Fenix LD75. Couple of questions

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
First question is pretty simple. I currently have a TK70 which I love. Problem is, the rechargeable D cells I use are starting to wear out. So, I'm looking hard at the LD75 to replace it. Anyone that has used both, how big a difference will there be between the two in real world useage? Reading info on them, it appears to have less throw but double the lumens.

Second question. What batteries would be recommended for this light? I've got several 18650s and really like my Eagletac 3400s. I'm looking to buy four new batteries dedicated just to this light. What would be the best affordable set of batteries with a high capacity that I can purchase?

I used to keep up with everything but after buying my last two Zebralights, I've kind of just gotten away from keeping up with both lights and the site.

Thanks for opinions offered.

Minimoog

Enlightened
I too skipped a couple of years of keeping up with new lights. I think that is because so many of the lights from the last 10 years are so good that it is easy to just 'be satisfied and get on using them' and not worry about the new. I have the LD75 (well, two actually) and am absolutely satisfied. I have only tried the TK70, but the 75 is much more of a light. More power and well constructed.
I use the LG batteries, the ones without the tops - ones with the extra nub feel too tight to me. My batteries are the 3500mAh ones. Seem decent enough.

I think you will be happy, however I would suggest at least looking at http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?140-Vinhnguyen54 as he supplies lightly modded lights that work better than stock (improvements). Hope that helped a little.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I too skipped a couple of years of keeping up with new lights. I think that is because so many of the lights from the last 10 years are so good that it is easy to just 'be satisfied and get on using them' and not worry about the new. I have the LD75 (well, two actually) and am absolutely satisfied. I have only tried the TK70, but the 75 is much more of a light. More power and well constructed.
I use the LG batteries, the ones without the tops - ones with the extra nub feel too tight to me. My batteries are the 3500mAh ones. Seem decent enough.

I think you will be happy, however I would suggest at least looking at http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?140-Vinhnguyen54 as he supplies lightly modded lights that work better than stock (improvements). Hope that helped a little.

I actually spoke with him about modding my 70 but for now, looking for something as bright or brighter and smaller.

So you are using flat top cells. Interesting.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I don't have any of the lights but have you checked the new tk75 or the nitecore tm16? Both offer 4000 lumens and more throw than the LD75

The Nitecore I've already ruled out due to all the failures Ive found online. The TK75 was originally what I was going to go for. However, in reading about it, it seemed to have a lot of throw but less spill. Where I live, its hilly and we have a lot of forest, so I felt that the wall of light that the LD seems to throw would be better suited for my needs. While I love having a light that throws way the heck out there, that would be more for show than for real life usage. The LD seemed a bit more useful for hikes, camping, etc.

kj75

Enlightened
I've had the TK70, but sold it. It was one of the most impressive lights I've had. Actual, the TM16 is a light (for me) like the TK70 was. The LD75 has amazing output, but less throw. TK75-2015 is a combination of the LD75 and TK75-2900 lumens.
Please check my review of the TK75-2015, where I used the lights we're talking about, except the TK70 ;)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...beamshots-compared-(also)to-TK75-2900-version

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore I've already ruled out due to all the failures Ive found online. The TK75 was originally what I was going to go for. However, in reading about it, it seemed to have a lot of throw but less spill. Where I live, its hilly and we have a lot of forest, so I felt that the wall of light that the LD seems to throw would be better suited for my needs. While I love having a light that throws way the heck out there, that would be more for show than for real life usage. The LD seemed a bit more useful for hikes, camping, etc.

Using the green light at night works well for walking. Great depth perception using green.

I've got both the stock LD75C and the Vinh modified LD75vnC light.

I had the four outside LED's replaced with dedomed versions and a current boost. Still has good spill light but throws further than the stock version. As a plus, you can use the center LED's white light portion for 200 lumens.