Preping a TK75 for SHTF assistance

alternety

Newly Enlightened
My emergency light is a TK75. I want something that can make a lot of light for awhile, and a lower level of light, for a real long time.

The problem: everyday use as the light aside of the bed vs real SHTF use. I want to run the light in SHTF mode with balanced cells. I have 3 extra extension tubes for this condition. Next to the bed, it is sufficient to have one battery segment. So, the idea is that the normal configuration is 1 extension segment. If SHTF I want to go to 3 extensions. I don't want to just add 2 segments to the daily use single segment to avoid mismatched cells. I may never use the light in single extension form enough to unbalance the batteries. But, then again, I might. So; I plan for worst case.

Solution. ! extension tube for normal use and a different 3 tube extension for SHTF. The idea is to keep 3 battery packs in the the assembled three extensions until needed; then replace the everyday single extension. I would like to store the 3 battery packs in the extension tubes, so I can simply replace the everyday tube with the 3 tube configuration. This speeds things up and minimizes the issue of figuring out how to store individual loaded cell holders, and makes the change faster. Time may be of the essence.

The issue is keeping the batteries in the replacement 3 tube configuration. I can probably buy a tali cap (probably at a silly price) but I need something to screw on the front. Duct tape to hold in the batteries seems like the wrong approach.

Does anyone have any idea where I could get a male end piece (cap) to fit on the front (where the light will screw on) to contain the batteries in storage. I would put some insulation in the inside of this front piece to keep the top of the cell stack from shorting to the case (which I would view as a bad thing).

Perhaps some of you guys that make lights out of chicken manure, some wire, and mysterious metal pieces could point me at something that would fill the bill.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP seem to be over thinking this a bit. Having the 3 extension set ready to go is indeed a good idea. As for keeping the cells balanced what cells are you using brand/mah? I would find a solid piece of foam if I were you and cut it to fit the front of your 3 tube set up that fits nice and snug should keep them in place and leave no debris should you need to quickly take it out and go to work. As for keeping the cells as balanced as possible I would buy 3 or 4 Xtar VC4 chargers. They are pretty accurate. As for cells the new 3500mah 10 amp Keeppower/Orbtronic hold their charge very well.

alternety

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps "balanced" was the wrong word. I am just shooting for keeping the usage the same on all the cells. The ones in the light will see some charge cycles from use. The three packs in the standby set will only be used as a group.

I have the cells and chargers.

The spare tubes have a piece of foam inserted in the end that would probably server the purpose. They hold the empty cell holders in place for shipping. I was intending to use one inside the threaded end piece for insulation. I will see how a couple of them work. But I would prefer to avoid the possible damage from unthinking dumb when I reach and grab the set. Or if someone else should pick it up without proper knowledge. Given its' purpose, I want something as fool proof as I can. I will supply the fools. I think about points of failure.

I really would like to fine something with matching male threads for the front.