Need advice on EDC self-defense flashlight please

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesilverfox

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I've decided to get a flashlight for self defense purposes, but I don't know that much about it, but I know enough to know that small differences can have a big effect. It's going to be an EDC, so it has to be small and easy to carry, and the primary use is self defense, so I want it to be as effective at blinding/disorienting as possible while being easy enough to use that I will get the light mode I need when I need it even if I have a pulse of 190 and sweaty palms. I will be using this either alone or with a pen or something, but definitely no gun so attachment capability is not a concern. Also, I see some of them have strobe etc, is that something I want for self defense or is that more of a gimmick?

EDIT:
The smaller ones I was originally looked at are now out as I want something more substantial and have found that the size increase is not a problem.
So the new contenders are:

Nitecore P12GT
Olight M1X Striker

Thank you in advance

Last edited:

jeff400650

Newly Enlightened
Strobe is a huge benefit for self defense. It is impossible to look at without being very blinded, but you, at the other end of the flashlight can look at it with no problem. Just try it on yourself and you will be convinced. Just scrutinize the UI descriptions of any light you are considering, and make sure you can set it so that it comes on in strobe mode when you turn it on. You don't want to have to think about it and do triple clicks or press and hold or some other complex action to get to strobe.

Look at the "tactical" lines from manufacturers. I have the Olight Maverick M10 mounted on a handgun and set to come on in strobe at first activation, but it is not a dedicated weapon light, and would be a good EDC for your needs. The MT1C you mentioned is good too.
https://olightworld.com/store/specialty/every-day-carry/m10-maverick.html

Last edited:

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Olight M1X Striker has access to turbo and strobe from the tail switch.

Fa Tre

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a Nitecore SRT3 for my wife. I like that it's CR123/AA compatible and has a pretty simple UI.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I dont really have this need but if it was me I would pick up an olight m18 or m1x. Both light compact well made, single button operation for max or strobe. Spikey and quite cheap I find.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't care about strobe. Personally, I think it would work well, but it is not part of my SD plan. I want quick easy access high. Bezels are nice, but I don't want to ever let it resort to that. I prefer to carry a Surefire E2D or E1D. They work well for me.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix PD35 TAC. Quick double click in TAC mode and the strobe is devastating. Having the option to switch to outdoor mode with all the other modes is awesome...great EDC size as well. A bit shorter than the regular PD35 as well...

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything that's bright really, cooler side of the spectrum preferred. Good for dogs or animals. Pepper spray in all other situations.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
I second the Nitecore SRT3. Great edc, tailcap switch (a must for "tactical" use), pre-selection of mode even before you turn the light on, afjustable size (depending on the battery you want to use), long runtime on firefly mode. It's built very well too.

It's been 2-3 years since I've had this light. Never failed me and still one of my favorites.

thesilverfox

Newly Enlightened
Ok so it seems theres a good online shop that delivers to where I live, so now the options have expanded. I sent them a mail and they actually recommended the Olight M1X Striker. I've seen the P10 on the nitecore site and it looks good, but the site I'm gonna buy from doesnt have it. They do have the P12GT though and the P12 2015 edition. How do these compare?

Is light concentration a big thin? Because looking at the various types, the P12GT seems really good there.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

I've decided to get a flashlight for self defense purposes, but I don't know that much about it, but I know enough to know that small differences can have a big effect. It's going to be an EDC, so it has to be small and easy to carry, and the primary use is self defense, so I want it to be as effective at blinding/disorienting as possible while being easy enough to use that I will get the light mode I need when I need it even if I have a pulse of 190 and sweaty palms. I will be using this either alone or with a pen or something, but definitely no gun so attachment capability is not a concern. Also, I see some of them have strobe etc, is that something I want for self defense or is that more of a gimmick?

The ones that look most interesting from those available in my area are:
Nitecore MT1C
Klarus - XT1C
Fenix - PD20

Don't know if we're dancing along the spirit of the rules, but for me, a defensive light:
1. Is used to shine into parking lights and alleyways to avoid problems in the first place. Just need to be bright enough to light up the area you care about
2. Is used in conjunction w/ a firearm, to positively find and ID badguy and (if you're lucky) momentarily vision impair. Not going to write a tutorial, but for me, the simple requirements are: forward tailcap momentary (momentary-clicky ok) a must, I must have a way to guarantee it will always come on in high (most important -- not strobe) or strobe, and pushing the button multiple times must NOT change modes/outputs, but just flash as momentary for high
3. Might be used without a firearm. In which case, ID badguy and if you're lucky momentarily vision impair -- you cannot rely on vision impairment, either with a strobe or high, never rely on that. But it can give you a brief moment to close the distance or flee. Requirements here are forward momentary non-mode-changing switch that I can set to always start on high or strobe, and long enough to stick out from my hand.

For me, something like the Klarus XT2C (not 1C) meets all of these nicely. My next light will probably be ET DX30LC2-R, which has a significant bump UP in beam intensity, but no quick access to strobe (In training, I don't think strobe is a critical advantage that overcomes the ET's other advantages in beam intensity, easy rechargeability, etc)

elzetta56

Newly Enlightened
to me self-defense means life or death, if that's the case then I would look at Elzetta bravo or charlie with crenelated bezel

it costs more than those chinese lights you reference but in life or death, money doesnt matter at that moment and I have no doubt elzetta is superior in everyway
Hello,

The ones that look most interesting from those available in my area are:
Nitecore MT1C
Klarus - XT1C
Fenix - PD20

If their quality can justify the higher price these are also alternatives:
JETBeam RRT-0 R2
JETBeam RRT-0 R5

Thank you in advance

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strobe is not for me. Strobe might be alright for messing with drunk tourists, but I would not use it for anyone potentially dangerous. I want to see the persons hands, what they are doing with them, whether they have a weapon or are reaching for one and if they have a accomplice ready to blind side me. A flashlight should also facilitate quick and accurate visual situational awareness so you can avoid getting into trouble– for me, a strobe is not as suitable for this as a simple bright light.

