Wuben        
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: #3 FOURSEVENS - New Preons P1 and P2!

Default Re: #3 FOURSEVENS - New Preons P1 and P2!

Quote Originally Posted by FLfrk View Post
    Interesting about the noise mentioned by wacbzz. I've had my Preon 2 for about a week now, and have used it plenty (I just changed the original batteries out today). I never noticed any whining from it. I did just stick it in my ear while it was on to see if I could hear anything, and could faintly hear a dull whining at the emitter end. The heat it produced was pretty impressive though, I must say.
    It was my six year old daughter that first noticed the noise. Before I took the photos, I took the light out of the package and gave it to her (she has one of the 219's and my wife has the other for work). Not ten minutes after she had it, she came back to me and said "Here. It's making a noise." Sure enough, it does on both high and low. Some folks are really sensitive to PWM but I am attuned to the (not so) subtle noises.

I really like the new design of P2 though. I find it to feel much better in the hand. Now, I'm just hoping Craig orders some of these with the 219 in it.

Flashaholic

I wonder if yours is louder than mine is. I'm definitely not hard of hearing, although maybe the higher pitch whining maybe I have worse ears for somehow. Listening again, it does seem a little louder now than the last time I listened. The low mode makes a higher pitched noise than the high mode, and those are the only two I use for the time being. Once I take the light more than 6-8 inches away from my ear, I can no longer hear anything in the silence of my room. I have used the light at work for about 4 or 5 hours already on both high and low, and never noticed it, or had anyone I was working with notice it either.

I do have a few lights that have a much louder whine, which tends to keep them out of my daily carrying rotation, but those lights I can noticeably hear if my arm is fully extended away from me.
    Last edited by FLfrk; 12-10-2015 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Typo
    I'd love to shed some light on that for you

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    The Preon is one of my favorite EDC lights. A few questions.

1. Why the horizontal grooves? Wouldn't vertical grooves like on the iTP/Olight 1XAAA twisty make for much better traction if twisting the bezel?

2. Is there still PWM not that I can see it on my Preon or 2 Mini lights.

Thanks.
    Wonder if anyone knows the answers. I am mobile so despite looking for any response might have missed it. These little screens are a pain at times.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

I remember reading that there is pwm.

Flashaholic

There is PWM, it hasn't been noticeable to me, but I'm not very sensitive to it. For me, the horizontal grooves are great for grip while using the light, as it would tend to slip out of a hand towards the front or rear. The grooves on the tailcap also make it perfect to grip as you pull it out of a pocket. As for the head, I don't use it as a twisty to turn on and off, but there is no difficulty in gripping and loosening/tightening it if you wanted to change modes that way.

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    I remember reading that there is pwm.
    That would be a bit of a bummer given all the current controlled options available. Still despite being sensitive to it I can't see the pwm in my minis or P1 so it's not a show stopper if it's the same frequency. I do hate lights that make sounds aka buzzing or whatever as can hear them load and clear and others saying its hardly noticeable means it will be very noticeable to me or at least that's been the case every time.

A&Q Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by FLfrk View Post
    There is PWM, it hasn't been noticeable to me, but I'm not very sensitive to it. For me, the horizontal grooves are great for grip while using the light, as it would tend to slip out of a hand towards the front or rear. The grooves on the tailcap also make it perfect to grip as you pull it out of a pocket. As for the head, I don't use it as a twisty to turn on and off, but there is no difficulty in gripping and loosening/tightening it if you wanted to change modes that way.
    Thanks. The total smooth surface of the P1 was really my only issue with it. Still in my EDC inventory as other pros compensate for that.

Flashaholic

The only place I'm seeing PWM listed is on the product page at foursevens under the "features" tab, but it doesn't give any additional info. I thought I recalled seeing it elsewhere, but that may have been selfbuilt's review of the original Preons.

I'm not seeing any sticky buttons. If it is then something is up or there a deliberate attempt to jam it. The metal button is indeed a metal cylinder moving up and down. Excess angle and force will jam it. I'm playing with a few here and I find no issues if you push down on the button rather force one of the edges. If someone has a problem contact cs@foursevens.com rather than post here.

PWM was deliberately chose to keep the driver as compact as possible. A boost circuit would definitely make the preon head bigger if not fatter. The pwm rate was chose as the best compromise between noticeability and efficiency. Too low and it's noticeable. Too high and you're taking an efficiency hit. This new preon really is the a progression of refinements over almost a decade.

Thanks for the response. Black Preon 1 ordered. My first Foursevens light!

Quote Originally Posted by 4sevens View Post
    I'm not seeing any sticky buttons. If it is then something is up or there a deliberate attempt to jam it. The metal button is indeed a metal cylinder moving up and down. Excess angle and force will jam it. I'm playing with a few here and I find no issues if you push down on the button rather force one of the edges. If someone has a problem contact cs@foursevens.com rather than post here.

