TM16 vs TK75 vs TM36 vs HID spotlights

rhodesengr

Newly Enlightened
I am part of a group that is interested in night flying RC helicopters. Some guys I know back east have been using 9" HID spotlights from China on ebay. There have been reliability problems. I am looking for a reasonable alternative in an LED light. We are definitely more interested in spot lighting rather than flood lighting and we would typically have 3-5 guys spotlighting at the same time for one helicopter.

Anyway, I've watched a lot of videos on youtube looking at different lights. I am interested in the TM16 but wonder if it might have too much spill. The TK75 now has the same 4000 lumen rating but they do it with three LEDs rather than four in the TM16. So I figure they must be over driving the devices. The TM36 seems to have a much tighter beam but is much more expensive for half the lumen output. Even with the videos its hard to decide what to get.

I am also interested in trying to compare the LED lights to the HID lights so any input on that would be appreciated.
Here is a video of this form of craziness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhCztNFBgXc

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the TK75, TM36 and a "few" HID lights. I don't own the TM16.

The TK75 rated at 4000 lumens is now using 4 leds. The first and second generation TK75 used three.

The TM36 drivel off of the NBP-52 battery pack will run on 1200 lumen mode for quite a while and stay cool.

The HID lights, well, unless you purchase something like a Polarion, Deft X, or a Chinese hand held light are going to be stuck with a separate battery pack, which is both good and bad. The good is fast battery swaps, and it lightens to load. The bad is that batteries are $300 and up.
Also, the HID lights typically aren't bright as they produce throw using expensive reflectors. The light will have a very narrow beam, which after looking at the video, I doubt you'd be able to keep on target.

One light that comes to mind for your flight mode would be the Surefire Hellfighter. It's crazy bright and with the detached battery puts out a wall of light. It ain't cheap, but it's built like tank.

It appears that the furthest that you are flying from the controller is under 200 yards. At the distances you're flying, a light like the Nitecore TM26 or possibly the TM16 would be better suited.

If you want more spot, Vinh54 that owns Skylumen here, mods the TK75, 3 led version to quite a bright beast.

rhodesengr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great reply. We have two styles of night flying, actually three: flood light flying, spot light flying and the third is putting colored LEDs on the heli and flying with no other light. At bigger events, we have rented generator powered flood lights: Tower style construction lights. That is not what we try to achieve for spot light flying. Yes it is hard to keep the beams on the heli but that is part of the "fun". So I am definitely looking for more of a spot with less spill.

I got the idea that the TK75 is more of a thrower than the TM16 but am not sure about that. I guess that is really what I am asking. If that is true, and the new version has four emitters, then perhaps we'd prefer the TK75 over the TM16.

The guys with the cheap ebay HID's like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191685330662?item=191685330662&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

use power supplies and not batteries. Most of us have Honda generators to run high power chargers for the large LiPo packs (two 6S 5000's in a typical heli) that go in the helicopters. So AC power is never a problem.

I am just trying to figure out if those HID lights are really better spot lights than something like a TK75.

rhodesengr

Newly Enlightened
For what you describe, under a 500', the TM16. More? A TM36 Lite. Enjoy.

I am just wondering if the TM16 might have too much spill. That is why I am asking here if the TK75 has less or more spill than the TM16. I could not find a youtube head to head comparison.

The modified TK75 looks like a very good option.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great reply. We have two styles of night flying, actually three: flood light flying, spot light flying and the third is putting colored LEDs on the heli and flying with no other light. At bigger events, we have rented generator powered flood lights: Tower style construction lights. That is not what we try to achieve for spot light flying. Yes it is hard to keep the beams on the heli but that is part of the "fun". So I am definitely looking for more of a spot with less spill.

I am just trying to figure out if those HID lights are really better spot lights than something like a TK75.

If you're determined to go for a HID spot type light, something along the lines of the Nighthunter 1, the Maxa Beam lights can be run from both the DC batteries as well as 120 v converted AC.

The 2900 lumen TK75 in stock form is a good light. The TK75vnKT is a great light. Close to 4000 lumens and much better throw than the stock version.

I don't own a 4000 lumen version of the TK75, but I do own both stock and modified versions of the LD75C. The LD75C as modified by Vinh, dedomed throws well and adds a three color LED, with red, green and blue. Each of the colors are only 200 lumens or so, but finding colored filters to place on a large piece of glass are going to be difficult and eat a lot of light.

ven

Flashaholic
If me, it would be out of the tk75vnQ at around 5000lm or the k60vn with a single xhp70 at near 5000lm. The latter is shaved dome(de-dome) and it gives a very nice tint, respectable throw of around 230kcd and plenty of spill. I kind of think its a perfect beamed tk75:) with a nice control ring UI

rhodesengr

Newly Enlightened
If you're determined to go for a HID spot type light,

actually its the opposite. I would much rather find an LED equivalent. But, I need to convince some other people that it is in fact equivlent. That is a little hard for cheap lights with no specs.

rhodesengr

Newly Enlightened
respectable throw of around 230kcd and plenty of spill.

