Olight S1. Is it a good EDC light? Also an ON/OFF question about this light.

hassiman

Newly Enlightened
Is the Olight S1 a good EDC for dog walking etc? Well Built?

Also, when using this light can I turn it on and off for short periods of time by slightly depressing the power button or must the power button be clicked on and then clicked off?

Thanks.

Frank108

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I've been EDCing the S1 for a few weeks.
Love this little light.

My needs are fairly simple: bright, light (physically) and takes up little pocket volume.

The light has discrete states. It does save the last used primary state. Brief clicks will turn the light on and off at its last primary state.

States
Moonlight
Primary: Low, Medium and High
Turbo
Strobe

YahFargo

Newly Enlightened
I also have and love the S1. It's a perfect EDC. If you're going to be using the high mode for dog walking for say 30 minutes, the light would be dead after 2 walks if you're using a rechargeable. If you can get by with the 80 lumen medium mode it'll last much longer and is not a concern.

It sounds like you're describing a momentary on/off mode where if you hold down a half press the light will be on and once you let go will turn off. The S1 does not function like that. Its a full click either on or off until you do another full click. Hope this helps

hassiman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I have been using a surefire E2D Ultra... but it's too big and I either get 500 or 5 lumen output..... In Most cases 80 should be fine....
How bright is the output in strobe mode... and how long will it last?

Wet

Newly Enlightened
How bright is the output in strobe mode... and how long will it last?
The strobe mode looks about as bright as the high mode which would be 500 lumens. It's a 10 Hz strobe.

I suppose a rechargeable li-ion cell would last for:

• Less than an hour in strobe mode.
  • High mode 30 min - 1 hour.
  • Medium 80 lumen mode 3-4 hours.
  • Low 8 lumen mode 1 day.
  • In 0.5 lumen moonlight mode a li-ion cell lasted about 3 days.

Some have forgotten the S1 in washing machine, and I went swimming with it, so it definitely seems to be waterproof! However the beam pattern looks weird underwater since water has different refractive index than air and the TIR lens design of S1 relies on the light being usually operated in some gas like air. The pocket clip is tight and difficult to clip on belt but you're also much less likely to lose the light from your belt accidentally. As YahFargo said, the light indeed has to be clicked first on, and then clicked again for off, so there is no momentary on function.

Last edited:

RGRAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love this flashlight.
I bought 9.
7black (wife, 3cars, 2friends and for me black, titanium and raw copper.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent edc.

And it needs to click, no momentary

xyadam

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion the Olight S1 Baton is one of the best EDC flashlight on the market currently. I love it's versitality, the magnetic tailcap, the reversible pocket clip, and the tail-stand options. Also the memory function is great, and you can the direct access lowest and highest modes even when the flashlight is turned off.
The 500 Lumens output is no joke, I used it several times while walking to my car in the parking lot, and I saw some funny reactions after they saw what I was holding in my hand. It reminds me of the "Noisy Cricket" from the Men in Black movie.
Also, huge props for the TIR optic, it is the best beam profile which I have ever seen!

I did a review about this flashlight with some indoor and outdoor beamshots, maybe it can convince you how awesome it is :)

kh2456

Newly Enlightened
I just recently purchased the S1 Baton and can't express how much I love it. I EDC it everyday and the flashlight has so many uses. I also use it as a head lamp because of its clip I can clip it to my hat when I go on runs when I run on dark streets. The magnetic tail cap, the 500 lumens turbo, the option to hold and engage moonlight. 10/10 EDC light.

xyadam

Newly Enlightened
Anyone purchasing the new copper S1? I am planning to purchase a rose gold one for my girlfriend (for Christmas), but price is quite high.
I wonder if it ever goes under 45 dollars in the near future... I purchased my standard S1 for 26 USD, but dunno if it's worth the wait, Christmas is coming very quickly :D

cubebike

Enlightened
I bought the rose gold and (natural) copper versions recently. I am EDC ing the copper version for the whole week in order to add characters/patina to it. I love the copper version to the rose gold, cos the copper version is made of raw copper and will age with time. You won't regret for either versions, the weight, materials, design and size just feel so nice. Don't forget the Ti version as well, it is also highly recommended.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm loving mine. I have the Ti version and the tint on it is outstanding. I enjoy having a light this small and this bright for EDC. The ti version doesn't have quite the same interface, but that is discussed in another thread. I'll probably go ahead and order the blasted ti, a rose colored (coated) copper, and the 'original' aluminum. Props to Olight for making this little wonder - I had not considered an Olight for around 6 years until this little light came along.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, too, think the S1 is a home run, fantastic EDC. Per other responses, OP asked about momentary mode, and there is no momentary capability. Whether or not it would be a great dog-walking light would depend, I suppose, on how you use your light when dog-walking. As a "just set it on medium most of the time, and once in a while flash to hi" light, seems like a fine choice

xyadam

Newly Enlightened
What battery are you guys using in your Olight S1? I heared some feedback that the battery life was not as good as expected. I have been using my Nitecore RCR123 (650 mAh) and I don't notice these weak runtimes. I also have some Olight RCR123 incoming, just to see how it compares with the Nitecore.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the tint on the neutral offerings? I don't think I have read a comment on that yet. Thanks!

Minimoog

Enlightened
I have the Olight i1 Eos - is this an update or a complete new light?

moses

Enlightened
For funtionality, wouldn't the pure copper be best for heat transfer so that the LED doesn't get warmer than it needs to? Copper is an incredible heat conductor.

Does the extra weight feel like a lot when EDC?

And anyone know if they are coming out with a high CRI?

Thanks

Danielsan

Enlightened
I wouldnt recommend that light because it lacks a low voltage indicator which is needed even more on a low capacity light like that. Somewhere i read that this light cant take certain protected cells which would make it almost unusable and dangerous. I guess that light was designed for the american market with their cheap CR123 throw away non rechargebale cells. For EDC use i would always use a protected cell and a light with low voltage warning and maybe even with a voltage indicator. The design and the material offering is great