PWM was deliberately chose to keep the driver as compact as possible. A boost circuit would definitely make the preon head bigger if not fatter. The pwm rate was chose as the best compromise between noticeability and efficiency. Too low and it's noticeable. Too high and you're taking an efficiency hit. This new preon really is the a progression of refinements over almost a decade.

Flashaholic

In my case, it must just be excessive angle due to bad thumb placement when turning on and off, or if my thumb moves to any side when the button is depressed. Over the course of a typical work day, I use the light 100+ times, and it happens a handful of times, definitely not intentionally.

Sorry if this is not the place for the posting. I don't have a problem with it, and I don't believe it's a defect of any kind. It was more of a critical observation.

I really like the axial micro cuts that David's team grooved into the light. For those that also like custom machined pens, it will remind one of the grooves on the Tactile Turn pens. Are there other flashlights that have done the axial micro cuts before?

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH FAN View Post
    I really like the axial micro cuts that David's team grooved into the light. For those that also like custom machined pens, it will remind one of the grooves on the Tactile Turn pens. Are there other flashlights that have done the axial micro cuts before?
    We've had axial cuts before and I'm sure others have but never with so extensively throughout the entire light

The axial micro cuts are very cool!
    In my humble opinion , you knocked this one out of the park. Having owned the first generation Preon 1 , I can say that this is definitely a better version all around.
    Now please make some Titanium versions lol!

The axial micro cuts are very cool!
    In my humble opinion , you knocked this one out of the park. Having owned the first generation Preon 1 , I can say that this is definitely a better version all around.
    Now please make some Titanium versions lol!
    thanks!

we'll talk ti in 2016

Sweet! Ti! I'm in.

+1 for Ti!!!!

David -

I love my titanium Preon 1. I do believe that you will have a ready market for all things titanium, especially here on CPF. Please do reconsider doing a run on a titanium version.
    We will definitely consider. At the right now. If you want to help it happen you can indirectly do that by purchasing the aluminum one and telling others about it. After enough sell we'll consider it.
    Help pave the way for titanium P 1&2's by purchasing the current offerings.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

we'll talk ti in 2016
    Hopefully, you'll talk NW long before Ti...

Flashaholic*

For me, Ti HiCRI with color temp in the neutral range.

I'm in for ti!! Also the micro grooves remind me of the Prometheus alpha. Beautifully done.

Received my black P1 yesterday and so far I really like it. For some reason I was thinking that it did not have memory and would always come on in low mode on setting 4, but it does have memory. Zero noise coming from mine on any mode and the clicky feels excellent. All around feels really well built and the clip and grooves in the body look and feel great. Very happy with the purchase.

My P1 is as quiet as a church mouse.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    My P1 is as quiet as a church mouse.

~ Chance
    So: not like it's owner then ....

(Sorry Chance, couldn't resist!)
    "...[they] Carry Torches And Pass Them One To Another" Socrates ~360 BCE

mckeand13's Brilliant Idea: CPF Members Map - Please Add Yourself?

I get mine in tomorrow can't wait to play!!

PREON CLASSIC VS PREON NEW
    LEDs straight on.

Tailcap and clip

LED head

Overall( the old Preon has a DIY clip on it)
    Got it this morning and so far so good. Dual mode right now.
    Last edited by recklesstryg; 12-14-2015 at 02:45 PM.

Post Re: #3 FOURSEVENS - New Preons P1 and P2!

Quote Originally Posted by Esko View Post
    A very interesting light. No information what so ever about the keychain attachment? (Except that there is a "split ring included").
    There is no word about keychain attachment point in the video or in this product announcement thread, no-one has commented the question that I made a month ago (above) and no-one has posted a picture of the light with the keychain attachment accessory. This all gives me an impression that this light is not meant to be carried in a keychain. Correct?
    In God we trust, all others bring data.

Quote Originally Posted by Esko View Post
    There is no word about keychain attachment point in the video or in this product announcement thread, no-one has commented the question that I made a month ago (above) and no-one has posted a picture of the light with the keychain attachment accessory. This all gives me an impression that this light is not meant to be carried in a keychain. Correct?
    Correct. There is no keychain attachment. Neither is there a twisty tailcap for the new Preon.

Shrug Re: #3 FOURSEVENS - New Preons P1 and P2!

Correct. There is no keychain attachment. Neither is there a twisty tailcap for the new Preon.
    Thank you for the answer. I must say that this is a bit disappointing. On the other hand, I am not sure if I would have wanted to carry a clicky in keychain anyway. The light looks very nice (both the looks and especially the specs) but I have quite a few Ti Preons and Atoms that are still unused and/or ungifted. If and when I buy my next AAA light, it should be something that I can and want to carry in a keychain (The ReVO that I carried more that 4,5 years suddenly stopped working some time ago - the new light should be equally as good as ReVO). Of course, the light looks so interesting that the Ti version, once it happens, might cause some paypal activity, too.. Looks like I seldom buy new lights any more. If I don't count those extra Preons and Nichia Atoms, I have only bought one truly new flashlight this year.
    In God we trust, all others bring data.

So, you're disappointed that a light doesn't have something you really don't want?

~ Chance

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast