eBay HID flashlight revisited

couver52

Newly Enlightened
Hi. Being relatively new to the forum, I am late to take an interest in topics covered thoroughly here in the past... the eBay HID lights being one of them. I recently purchased one of these eBay HID flashlights just as a starter, as it were, to getting into HID flashlights in general. However, how I am stuck with a very bright flashlight that isn't really good for anything that my smaller, lighter, more convenient LED flashlights don't already serve me quite well with. So I've decided to try and mod this eBay flashlight to make it a thrower. My first stop, replacing the crumby reflector. I've visited Phoenix Electroformed and selected a full parabolic reflector (model "PA1.10" with a high reflectivity coating -$95) which is the same diameter as the existing bezel, just longer (i.e. a "deep dish" parabolic reflector). I know this is not in any way the ideal width of reflector for throwing a beam. But it will only require that I lengthen or extend the flashlight head; not build a totally new head from scratch like I would have to do for a completely larger, wider reflector. Anyway, I've just been discussing my options with a sales rep at Phoenix Electroformed and in my last email I sent to him (which he'll get today) I've told him it's a go and to therefore send me the electronic invoice so I can proceed to pay for/order the reflector. By telling you people here about this, I'm hoping that if I a happen to be on the verge of making an expensive mistake here in opting for a deep, small width reflector, that maybe someone here with more knowledge and experience than I, would be so kind as to respond and comment. Thanks. -Couver52

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not that the community is tough, it's more of a "why?" Factor.
There are much better choices of host to mod, especially when you talk of new reflectors and such.
Deep yet smaller dia reflectors work best with the smallest point light source (I.e. Maxabeams xenon short arc).
With the much larger HID arc size, most (but not all people) utilize a very large yet shallower reflector (12"dia or so) to provide the most useful beam.
I'm not saying "don't do that" to your project, just giving you an idea as to why.
If you use the lowest wattage, high quality bulb you can source/afford with a high wattage ballast, you can create a throw beast, but beam pattern may be very ugly and cost will most likely be higher than a ready made HID thrower.

I guess what really matters is, what's your ultimate goal for this light? And work from there...

couver52

Newly Enlightened
Excuse me for being late in noticing your response. Yes, I've just done some reading up on the technology used in Maxabeams. They truly do have the smallest of light sources. If I recall, they utilize a UHP mercury-vapor lamp, which has an arc length just of a fraction that found in other "short arc" HIDs. I also realize what you're saying about what the predominant experience is with respect to what kind of reflector profile to use with typical larger "short arc" HIDs. My rationale in choosing a narrow deep reflector to replace the crappy original with was simply, (1) I'm not ready to do the more extensive work that a larger (broader) reflector will entail; and (2) I'm certain that, irrespective of whether or not I get the long distance beam I would like, whatever the quality of beam that results cannot disappoint in comparison to the crappy performance of the original. Although I'm still in the *planning stages as far as installing the new reflector, I have tried it out, aligning and holding in place it by hand I can say that this reflector definitely provides for a much tighter center-spot beam, if its profile on my ceiling is enough of an indicator. Also using this new reflector the beam gives off an air-glow that is discernible even within the confines of the house (with all the lights on, that is).

(* A need to provide for better heat dissipation from the reflector itself, as well as a logistical challenge of fashioning support structure to the tolerances suitable, in terms of its alignment, to hold the reflector precisely at a certain, but small and unforgiving, 'sweet spot'.)

By the way, thanks for the support. :)

couver52

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maxabeam uses a pure xenon short arc. Less than 1mm arc.

1. Understandable

2. Oh yes, absolutely! Almost any reflector upgrade will outperform most cheap stock units. I was just informing you of the concept basics as applied. :)
GL in your endeavors!

couver52

Newly Enlightened
You wrote: "Maxabeam uses a pure xenon short arc..."

Oops, you caught my error.

Edit: In my (now obvious) ignorance I had previously just took for granted that the 1mm scale arc length in Maxabeams could only be accounted for by, the very similarly scaled, UHP lamp technology. Glad to have learned something more on this. (Not so glad to have embarrassed myself, but I'll get over it. :))

Last edited:

couver52

Newly Enlightened
Just a quick comment to end this thread: I was just now reading the pdf "brochure" detailing the features of a Maxabeam HID. And now I wish I had done so a lot sooner. First I heard of Maxabeams, I checked their pricing and instantly decided, "okay, another decent flashlight alright, but like some other big names in this category seemed to be, obviously priced ridiculously high if only to discourage buyers inclined to use such an otherwise merely honest quality HID flashlight, irresponsibly. Now I see that Maxabeams are not merely high quality versions of what might be less skillfully at home thrown together at a much lower cost. For example, the following among a selection of special purpose lenses that appear to be standard in a Maxabeam kit, 'blows me away' and wishing I could come up with an excuse to buy one these for myself:

"3015 Collimating Lens: This lens uses plano convex lens technology to collimate the Maxa Beam's beam of light and redirect the spill light back into the beam. This results in an even field of view free from any dark spots."

Just too good not to want!

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]