Sky Lumen        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fat bikes

Flashaholic*

Smile Fat bikes

Does any one else here ride a fat bike? I have a Minnesota Framed 2.0 black/green, that I have customized a bit.
    I LOVE riding my fat bike. I haven't had this much fun riding a bike, since I was a kid. I bought this bike in June of this year. It is meant to ride all year long! I am looking forward to riding it in the snow.

Default Re: Fat bikes

Very nice i dont own but most certainly want one at some point. Been weighing them up for a few months now and look good fun

I love me some bikes. I have a few cheapos for that rough neighborhood terrain.

Fat tires + snow = mud in your face & on your back! lol Get you some motorcycle fenders for that beast?
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

The windows at the custom bike shop in town are full of those. I'm not up on current tech, but they look great for rough terrain and the curbs and potholes around town. Are these made suspended like the last generation of mountain bikes I knew about? Or are they rigid, with the tires doing the suspension work? Looking cool either way...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    The windows at the custom bike shop in town are full of those. I'm not up on current tech, but they look great for rough terrain and the curbs and potholes around town. Are these made suspended like the last generation of mountain bikes I knew about? Or are they rigid, with the tires doing the suspension work? Looking cool either way...

Fat Tires are almost exclusively hard tails. You're riding on close to 4 inches of rubber. There were a few downhillers' riding fat tire bikes fully suspended. But those riders weigh 140 pounds or less.

Some of the first fat tire bikes were beach cruzers converted with the nobbies.

They are slow to ride on roads as the acceleration of 4 pounds of tire and wheel takes some power. The other thing to pay attention to is wheel dish. I don't know if the bike pictured is using mountain bike 135mm spacing or went to 145mm used on tandems. The other issue is the chain geometries is really strange.

If looking for a on road general purpose bike, look at one of the 29 inchers. Basically a 700C wheel with fatter tires.

I've got a Vicious Cycles fat tire fork on my cyclocross bike for the disc brakes tabs.

The 20" bmx version are fun to ride in drainage ditches and the dried out upper ends of sediment basins.
    Lotta work to keep 'em moving though.

And spilling don't hurt anywhere near as bad as falling on things shaped like them but made of concrete.
    John 3:16

I've got a Specialized FatBoy SE and I like it very much. I don't have a pic of my own, but it looks like this:

Like TKC said, it's the most fun I've ever had riding a bike, just like when I was a kid. And they are slow to ride on roads and any flat surface. Lots of rolling resistance and large knobby tires feel like a bicycle version of a mudder truck. Loud humming and vibration on flat surfaces. All that said, it's so cool! You can ride it on any terrain with no worries.

Well worth getting one.
    "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Not Fat Bikes, but in the window of my shop in town... Big tire stuff was inside.

Some old school style there! Classic.

Was wondering what kind of looks I'd get riding the Velocipede-style big front wheel one through town... Front and rear brakes, ready to go! Stay away from uphills, though...

LOOK DAD, IT'S PEE WEE HERMANS BIKE!!!

They're something that hasn't really taken off in Aus. but we don't really have the kind of condition's where they are very useful. Snow seasons here tend to be only about 3-4 months, and then only in southern NSW, Victoria and Tasmania. And that tends to be in resorts etc. You do see the odd one in a bike shop, and I guess a few like them, but MTB's of all genre's tend to be dominant for offroad cycling here. It looks to be a pretty laid back, enjoyable style of ride though. I imagine tyre pressures would be pretty low, 5-10psi maybe?? Good for muddy going.
    The green/black of the OP's bike looks really smart !!
    Last edited by harro; 12-05-2015 at 04:42 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by harro View Post
    They're something that hasn't really taken off in Aus. but we don't really have the kind of condition's where they are very useful. Snow seasons here tend to be only about 3-4 months, and then only in southern NSW, Victoria and Tasmania. And that tends to be in resorts etc. You do see the odd one in a bike shop, and I guess a few like them, but MTB's of all genre's tend to be dominant for offroad cycling here. It looks to be a pretty laid back, enjoyable style of ride though. I imagine tyre pressures would be pretty low, 5-10psi maybe?? Good for muddy going.
    The green/black of the OP's bike looks really smart !!
    Thank you for the compliments on my bike. I LOVE it. You don't have to have snow to ride these bad boys, you can ride these bikes any where you want! They ARE meant to be ridden on the beach as well. Yes, the tire pressures are low on these; mine run at 7 1/2 psi. I customized my bike a a little, it does come in black/green, but I added some green bits to it.

I'm an older guy used to riding recumbents & took out a demo fat bike when they were fixing my delta trike. I'm too used to the comfortable seat. The fat bike would go places you could barely walk though. It was an experience.

Hi TKC,
    Just a trivial point that may, or may not be interesting. Looking closer at your excellent bike, one thing became apparent to me. Our NANNY STATE GOVERNMENT some five decades ago, decreed that normal everyday Aussie citizens could not handle a bike with front brake on the left side and rear brake on the right side of the handlebars ( as you sit on the bike ) . I know we drive/ride on the left side of any given carriageway, and to the govt of the day, it was decided that in a panic situation, the average Aussie would grab a big handful of front brake and thus cause said Aussie to complete massive endo over handlebars. So, ever since, we now have bikes with front brakes on RH and rear on LH side of bars. Mind you, back then, old calliper brakes would have had a hard time stopping a rampaging fieldmouse with a towrope around its neck.

see here DSC00231.jpg DSC00232.jpg

( Note; on the roadbike, the brake cables exit the bars just near the headstem, the cables coming from the levers are the gearshift cables, Shimano STI system )
    Last edited by harro; 01-02-2016 at 05:14 PM.

