EverLED for D-cell M4Glites

AvroArrow

Enlightened
I'm sorta new here so please bear with me. I already did a search for EverLED and only got 2 hits, and they didn't quite answer my question. I'm interested in getting 3 white ones to drop into my existing M4Glites (couple 3D-cell & one 6D-cell). I know that it'll give me longer and more efficient runtime and more shock resistance, but I wanted to know how bright they are compared to the stock kryptonite bulbs, e.g. 2x, 3x??? The only review I found was on The LED Museum, but the reviewer wasn't using it in a M4G w/kryptonite bulbs and also didn't post before and after mcd numbers (or do mcd measurements not apply to incandecents?), just the resulting mcd figures.

I also read from one of the previous posts that the EverLED has a slight greenish tint. Is this common on all of them, or just luck of the draw? Basically what I want to know is whether it's worth the $40US (triple what I paid for my 3D M4G), e.g. will I get 2x or 3x the performance benefit from it. (I just bought my first LED flashlight (Arc AAA) for Xmas, and now I want to convert all my existing lights to LEDs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Turt

Enlightened
I personally found it a better investment just to buy new luxeon flashlights... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif The two everleds that I did have were very white but not as bright as the stock bulbs. Enjoy your lights whatever you choose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the everled is about the same in brightness as 2D - 3D maglites lamp. so if you are changing the 6D one, the brightness of the everled will be subpar to the original. maybe it will be the same though with the 3D lamp.

It is luck of the draw. I believe ledsupply sell the greenie ones for the price of a second, dunno if that still apply.
if you want a simple and elegant solution, then everled is a good choice. becareful not to reverse the polarity, though. you will get more than 2x performance, but not interms of added brightness. Rather, you get a more efficient, long running, resistant to shock, and regulated light for your existing mag.
Btw, everled is not using led, it is using luxeon, about 15x brightness of your arc AAA.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
shiftd said:
.......Rather, you get a more efficient, long running, resistant to shock, and regulated light for your existing mag.
Btw, everled is not using led, it is using luxeon, about 15x brightness of your arc AAA.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue"> Are you sure the everled is regulated? </font>

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for buying LED lights and buying xenon bulbs for the maglites I bought one for a two cell and one for my five cell but I am going to put a four cell xenon bulb in my five cell and see how long it takes to blow it.The xenon bulbs DO improve them a whole bunch!!!BTW Lowes and Home Depot are supposed to carry the xenon bulbs but it depends on what they have had calls for, the squeaking wheel gets the grease.they DO have the Part#s.

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
There are lots of post on the EverLED. Make sure to search all forums and any time frame. You will get the newest first. The EverLED is regulated but has certain points. It will operate on 1 to 6 primary cells. After some simple testing I decide, at least on the one I received, that 3-5 primary cells or 4-6 secondary (rechargeable) cells would be best. The increased number of cells increase the runtime and not the brightness. The minimum cells gives maximum brightness over the most part of the standard discharge curve. My basic test data was posted here.

AvroArrow

Enlightened
Thanks for the info everyone. I was in fact looking for increased brightness more than runtime and shock resistance, without having to seriously mod the light (that's why I was looking at the EverLED in the first place, it was simple, but alas...not cheap).

I guess I'll just get the xenon bulbs instead and just save up for an Arc LS-something instead. In the mean time, I'll get myself a few Opalec NewBeams for the 3 2AA MiniM4Gs I've got around here. Those ultra bright BB & MM sandwiches are very tempting, but again, not cheap at $40-50US. And there doesn't seem to be any BB400 w/white LS drop in kits (I'm not very good with small scale soldering otherwise I'd just get a BB400 board and find a LS emitter somewhere) available at the sandwich shoppe.

[ QUOTE ]
gwbaltzell said:
There are lots of post on the EverLED. Make sure to search all forums and any time frame. You will get the newest first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I missed the time frame selection box, once I set it for 1 year, I got lots more hits. thanks!