I think a self defense light should simple and as close to fool proof as possible with a good momentary on function without a bunch of extraneous modes.....you don't want to get some sub lumen moon mode or start flashing SOS when you need your brightest mode.

For a good value/entry level CR123 light for self defense, I would take a look at the Surefire G2X with the tactical/momentary switch and the Maglite Mag Tac.

elzetta56

Newly Enlightened
i have that surefire, great light AND GREAT ADVICE

Strobe is not for me. Strobe might be alright for messing with drunk tourists, but I would not use it for anyone potentially dangerous. I want to see the persons hands, what they are doing with them, whether they have a weapon or are reaching for one and if they have a accomplice ready to blind side me. A flashlight should also facilitate quick and accurate visual situational awareness so you can avoid getting into trouble– for me, a strobe is not as suitable for this as a simple bright light.

I think a self defense light should simple and as close to fool proof as possible with a good momentary on function without a bunch of extraneous modes.....you don't want to get some sub lumen moon mode or start flashing SOS when you need your brightest mode.

For a good value/entry level CR123 light for self defense, I would take a look at the Surefire G2X with the tactical/momentary switch and the Maglite Mag Tac.

thesilverfox

Newly Enlightened
Ok, lots of great advice here. I see what you guys mean about simple bright light being preferable to strobe in some ways. For those talking about guns, I wish I could but unfortunately I live in Norway and while we have like the highest gun-per-person ratio in europe, using a firearm for self-defense is very much illegal. Carrying one gets you sent in jail and even in a legit situation of home defense, you'd probably have to go to court unless the person you shot had a gun. That's what makes me slightly hesitant about cranulated bezel lights, I don't think I could get in trouble if I was searched by cops and they found it, but if I was in a self-defense situation and smacked someone in the head with it, I think there's a fair chance I could get in trouble for that as they might argue that it's designed to inflict damage, and carrying it shows an intent to harm others or something like that. I'd rather go to jail than get killed of course, but legally it might be better to have a plain bezel and either smack them with that or carry a metal pen in the other pocket or something like that. How big is the difference between a cranulated bezel and a smooth bezel anyways, in terms of effectiveness as an impact weapon? And is there a big difference between the types of cranulated bezel? If we compare something with an almost jagged edge like the mean looking Olight M1X And something more subtle like a nitecore p10 or p12gt, is there much difference there?

But, I was in a shop today and looked around a bit, and while I didn't like any they had there as the diameter was too wide, I did get a chance to see the light output and try it in my pocket, and I find that 14 cm'ish (5.5 inches) works very well for me. In fact it was actually more comfortable and easier to handle than the shorter ones I'd originally looked at. So the mt1c and xt1c are now officially out of the running, and the two current frontunners are Olight m1x striker, and the nitecore p12gt. To me it seems like the bigger difference between them are the slight difference in agressiveness of the bezel and the spread of the lightcone, where m1x seems to be wider while the p12gt seems to be very narrow and concentrated. Any thoughts on which of those would be better of the two?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] How big is the difference between a cranulated bezel and a smooth bezel anyways, in terms of effectiveness as an impact weapon? And is there a big difference between the types of cranulated bezel? If we compare something with an almost jagged edge [...]
Sorry, but this being a flashlight forum, the above info isn't applicable or appropriate here.
The CPF archives may include /some/ of the information you're looking for in this regard; I would suggest a CPF-only Google search for more info. However, what you're looking for above isn't really applicable to what we're doing here. Please keep in mind that flashlights are not defensive tools despite the fact that they can on occasion fulfill that secondary role. The degree to which they can do that and the skillset necessary for doing this successfully ... you most likely will find more applicable information in a self-defense related internet discussion forum.

Last edited:

thesilverfox

Newly Enlightened
Sure ok. It's not a big deal for me anyways, just thought I'd ask since the subject of bezel choice came up.

Jida

Newly Enlightened
My 2 cents, strobe is not a good idea.

If you are being aggressive while breaching into a building as a team stays behind you then strobe might be your thing. If you are out walking around I don't see it as valuable while I do see momentary forward clicky as far superior.

With a strobe you are going to get an effect on you as well. It may not be the same level but it will effect you all the same. You also have to leave it on to have the effect which telegraphs where you are OR you are doing a flash and then turning it off. I have messed around with strobes on both ends and other than being mildly annoying they are not as effective as a simple burst of high lumens.

With a momentary on forward clicky you can target the face/eyes of an attacker, hit them for less then a second of light, force their eyes to constrict and then dilate and then in that time frame figure out what you are going to do (fight or flight). By doing a quick burst it does not telegraph where you are (you can change position) and the next burst will be just as effective as the first one. It is also going to be intuitive/quicker than trying to go to strobe if you do any level of mental prep with it.

You can test this easy enough if you have the lights. Just have someone turn on a strobe and you start to go at them (tell them to change position any way they like) and then after you give yourself ample recovery time, have them hit you with a burst and then change position. it might be different for different people but the burst tended to mess me up far more than a strobe which I got used to pretty quick and was able to close the distance on someone by charging the light source.

You still have the option of just turning the light on to keep someone blinded to you but be aware that if they are intent on doing you harm your best chance of avoiding all conflict is a short quick burst and then leaving the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.