Ha! That is pretty interesting. Nevermind the fact that roughly 90% of humans are right handed and are likely to favor the lever on the right, which would tell me the back brake ought to be on the right! Plus, anyone not from Australia who visits is going to be in for a surprise if they rent a bicycle. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Ha! That is pretty interesting. Nevermind the fact that roughly 90% of humans are right handed and are likely to favor the lever on the right, which would tell me the back brake ought to be on the right! Plus, anyone not from Australia who visits is going to be in for a surprise if they rent a bicycle. LOL
    We ' plebs ' are incapable of logical, commonsence thought process'........

Good thing someone is looking out for you.

fatbikes are nice. but very few full suspension ones. no reason to shift to them from my electric

I have a charge maxi 2 and I love it, I'm on my phone so I can't upload a picture but here's the link http://www.chargebikes.com/cooker-maxi-2/

Quote Originally Posted by harro View Post
    Hi TKC,
    Just a trivial point that may, or may not be interesting. Looking closer at your excellent bike, one thing became apparent to me. Our NANNY STATE GOVERNMENT some five decades ago, decreed that normal everyday Aussie citizens could not handle a bike with front brake on the left side and rear brake on the right side of the handlebars ( as you sit on the bike ) . I know we drive/ride on the left side of any given carriageway, and to the govt of the day, it was decided that in a panic situation, the average Aussie would grab a big handful of front brake and thus cause said Aussie to complete massive endo over handlebars. So, ever since, we now have bikes with front brakes on RH and rear on LH side of bars. Mind you, back then, old calliper brakes would have had a hard time stopping a rampaging fieldmouse with a towrope around its neck.

see here DSC00231.jpg DSC00232.jpg

( Note; on the roadbike, the brake cables exit the bars just near the headstem, the cables coming from the levers are the gearshift cables, Shimano STI system )
    We have that whole Nanny State thing going too.

I try not to complain about the US Nanny State situation.
    I'd rather complain about the morons who keep re-electing them.

It seems the front brake is nearly always way too grippy on many bicycles. I dial them to assist the rear brakes on kids bikes or just remove them entirely.

Since this thread began I've more fat bikes on the rooves (is that a word?) of cars and less road/trail bikes as I travel the Interstate.
    They seem to really be catching on over here.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-08-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by socom1970 View Post
    I've got a Specialized FatBoy SE and I like it very much. I don't have a pic of my own, but it looks like this:

Like TKC said, it's the most fun I've ever had riding a bike, just like when I was a kid. And they are slow to ride on roads and any flat surface. Lots of rolling resistance and large knobby tires feel like a bicycle version of a mudder truck. Loud humming and vibration on flat surfaces. All that said, it's so cool! You can ride it on any terrain with no worries.

Well worth getting one.

That is a great looking bike!!

I was passed up by 2 fat bikes today if that counts for anything. They are getting more popular here. I saw a kid on the trail about 2 months ago & he had two fat tires on the front of his bike, about 3" apart. It was so unstable he could barely ride it...he looked proud of it though.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    We have that whole Nanny State thing going too.

I try not to complain about the US Nanny State situation.
    I'd rather complain about the morons who keep re-electing them.

It seems the front brake is nearly always way too grippy on many bicycles. I dial them to assist the rear brakes on kids bikes or just remove them entirely.

Since this thread began I've more fat bikes on the rooves (is that a word?) of cars and less road/trail bikes as I travel the Interstate.
    They seem to really be catching on over here.
    Typically it stays grippy because it is rarely used. When still new, the rear break is what people use practice riding, even in the stand, so the front isn't broken in, which keeps it sticky. As long as you know what you are doing, in the US, it should be illegal to have the front break on the left side, so that you can signal with your other hand on the more powerful break. In Europe, that's how it works. All my bikes (that have hand breaks) have the European set-up reversed for this reason.
    Be the light.

Flashaholic*

I just stumbled over here and found this thread!
    Here is my new Borealis Echo. Don't mind the pedals, they were temporary until my RaceFace Atlas pedals got here. 4.8 tubeless front and back.
    Auto

Flashaholic*

Thank for posting your Fat Bike autogiro!!

I was in a nasty car accident in Dec., and have been out of commission since. I didn't get to ride all Winter, and I still can't ride now, which is killing me!! I just had shoulder surgery April 1st., and I have some other physical issues going on from the car accident that I need to take care of.

I did get my bike a tune up, so it IS ready for me ride, when I am able to ride again.

I put a deposit down on a Specialized Fatboy, this morning. I was on my motorcycle, on my way to work, so I couldn't go home with it today, but I pick it up tomorrow morning.

Pretty excited for it, and I'm actually looking forward to seeing some snow on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by dhunley1 View Post
    I put a deposit down on a Specialized Fatboy, this morning. I was on my motorcycle, on my way to work, so I couldn't go home with it today, but I pick it up tomorrow morning.

Pretty excited for it, and I'm actually looking forward to seeing some snow on the ground.
    Congrats on a nice bike. We would all love snow. To bad it rarely snows here in my town. But I do drive to it in the Sierra mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Offgridled View Post
    Congrats on a nice bike. We would all love snow. To bad it rarely snows here in my town. But I do drive to it in the Sierra mountains
    Thanks! Picked it up this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by dhunley1 View Post
    Thanks! Picked it up this morning.

Now I have to get one. Looks so sweet. But that means I can't be lazy anymore

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast