Nitecore: Help me choose please

discopanda

Newly Enlightened
Evening all,

I've browsed all over but still need some help. I've narrowed my search to two torches:

Nitecore P20 or;
Nitecore SRT7

But nothing is simple and I have some questions I hope you can help me with.

1. I like them both but am drawn towards the SRT7. Is there any reason not to get the SRT7? Will the P20 do anything better? I don't *need* 960 lumens except for bragging rights, but then again I don't need 800 either - its just nice to have.

2. I can't find the answer to this anywhere, but is it safe to run each torch at it's maximum setting for long periods of time? The fact they call it 'boost' worries me; is the LED being overdriven?

3. I know the SRT7 has 160lms more; but why is there such a huge difference in run time? 1h45min versus 4h30mins?

4. Will both of these torches have a similar beam spread?

Many thanks for your help.

Philip

Last edited by a moderator:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are both using the same LED emitter, down to the same bin. The only thing I can think of is that the driver needed to allow the infinite brightness adjustment is not as efficient as the simple fixed mode driver in the P20, although that would be a big difference. Maybe one of our driver gurus will be able to provide a better answer.

Xaios

Newly Enlightened
Without being a Nitecore guru, I find the P20's claim of running for 4.5 hours at 800 lumens on a single 2600mAh 18650 cell... difficult to swallow.

creegeek

Newly Enlightened
The ANSI specification says the runtime should be at least 30 or so seconds at the rated lumens and then finish at 10% of that number to meet the runtime requirement. For example: 1000 lumens for 30 seconds and then finish at 100 lumens after 4h 30mins.

Sooooo.... the P20 may thermally regulate its output to prevent overheating and acheive increased runtime :) The SRT7 may dissipate all the heat faster allowing it to burn the battery at full power (less runtime more light).

I own several Nitecore lights, not because they are necessarily the "best", but because I wanted to understand one product line and find lights that work for me. I do like their products BTW.

My advise, for what its worth, 100 lumens is plenty for a lot of activities, 250ish lumens is fantastic for medium distance and being seen by cars, 500-1000 lumens is fantastic for long distance and warning critters of your impending arrival. Focus on the UI... I've tried them all and really like tail-clicky with some sort of mode/memory.

The Nitecore P12GT is excellent for UI, memory, throw, and size. 1000 lumens will make the flashlight hot to hold after 8-10 minutes (depending on ambient temp).

Good luck! and post when you get your new light! :)

discopanda

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all. Still deciding. I'm pretty sure that Nitecore must update the SRT range soon though? Every other range has seen an update. Once they do that I'll make my decision.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ANSI specification says the runtime should be at least 30 or so seconds at the rated lumens and then finish at 10% of that number to meet the runtime requirement. For example: 1000 lumens for 30 seconds and then finish at 100 lumens after 4h 30mins.

Sooooo.... the P20 may thermally regulate its output to prevent overheating and acheive increased runtime :) The SRT7 may dissipate all the heat faster allowing it to burn the battery at full power (less runtime more light).

I own several Nitecore lights, not because they are necessarily the "best", but because I wanted to understand one product line and find lights that work for me. I do like their products BTW.

My advise, for what its worth, 100 lumens is plenty for a lot of activities, 250ish lumens is fantastic for medium distance and being seen by cars, 500-1000 lumens is fantastic for long distance and warning critters of your impending arrival. Focus on the UI... I've tried them all and really like tail-clicky with some sort of mode/memory.

The Nitecore P12GT is excellent for UI, memory, throw, and size. 1000 lumens will make the flashlight hot to hold after 8-10 minutes (depending on ambient temp).

Good luck! and post when you get your new light! :)
Neither light claims use of the new Automatic Thermal Regulation (ATR) feature, so - Assume the P20 uses the usual Nitecore feature of automatically stepping down on Turbo after a short time. On the other hand, since the SRT7 is using the infinite brightness adjustment the driver has no easy way of determining when or if to step down when the light is at max brightness. Would that make enough difference when added to possible driver efficiency differences to account for the difference in claimed run times?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it helps you any? If you were to put the two side by side on high, your eyes would have a hard time noticing the difference in lumens. Once you get to that level it is harder to tell. So I would basically think of them as virtually the same output.

Hope that helps you decide some.

If it is any help to you, I have the SRT7 and use it often. Great light with lots of choices and a useful UI. I also got the outrageous attack bezel for it - just for fun.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Owning both lights I can say that the hot spot on the SRT7 is smaller than that of the P20. The hot spot is also brighter when shown on a white wall.
The SRT7, the variable light levels allow for lighting from firefly to full brightness. If you have a need for colored lights, this light has them. Beacon mode works well for signaling. The holster is a sore spot as the tail of the light hangs through. The other issue to me is having both a tail mounted switch to energize the light and the ring to change modes isn't fast to operate.

The P20 is an inch shorter and 1/2" smaller in diameter than the SRT7. The tail mounted power button and paddle switch are convenient to operate. The light is fully enclosed in the holster. The paddle switch gives instant access to strobe as well as mode changes.

The SRT7 retails for $120 verses $75 for the P20.

The SRT7 flashing red,blue Cop mode light is fun to play with, but really not needed in my case.

Yes, the flashy bits on the SRT7 are nice but not all that useful in my view. The light itself is greater number.

Owning both lights I can say that the hot spot on the SRT7 is smaller than that of the P20. The hot spot is also brighter when shown on a white wall.
The SRT7, the variable light levels allow for lighting from firefly to full brightness. If you have a need for colored lights, this light has them. Beacon mode works well for signaling. The holster is a sore spot as the tail of the light hangs through. The other issue to me is having both a tail mounted switch to energize the light and the ring to change modes isn't fast to operate.

The P20 is an inch shorter and 1/2" smaller in diameter than the SRT7. The tail mounted power button and paddle switch are convenient to operate. The light is fully enclosed in the holster. The paddle switch gives instant access to strobe as well as mode changes.

The SRT7 retails for $120 verses $75 for the P20.

The SRT7 flashing red,blue Cop mode light is fun to play with, but really not needed in my case.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the srt 6. Slightly smaller than the 7, alot simpler, cheaper too ? The ring lights are great, any brightness you like when you like.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
Without being a Nitecore guru, I find the P20's claim of running for 4.5 hours at 800 lumens on a single 2600mAh 18650 cell... difficult to swallow.

I want to like Nitecore, I've looked at them extensively and I think they have one of the best websites out there. The problem I see is a lot of broken down lights... probably more than the others, but maybe they sell more than the others, I don't know. The other thing is I think they pad their specs. From the comparison testing I've seen, Nitecore sometimes doesn't meet their claimed specs. Not to rain on anyones parade, but that's what held me off from buying one. On the plus side, they offer cool designs, more modes and more interesting options, that I wish Fenix and some of the others would follow. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy!

creegeek

Newly Enlightened
I want to like Nitecore, I've looked at them extensively and I think they have one of the best websites out there. The problem I see is a lot of broken down lights... probably more than the others, but maybe they sell more than the others, I don't know. The other thing is I think they pad their specs. From the comparison testing I've seen, Nitecore sometimes doesn't meet their claimed specs. Not to rain on anyones parade, but that's what held me off from buying one. On the plus side, they offer cool designs, more modes and more interesting options, that I wish Fenix and some of the others would follow. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy!

I have several NC lights... they're all running just fine.

Latest posts