Well just to be clear, we really don't want any spill. So a light with minimized spill would be better for us. We want a pure spot light effect. But we don't need a super tight focus because we don't get down range very far, certainly less than 100 meters. So the ideal beam would be minimal spill with a moderate divergence on the spot.

ven

Flashaholic
Right, I thought with you looking at the tk75 and tm16 you wanted spill as well as throw, if not I would rule those lights out full stop as they have lots of spill too.

Maybe the k40Lvn or sr52UT might suit better :)

Xaios

Newly Enlightened
Maybe a Fenix TK61 then? It's only 1000 lumens but is rated at 170kcd, so you get a bright hot spot, very little spill and lots of battery life even at the highest setting. Based on your video, I don't think it would be too difficult to keep track of your helicopter, but I'd recommend you watch some videos of the TK61 and make that determination for yourself.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
In another HID light, if you could find one, the MegaRay MR250. It could be aimed like a shotgun since it's outfitted with a shoulder stock.

The problem is the last one sold at auction went for $1k

I use my HID lights a bit at night following foxes and the occasional small bear. I can keep the light on the bears without problems. THe foxes because of their fast movements, is hard to keep the light centered on them.

I've tried with my NightHunter One, Nighthunter II and the Maxa Beam. The only way to keep them illuminated is to open the beam up to a spot around 5-6 feet.

The TK61, and the TM36 the spot is too small when closer than 50-75 yards. The TK75vnKT works well out to 300 yards or so, but at that point it's no longer a point of light, but a bright area.

Blind

Newly Enlightened
If you're going to have 3-5 guys with flashlights pointing to the UFO...

I would get something that gave the most throw for a great value. The TM36 is pricey being the "throw champion" and thus people willing to pay a premium for being the #1 throw light.

Hence: The Javelot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoNUM81gZl8

If you only had one guy pointing the flashlight I would be concerned because then the UFO might get lost. But with 3-5 beams, shouldn't be a problem.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well just to be clear, we really don't want any spill. So a light with minimized spill would be better for us. We want a pure spot light effect. But we don't need a super tight focus because we don't get down range very far, certainly less than 100 meters. So the ideal beam would be minimal spill with a moderate divergence on the spot.

This is easy get the M43vn with XPG2 PDTc with optics. You need a light with no spill.(Check) you need a light that does well to 100 meters(check) but not super focus(check). This light would be ideal for what you want. this light is pretty much a spotlight that does not give the tunnel vision effect.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?401615-M43vn-Best-of-2015

Last edited:

rhodesengr

Newly Enlightened
This is easy get the M43vn with XPG2 PDTc with optics. You need a light with no spill.(Check) you need a light that does well to 100 meters(check) but not super focus(check). This light would be ideal for what you want. this light is pretty much a spotlight that does not give the tunnel vision effect.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?401615-M43vn-Best-of-2015

well I took a look and I am not seeing it. Even the thrower version seems to have tons of spill. Flower pots in foreground are really bright. The center part might also be a little fat anyway. To me, it doesn't look very spotlight-ish. More like a flood/spot combo.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you are flying very low to the ground, beyond fifty or sixty feet spill isn't going to mean much. At that point a nice throw with a reasonable size hot spot would be just right for your needs. Try the TM16. A nice combination of throw, run time and price. If it doesn't work for you you can always sell it here or on Ebay. Wait a week or so until the after Thanksgiving selling season starts, and you should be able to get one for about one third off easily. Be advised that some of the larger lights like the TM16 will not take primaries, only rechargeables.

Let us know what you decide and how well it works. It will let us be better able to help the next person who asks.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
well I took a look and I am not seeing it. Even the thrower version seems to have tons of spill. Flower pots in foreground are really bright. The center part might also be a little fat anyway. To me, it doesn't look very spotlight-ish. More like a flood/spot combo.
Dang i think your being a bit to picky lol. Problem is every reflector light thats led will have tons of spill. Its just the way it is. Id say get an aspheric light but thoes are so focused its like a laser beam. I dont think iv ever seen an led flashlight with the kinda of beam your looking for. Hid might be the way to go then

Last edited:

Blind

Newly Enlightened
hmmm only 5 minutes at full power. That is not enough. Well one flights is about 5 minutes so we'd need to change batteries every flight.

Looking at the M43vn

Hmmm good catch :duh2:

Id look at the Olight SR52-UT then. Ven suggested it before.

This guy has some pretty good beam shot comparisons to the Javelot @ 4:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NClFA-NRMbM

Last edited: