MBI #7 - The MBI MatchBook, Got A Light anyone?

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yet another discussion that got out of hand quickly.... LOL.

The MBI MatchBook, is a weekend project I posted on my website (click on the link to read that post).

I'll add some photos if/when I have a moment here directly but as this is gaining some fast traction, I thought it best to dedicate a thread to it, so we can all best keep track of progress.

I moved some relevant posts (especially the I want one posts) from the "Thing" thread to this thread.

Here's my original post from the "Thing" thread.
Will add some photos but you can see some if you click the link below.

Whilst on the subject of "things".....

In my spare time (a few seconds every other day :D) I have been working on as much as I can, at least things within my direct control.
One of those, was eventually bringing the MBI MatchBook to life.

There were some slight details that needed research to solve (My proto's used black markers for coloring which is not ultra-durable, magnets at the base needed securing, the matches cost ~$4each) and like most things, a spontaneous thought in the middle of the night (partly triggered by my working on "things") and I saw the light. I went ahead and ordered all the ingredients and found a way to make it all work (and look just the way I want) even without having to commit to a massive quantity.

I have enough inbound to make a handfull (or two) of sets (based on 8 matches a book).
That's all due in the next 7 days and I'll be very happy to post photos as soon as they are ready.

Tgwnn

Last edited:

Zandar

Enlightened
MBI - MatchBook, Got A Light anyone?

O K, I'm going first here again. Please put me down for the MBI, Magically Built MatchBook!!!!

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MBI: "Thing" - My newest, top secret "the product with no name"

Hi Glenn7,

For now, just posting "I'm in" in this thread is enough.

I'll likely have to limit the number on offer... unless I'm just so excited and impatient, that I decide to launch Thing-O (and maybe Thing-E) on IndieGogo directly, even before Thing-Ultimate is finished. (If I do so, the shipping time will be much faster than a typical campaign). A lot going on right now, in addition to my usual busy schedule.
Thinking out loud (as I type) somewhat...
The sensible thing to do might be to wait until I have Thing-Ultimate machined samples in hand and launch them all in one shot (if it were a CF / IndieGogo campaign that is).
Launching even the most modest of CF campaigns requires a fair amount of preparation if it's to be done well and I prefer to do things well.

I do also want to share Things with everyone sooner rather than later....
The main difference is a beta-thing run, will be a total lucky dip kind of scenario, as I won't announce what a thing is, you'll just have to wait and see what's in the post, but I can guarantee everyone will find use for their things.

Tgwnn

Ok you win "I'm in"

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

Trust me when I say that these matchbox matchbooks are an absolute must have.

LedTed

Enlightened

Whilst on the subject of "things".....

In my spare time (a few seconds every other day :D) I have been working on as much as I can, at least things within my direct control.
One of those, was eventually bringing the MBI MatchBook to life.
(EDITED)
Tgwnn

Cute, I used to make may own to put in miniature pumpkin decorations.

IIRC, another CPF member made one to keep in his wallet.

NowIC

Enlightened

I definitely want a matchbook or two. What a great item to have on hand to give away as a gift.

JJKTWO

Newly Enlightened

In also, I love anything Match but the books rock.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll probably do a matchbook too

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, thanks so much for the interest.

O K, I'm going first here again. Please put me down for the MBI, Magically Built MatchBook!!!!
Zandar,
YOU are on a roll! No idea how you manage to post so quickly but congrats and thanks :thumbsup:

Count me in! Very cool idea : )
Thanks Thud :)

Ok you win "I'm in"
Glenn7, the MBI way is that we all win, and thank you too ;)

Of course I'm in!
th8tredude,
Absolutely!! :D

Trust me when I say that these matchbox matchbooks are an absolute must have.
Thanks Alex,
btw, any missions headed this way?

Cute, I used to make may own to put in miniature pumpkin decorations.

IIRC, another CPF member made one to keep in his wallet.
Thanks LedTed ;)

I'm in for thing!
Hi transultimate,

Thank you too!!

YES,
I need a couple matchbooks
Uriah.... :D
With pleasure ;)

I definitely want a matchbook or two. What a great item to have on hand to give away as a gift.
Thanks NowIC,
Gotta say I just stuck these in my wallet way back when. Sometimes, usually I forget I even have them, but I've used them in non-critical emergencies... like when my HF-R found it's way off of my keychain, and I was in the car, these did the trick.
Not massively bright, but easily enough to see with (or be seen). If only Hansel and Gretel had a few of these!!

In also, I love anything Match but the books rock.

Thank you JJKTWO,
I love sending you anything Match :kiss::laughing:
Matchbook here too! :touche:
Thanks Str8stroke,
Welcome of course :)
I'm losing count now... Will get the first batch made up when everything is here and go from there.

I should mention that the plan is 7 Redheads, and 1 White. (for now only those two colors) in this first very very li'l test run.
After that, I can definitely offer more colors.

I'll probably do a matchbook too

Hi Tejasandre,

Thanks for posting and when your probably becomes a must, happy to oblige at that time.

Tgwnn

p.s. Wondering if I should move these MatchBook posts into a new thread? should I?

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast

A few little matchbooks for me. Perfect presents for the holidays. We need a modern day 'Matchi uri no Shoujo' desu ne?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

You know its tiny when he states, "tweak a couple of dimensions by about a hairs width". Lovely lovely!

Tgwnn, I don't want to derail anything on Things thread, but is there seriously a chance you will make enough Matchbooks that we could have a actually change getting one? It seems there is some serious interest. Of course, don't stop working on a Thing to jump on them. :)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

You know its tiny when he states, "tweak a couple of dimensions by about a hairs width". Lovely lovely!

Tgwnn, I don't want to derail anything on Things thread, but is there seriously a chance you will make enough Matchbooks that we could have a actually change getting one? It seems there is some serious interest. Of course, don't stop working on a Thing to jump on them. :)

Hi Str8stroke,

Thanks for the post and question.
Absolutely. I did some tests over the weekend and things worked out pretty great.
I've ordered a new material to test, it's due to land Thursday and in the worst case, it should be pretty darn good.
Once I confirm it, seeings there is more interest than I expected, I'll set up a new thread and order some more of everything ;)

Tgwnn

ChazHam

Newly Enlightened

Your attention to detail is remarkable. I'm in for a couple matchbooks. Would love to be in possession of such fine craftsmanship. Thank you.

Zandar

Enlightened

Thanks GUY, I'm really looking forward to this, perhaps you can toss a few matchbooks in with that "huge box" of MBI goodness you will be sending to my nephews! And yes let's have multiple color match sticks down the road