Nitecore MH20 vs Niteye MS-R28

slbear

Newly Enlightened
Both available GB, and both single 18650 USB chargeable. This will be my 3rd 18650 light. First was a Goal Zero Bolt (still good, but not small and has that silly mini-USB whereas everything else I have is microUSB). Second was a ThruNite TH-10 CW, which I intend to take camping. Seems like not much throw and not sure I like the CW, but it's amazing after upgrading from my Petzl e+LITE.

I've always carried both a headlamp and a small "hand" flashlight when camping, and I want to use the same battery in both. I didn't have this much light or battery in the past, but I still want to have backup and redundancy when it comes to lights. I'm thinking I may also bring an 18650 based battery pack for charging the phone and steripen when needed.

I probably don't "need" the USB recharge capability for camping, but it might come in handy. Suffice to say I'm open to other suggestions in this same price range. Other factors important to me are small size and weight, and of course durability/reliability.

What do you guys think? Go with one of these GBs or pick something different?

Thanks,
Slbear

Last edited:

Short_Circuit

Newly Enlightened
Re: Nightcore MH20 vs Niteye MS-R28

I don't own a Niteye MS-R28 but I do own the MH20. Two things strike me right away when looking at the two different lights. The MH20 is smaller and it works off a single side operated clicky switch. Those two things alone would swing me to the MH 20 for camping. Let's face it you pack a lot of gear and carry a lot of stuff on a camping trip and size matters even an inch or two or in the gear you carry with you. Also, give me a tail cap clicky or a side clicky not both! I have a Sunwayman P25C that I love but I don't pick it up or use it as often as the MH20 primarily because of the two switch deal. One for on off and the other for mode switching.

The single side switch on the MH20 is sheer genius in its simplicity and usability. I also notice that the MH20 is waterproof to IPX-8 standard and the MS-R28 is only waterproof to IPX-6 standard, another factor in favor of the MH20 for me especially for camping. The MH20 also has the switchable "find me" blinking blue light for ease of location in darkness and it has the built in battery meter that tells you how much charge your battery has by unscrewing the tail cap and then tightening it back up or whenever you install a new/recharged battery.

I admit a certain bias toward the MH20 but think the factors I mention make it the best light for a camping situation. I think it would be the perfect camping light and it's cheaper than the R-28. Lot's of good deals right now on the MH20 as they can be had in the mid 50 dollar range or lower.

edit: Just noticed the MH20 also has a couple more modes on the light than the R28. The MH20 not only has the strobe but also an SOS mode and for campers especially the aircraft Beacon mode is a big plus. In beacon mode I think the thing can last a week or so. Could be real handy along with the SOS mode if you get lost or injured out in the boonies.

Last edited:

slbear

Newly Enlightened
Re: Nitecore MH20 vs Niteye MS-R28 vs Nitecore P12 vs ThruNite TN12-2016 (NW)

Thanks Short Circuit. Size and weight are important to me - almost to where I think I should maybe not need a second light source - but I'm too much of a boy scout when it comes to lights, knives and fire, and I need to carry a backup. The higher waterproof rating would also sway me if all else was equal. I haven't tried a two switch light, but can see your point.

Does anyone know the comparable beam throw and color? I'll add that I was also looking at the Nitecore P12 (2015) and ThruNite TN12-2016 (NW) as options, which are both less than $50 on Amazon, before stumbling on the GB subforum with these two USB rechargeables front and center. I want something that will compliment the ThruNite TH-10 CW headlamp I have, if for no other reason than to get some experience with different style lights.

Thanks again for the feedback,
Slbear

Short_Circuit

Newly Enlightened

I can't help with the comparable beam throw, I think I can say with confidence the MH20 would be suitable for your stated use it has quite a wide flood of beam and yet also "throws" a good distance. It doesn't really have a discernible spot either so the area of beam coverage is very even from near flood to it's farthest reach.

As to color the light now comes in both neutral and cool, neutral being 4500k and cool being 6000k. I have the cool one and I like that there is no blue or purple tint to it at all just clear white light. You might try searching on youtube for videos of the various flashlights that demonstrate the different features and show beam shots etc. Take some with a grain of salt, some of those reviewers know more about flashlights than they do about videography and your screen resolution also comes into play but they're useful still for comparison purposes and most of the better known lights and even many of the cheapies are reviewed on YT. Just put the name of the light you want in the search bar and let YT do the rest.

I may sound like a salesman for Nitecore but I'm not lol, I only have one Nitecore light among several others of different brands, the MH20 is definitely my most favored light and the one most useful and versatile of all the rest. It's a lot of light with many features in a very small package.

FYI there is a special offering being made for a discount price on the MH20 right here on cpf, check out this thread here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?411467-Nitecore-MH-20-another-killer-deal

Last edited:

slbear

Newly Enlightened

jeff400650

Newly Enlightened

I bought the cool white one at regular price on Amazon and really like it. I ordered a neutral one too from the group buy offer. The cw is as short circuit says...not too cool, and has a good, penetrating hot spot, but wide spill too. A pretty ideal multi-purpose beam pattern. Feels good in the hand. My most similar light is the Zebralight SC62w, which I love (if one can love a flashlight). It has a little less lumens, more flood, nice sunny tint. My only little issue with the MH20 is getting used to the interface. I am very dialed into the Zebralight, and the MH20 is similar in some ways, but different in others, and I keep making mistakes and getting a different intensity than I want. Some moves require a quick press, while others take a long press... I'll get used to it. You can't beat it at the group buy price. This is my first time participating in a group buy. I hope It is all on the up and up. Won't know until the light is in my hand...

slbear

Newly Enlightened
MH20 vs MS-R28 vs Nitecore P12 vs ThruNite TN12-2016 (NW) vs JETBeam KO-01

Adding one more to my list of candidates. the JETBeam KO-01 just came up on Massdrop. All in the relatively same price range with Group Buy, Amazon or Massdrop. Still looking for any feedback on the one that will be a really good thrower and warmer tint to compliment my ThruNite TH-10 CW. I know there are reasons to buy a few of these, but I need to start somewhere.

Thanks,
Slbear

jeff400650

Newly Enlightened
Re: MH20 vs MS-R28 vs Nitecore P12 vs ThruNite TN12-2016 (NW) vs JETBeam KO-01

Another note... I did not know if the rechargeable feature would matter to me that much, but I find that I am really liking it. It is good piece of mind to know that you can just plug it into anything, anywhere for a quick top off. I do a lot of motorcycle touring/camping. It will be great for that. An Olight S10 for a cap light around camp, and the MH20 for hiking and longer range scanning.