Princeton Tec 40 -out of focus

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
I have a Tec 40 which was dropped and the bulb died. I replaced the bulb with the correct replacement, but now the beam is out of focus. It had a nice tight round beam with a good reach but now it is more like a fuzzy half moon. I have disassembled the light(easy) and everything seems ok. Could the reflector be out of round? (it doesn't appear to be) Where can I get a new reflector without sending the whole thing back to Princeton Tec- they might not even honor the warranty since the light does still work. What has happened to my Tec 40???

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
lingpau...check the filament posts of the replacement bulb that you put in your Tec 40 before spending money on a new reflector. If the filament posts are not straight up and down in the bulb housing, it will result in the type of beam you're describing. Could be you just need another bulb instead of a new reflector. Crooked filament posts result in a usually bad/ugly beam!

PJD

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Indeed! Check the bulb!

I have only had one REALLY crooked filament bulb, but even a slight crookedness is bad.

A slight problem can be cured by tweaking the flange on a PR base to align the filament. I was doing this WELL before I found CPF!

Also the whole bulb may need to be deeper into or further out of the reflector.(not an issue with a M*g of course)

My TEC 40 is perceptibly better once I played with the bulb enough.