Nite-ize VS. Terralux which is the better drop-in?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Wondering which LED will work better or if it just comes down to whichever is cheapest.

Imo Nite Ize is a better beam
TerraLUX is a lot brighter.
Speaking in terms of mini mags that is.

^^ nite ize

^^ terra lux

Both seemed fragile in terms of abuse, but I've dropped both lights from 6' onto a wooden deck numerous times and both still worked.

The TerraLUX I put in a Streamlight recently is pretty nice. Similar to the mini mag type.

If you want light a long ways, the TerraLUX is worth the extra dough. Think it was about $15 shipped.

^^ the TerraLUX.
Nite Ize is more floody, broadcasting light. Great room/tent/campsite/engine bay lighter.

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a 3C get a Malkoff if you can. I've owned both. Yes the terralux is brighter but the Malkoff has great heat sinking

bykfixer

Flashaholic
What light are you upgrading?

The Malkoff is great great great for the D cell lights too.

Now I have a Streamlight Strion TerraLUX drop in for the TL 2 that aint bad at all. Also fits the night fighter.

^^ TerraLUX 135 lumens

^^ TerraLUX at 500'

^^ Streamlights LED 160 Lumens

^^ the 500' throw

So the TerraLUX drop in for Streamlight are awesome.
But if Malkoff made one. I'd be like Terra-who?

Ok, the 55 lumen Nite Ize ($8) for the Mag C/D size.

^^ so easy to install even I could do it

^^ way better spot than the zenon bulb

^^ and throw? you betcha
But that's due to the Mag reflector.
I'll Malkoff this one some day, but for now it'll get great battery life and have years of LED life vs hours of inan.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Nite Ize vs TerraLUX for a 2-3 C/D size mag:

Nite Ize $7.99. TerraLUX $22.
NI is 55 lumens TL is 140
NI has a fairly cool beam. TL is more neutral.

Nite Ize fits any light that has the edison size n style bulb. Or any halogen n xenon of the same retainer as the mag lite.
TerraLUX is larger in diameter and keepers for the Mag xenon has to be drilled.

Now in use other than a slightly cooler beam I could not see enough extra output from the TerraLUX to warrant nearly 3x the price.
Maybe the TL is more durable? Time will tell. But I was bummed to have to modify my flashlight in order to get the keeper over the module.
Pix were auto white balanced. There isn't any green in the TerraLUX beam in real life.

^^ you saw the Nite Ize package in the previous post

^^ TerraLUX wall shot at 10'+/-

^^ the Nite Ize

^^ the TerraLUX throw

^^ Nite Ize throw

As you can see the neighbors car and shed are slightly illuminated in the TerraLUX beam.

Beam shots confirmed my indoor suspicions...that there aint a nickles worth of difference from either module in real world use.

The TerraLUX is brighter. (as seen in the throw pix) But not by much. At least in a xenon converted 2D Mag.

^^ using these to install a drop in aint cool imo.

Bottom line imo, either one is fine. But, bar-ing durability/reliability issues I'll buy TerraLUX modules for incan mini mags and Nite Ize for C/D size Mags.
Plenty bright for finding your way around without all that flashback in close quarters situation for about $5-10 less than the blue beam LED models.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old Eveready 3D lantern (circa 2007) that has a central PR107 for the first setting, three 5m cold white LEDs for the second, and a single 5m very dim amber light for the third. As far as I can tell either upgrade should fit the lantern.

All things equal, I would like the warmer TerraLUX, but don't want to pay that much more. Anyone else have any experience in this type of replacement, or any other options to offer?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ if you're looking for more runtime and light emitter life, Nite Ize are great for that.

But in my aa mag and D size the TerraLUX all things considered is nothing close to incan warm. It is a nicer, almost cream color beam.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I think for the aa mini mag the TerraLUX is worth the extra coin for the 'holy cow that's bright' output vs the Nite Ize. If you prefer operating that one by tailcap the Nite Ize clicky is ok vs having to twist the tail cap to turn it off.

But for the D size lights I'm sticking with the Nite Ize. Especially for xenon mags where you have to modify the retainer that holds in the module.
I found a kit at home depot to replace the retainer and stuck it in the Mag tail cap with the incan guts n bulbs so if ever deciding to go back incan on say Halloween, etc.
C'mon, it's a Mag...the Nite Ize beam is still a dang site better than the blue-meany Mag beam.

Skimo

Newly Enlightened
Got the nite-ize in the mail today, not terribly bright. I didn't follow the instructions and removed the plastic plate that functions as the switch, the reason was beam pattern was unsatisfactory without the extra room that the switch was taking. The lens assembly was less than a quarter turn from falling off while being focused. Hope this makes sense. Thanks for the advice.