Any flounder giggers out there, I am looking to make a new light

g8trwood

Newly Enlightened
And looking for options.

my current light uses an Oznium 20watt green 12v LED head, but it and the battery get heavy. Light is set up on a PVC handle resembling a metal detector setup so you sweep it back and forth under water while wading. I started thinking about my Malkoff dropins and was wondering if there are any cheaper heads I could try on a new light to drop the weight. I would be looking for a floodier pattern, warm white and 5-900 lumens. The light stays cool as it is under water. Thinking of powering it with C or D NiMh stick to get the runtime as it could fit into the back of the handle. 4-6 hours of runtime would be ideal. There are a number of commercial ones on the market, but not thrilled with the quality.

Thanks!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
We wait for hurricanes to suck out the water in the sound, then haul frieght out there, toss 'em in buckets and haul frieght back to shore before the wave hits...
Pretty fun stuff.

LedTed

Enlightened
Have you thought about putting flashlight(s) at the bottom of a periscope? That would save you from the air / water interface. The buoyancy would lighten your load. And the water would keep the light(s) cool.