they were producing M11R (Mr. Elfin).

Gearbest should not have to need to apologize to you, It is not Gearbest's fault. it is the manufacturer Sunwayman, and Sunwayman should correct the problem for you,. and everybody else, but they ignore us.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would think that a company the size of SWM would google for issues like this. Or follow CPF? When someone like DenBarrattSAR has a issue, as a manufacture, you fix it. No questions asked. It is like some of the big reviewers here, when they say avoid a product or model, you avoid it! I can only guess how many folks read this and say, no way, I am not buying a Sunwayman!
Don't let DenBarrattSAR post count here fool you Sunwayman! For folks that know him, his opinion carries weight!

adubbz

Newly Enlightened
I have...well HAD a SWM C21C that I used for around 2 years. Loved everything about this light...until it stopped working. Button just didn't work anymore.

I emailed them and they replied right away saying that while it was out of warranty, they would still fix it if I sent it back with a tracking number and emailed them the number.

I went down to the post office and they told me they can't give me a tracking number to China unless I ship express, which would have cost much more than I paid for the flashlight.

I sent it anyways and emailed them every document and receipt the post office gave me. Also in the box I printed out every email exchange I ever had with them and put it in there. It's pretty obvious when you receive the box, what it is. ESPECIALLY with the emails inside.

Never heard another thing from them. The light is gone and presumably never coming back. I would have been better off trying to open it up and fix it myself. I will never buy another Sunwayman flashlight.

So mad.

PS - I've reached them at [email protected] multiple times with swift replies.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a P25C last Feb. I use it at work so it sees hard use. I have beaten a good bit of anodizing off of it and it has until the other day been a great light. Now it just does not come on at all. Switch seems okay Ive kept the contact points clean etc. I know it is a cheap light but I cannot figure out why it just stopped working other than a solder point broke. Bought the light from Battery Junction and have emailed them praying there is some kind of valid warranty on the light. Dont want to have to deal with Sunwayman as their CS does not seem to even exist.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
Weird, I have 6 of them and they all work great. I think the biggest problem is the Tomahawk (c20c) bright modes are spaced too close ... 620 and 410 isn't too much different with anything lower than a 2600 maH battery.... or a 2600 that is run down a bit. Basically the two mode are the same. They would have been better setting it up like an 800 or 900 lumen turbo high mode, then down to 620.

The other issue is the threads aren't lubed up enough, that's an easy fix. On one of them the light flickered a bit but that was just because the tail cap was a tad bit loose. The quality seems on par with Fenix which I also own, I mean they are nice looking and seem well built. I hope mine hold out. Light's I see the most complaints about are Nitecores. There is thread after thread on bad lights for those guys!