Zebralight SC5 v SC52

amspratt

Newly Enlightened
What do you think? Is it worth gaining weight and thickness in exchange for more lumens and better runtimes on the SC5, or is the svelt SC52's performance close enough to make it superior given the smaller size/price?

holygeez03

Enlightened
This has been argued to death in other forums... basically:

Do you plan to use 14500's? If not... get the SC5.

Unless every bit of size is that important to you... then get the SC52.

amspratt

Newly Enlightened
This has been argued to death in other forums... basically:

Do you plan to use 14500's? If not... get the SC5.

Unless every bit of size is that important to you... then get the SC52.

I don't plan to use 14500s (costly, dubious quality), but size is a pretty important consideration for me. I really don't like extra bulk if I don't need it.

holygeez03

Enlightened
If you have no interest in 14500's... then you are comparing 300 lumens to 500... which is a pretty decent jump. I also don't like the sharp edge on the 52's ring where the clip attaches.

If your uses have no need for the extra lumens, then you could consider the 52 for size purposes, but those lumens could come in handy.

Either way... I and a lot of people here will recommend that you get the "w" version... the tint/temp is usually very nice, especially on the SC5w. The SC52w tints have a reputation for being on the green side.

So I would definitely recommend the SC5w and a few Eneloops for you. And I would say to get a decent AAA light for those times when the SC5w is just too big.

Streak

Enlightened
I was wondering the same.
I had the SC51 then upgraded to the SC52w running on 14500's. That initial 500 lumen output is outstanding.
I keep a second 14500 charged and also nice knowing I can fall back on AA cell to tide me over if both 14500's are flat.
This light has been in my pocket for the last number of years.
Have been thinking hard about the SC5 but I don't think it's enough of an upgrade.
If I were to drop some more cash on a Zebra product it would be for the new SC63 or SC600.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the SC5w is better in almost every way, except size. I still use my SC52w as a pocket-light. It's just a little bit smaller, and everything helps in a 1xAA light. If size isn't critical, get the SC5w.

Vol

Newly Enlightened
I bought both. I kept the 52w and gave the sc5w to my Dad. The 52 seems so much smaller and is lighter especially with a 14500.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the better heat sinking, extra heft, knurling and 3 minute runtime on turbo provided by the SC5 vs the 52. The turbo on the SC52 is only one minute versus 3 for the SC5, so keep that in mind also. I prefer the safer and more stable chemistry of the Eneloop. I get the best of both worlds; 500 lumens for 3 minutes and a safer battery chemistry to use. It is a little heavier/chunkier and if that's a big deal or the ability to use 14500 is important then you may want the SC52.

Big_Sam

Newly Enlightened
I have both, the SC52w is my pocket edc. The SC5w lives in my coat pocket. The size and clip do not work well in my trouser pocket.

The SC5 is quite a bit brighter in real world use as the tint seems less warm and slightly more focused.

I keep going back to the SC52w, I prefer the size for indoor weight. The SC5 does drain eneloops fast, I find I am changing more often than SC52.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep going back to the SC52w, I prefer the size for indoor weight. The SC5 does drain eneloops fast, I find I am changing more often than SC52.

Yes, the SC5 does drain batteries fast. But, in all my tests and measurements, it is more efficient than the SC52 in every mode (testing modes with similar brightness).

The reason why it drains so fast, is that I normally use it with brighter modes than I do my SC52's.

For longer run-times, or outdoors (where I can't change batteries easily), I prefer 2xAA lights. (Or a 18650 light like the SC62.)

markr6

Flashaholic
Yes, the SC5 just allows you to drain it faster. I feel it's a much better buy. But after using it for a while then going back to the SC52, I really miss that small body :(

I wish the SC5 was just a bit smaller.

But if I could do it over, I never would have bought the SC52.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you think? Is it worth gaining weight and thickness in exchange for more lumens and better runtimes on the SC5, or is the svelt SC52's performance close enough to make it superior given the smaller size/price?

I bought both and kept the SC52w. The SC5 was just too large and heavy in my opinion.

amspratt

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the feedback! After lots of research and soul-searching I went with the SC52Fw. My priorities, in order, are 1)Size, 2)Efficiency, and 3)Brightness. I figure the brightness and efficiency on the 52 are plenty for my needs (I have an H600w and rarely even use the high mode, and when I do it's the 330 Lumen setting), and the smaller size is worth the sacrifice to me. Besides, if I really find myself jonesing for more lumens I'll just snag a 14500. I'm inclined to think the SC5 is the superior light, it's just not superior for me at the moment. I'll report back once the SC52 arrives.

holygeez03

Enlightened
I EDC a H52Fw... so just wanted to make sure you're aware that the frosted glass on the F lights will significantly reduce any throw... it will light up your immediate surroundings wonderfully... also, in my testing with my SC52w, I was able to get very similar diffusion with scotch tape, which would also be removable if you do want throw.

Not trying to second guess your decision... hopefully it works out perfectly for your needs... again, I carry my H52Fw and love it, especially as a work-light... but if I think I am going to need any distance, I bring my SC52w or SC62w if space allows.

amspratt

Newly Enlightened
I EDC a H52Fw... so just wanted to make sure you're aware that the frosted glass on the F lights will significantly reduce any throw... it will light up your immediate surroundings wonderfully... also, in my testing with my SC52w, I was able to get very similar diffusion with scotch tape, which would also be removable if you do want throw.

Not trying to second guess your decision... hopefully it works out perfectly for your needs... again, I carry my H52Fw and love it, especially as a work-light... but if I think I am going to need any distance, I bring my SC52w or SC62w if space allows.

That's a great point. I actually scotch taped my H600 and I liked the result so much that I haven't been tempted to remove the tape in over a year. That's why I went with the SC52Fw; I figure for an EDC light I'd rather have that beautiful diffused beam rather than a spot/spill.