Early Fenix P3D repair A+ Customer Service

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
I have an early Fenix P3D flashlight that is about 8 years old. IIRC it has the Cree lamp. The power output is very low and the lowest setting is like a moonlight setting. I have cleaned, lubricated and tightened the tail piece. I have also bypassed the tail cap switch to no avail.

i like this flashlight enough to have it fixed but I have been unable to get any information on getting it repaired out of the Fenix service department.

What do you guys suggest?

thanks,

bob

ETA:

I heard back from The service department and the only parts that they have for the P3D are the switch components.

Last edited:

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Early Fenix P3D repair

Likely best bet is either a custom modder or researching some old fenix threads. I had issues with an equally old fenix p1 and p1d that fenix was no help whatsoever. Ended up buying another I found and keeping old one as potential parts.

Last edited:

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened

Fenix customer service asked me to send it in so tomorrow it is off to Shenzhen China.

I will keep this thread updated as this progresses.

Bob

ETA:
shipping via USPS was $10.20 which when you consider it is pretty reasonable.

Last edited:

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened

Interesting. Hope they can fix it.
Wonder if they'll put in a newer type led.
:popcorn:

Me too. It has given me good service for many years. I will post here when I hear from them. I have no idea how long it takes a package to go from New England to Shenzhen China.

Bob

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened

I heard back from Fenix today. It's not repairable. They don't have the parts. They have offered me a good discount on another flashlight.

The warranty is long past and I really appreciate the fact that they were happy to look at it for me to see if they could fix it and are offering me a discount on another light.

Great customer service. They went "above and beyond" for sure.

Bob

Last edited:

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened

I wanted to take a moment to update this thread.

As mentioned in my previous post Fenix offered me a good discount on another light which I used on a Fenix HL 50 as I had already purchased a Fenix PD35UE to replace the P3D that had failed.

I received a notice in my mail yesterday saying I had a small package from China at the post office. I was surprised when I opened the package and it contained a Fenix P2D.

It it was really nice of Fenix to send me a similar flashlight to replace my failed one. Especially when you consider that my flashlight was long out of warranty. Top shelf customer service for sure. It doesn't get any better than that.

bob

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the update. That sounds like great customer service for a light ~8 yrs old!
Funny, they had an old PD2 lying around.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an early Fenix P3D flashlight that is about 8 years old. IIRC it has the Cree lamp. The power output is very low and the lowest setting is like a moonlight setting. I have cleaned, lubricated and tightened the tail piece. I have also bypassed the tail cap switch to no avail.

i like this flashlight enough to have it fixed but I have been unable to get any information on getting it repaired out of the Fenix service department.

What do you guys suggest?

thanks,

bob

ETA:

I heard back from The service department and the only parts that they have for the P3D are the switch components.

I've got a still working P1D, which was/is my first foray into this new generation of LED lights. I was using Mini-Mags and two 6D MLs and I thought those were 'pimp city disco' at the time, as a kid of the early 60s.

The Fenix P1D blew me away and I hope it never dies. It's in my Zombie box, read to go, but I break it out every once in awhile and reminisce a bit.

I hope you get it fixed and there are people on who are pretty good fixing lights on this board, so check with them and see...maybe it's just a broken connection?

Chris

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's amazing that Fenix gave the OP a discount on a new light - in addition to a P2D - on a long-out-of-warranty light.

I've been carrying a P2D as my pocket EDC for about 8 or so years, and I have a backup if it ever dies.

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened

It's amazing that Fenix gave the OP a discount on a new light - in addition to a P2D - on a long-out-of-warranty light.

I've been carrying a P2D as my pocket EDC for about 8 or so years, and I have a backup if it ever dies.

My original intent was to have the light repaired as it had served me well and was perfect for what I used it for. I was totally blown away by their professionalism and level of service; which is why I wanted to share my experience.

Bob